Free standalone drum machine??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tattiemannie wrote:... with my thoughts swinging towards leafdrums2 cos it seems foolproof ( and yet versatile .... and would be more so if reverb was an option in the fx menu. ) .... very straightforward!
an underrated program, one of the only software drum machines that allows you to program triplets. My only problem: it sometimes loops the decay of that last cymbal hit into the beginning of the output .wav file, this can be avoided, but it takes some work.
Yes, I will take your drum samples.

I read this thread and I remember a nice little app that I bought some years ago.
This tool is not free, ok, but very cheap with interest options.
Its a standalone drummachine, has midi out, it writes and read drumtabs,
can save or print out the tabs as a text file and save the pattern as a midifile.
I thought it might be an interesting information here.

http://www.underwaredesign.com/prod_detail.php?id=14

Nix808, I realise I may have come across as a bit flippant with my comment about the bush-fires .... having relatives in oz, and a partner who spent a few years there, I dont underestimate the seriousness of the situation, and hope the outcome can be as favourable as possible for you and others affected.

Sorry if my comments may have caused offence.

It's alright tattiemannie, I like your manner. No offence at all. I'll get back into this thread when I can show you some developments.

Kinglake where so many have passed is the locale next from mine. We need better communications here in such circumstances maybe. It's shattering, lots of connections to those directly affected.

Kind regards

PS-If I called you flip it would be the pot calling the kettle black :)

Good stuff nix808, yeah I can enjoy being a bit cheeky, or stirrin it up sometimes, but sometimes how a post reads on a forum can ring to a different tone than what is intended. :)

Oh well, just spent a couple of hours talking my friend through the workings of leafdrums among other stuff, and all was going as well as could be expected, until what I was somehow led to believe was a 'crappy-lappy', turned out to be a new lappy, with Vista installed! ... Oh shit! Windows 95 I could have coped with, but between his inexperience of installing music progs, and my non-experience of Vista, there was no way we could persuade that leafdrums setup file to perform .... even going to properties and setting the compatability didn't work .... ho hum! :(

Well, I'd recommend MDrummer. It works in VST and standalone, has sound and rhythm systems, so you can jam with it, but you can connect it to any MIDI source (electric drumset) too...

You can see tutorials at www.meldaproduction.com/mdrummer/video.php

And the "MDrummer Small" version is totally free...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I'd like to recommend Drhumba. It's a very simple pattern sequencer but with some nice functions under the hood and building patterns into songs is dead easy. It was my first software drum machine (on a Pentium I, lol).

Screeny:

It's not free, but it is cheap! I can't comment on it's Vista compatibility but there is a functional demo (save disabled). Hope this helps.
"are we there yet?"

Thanks osci, Melda, JohnnyG, ... I need to consider wider, so your input is well appreciated! ...
mDrummer is great ... but way too much for the guy I'm 'indoctrinating' .. maybe sometime in the future though. osci, that app looks cool as a means of familiarising my mate with what drum patterns look like .... will certainly recommend he takes a look at it.
Johnny G, that looks promising! I'll give it a try.

I did manage to explain to my friend the various elements of music creation software .. eg, DAW, host, vst, sample, sample sets, sequencer etc, etc, and that what he requires is at the most basic level, something that creates patterns of triggered samples, and sequences those patterns as per his songs.

So rather than concentrate totally on 'standalone drum machine' I may be looking at a free/inexpensive no frills sample sequencer. But it needs to be able to sequence drum patterns.

Perhaps there may be a vst which can work as a standalone within something like Savihost? My friend is going to try get his hands on another lappy with xp, or have xp installed on a partition on his laptop .... so we might be OK with what we have for now, but I will continue to try out other devices as a 'plan B' ... so if anyone has any other ideas, I would be glad to hear them :)

Maybe you can also find one of the older magazines, which had Limelite Solo on their CD.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... melite&L=1

BFunKu wrote:Someone posted this in another forum. There are quite a few standalone Drum Machines in there too.
http://drop.io/freedrumsoftware
Another wicked link, BFun. :tu: :D
I've got nothing to sell...am I on the right site?

whatever happened to "lunchbox"? I loved that little freebie.

Theres a link to lunchbox above somewhere .... Great fun!! ... not suited to the purpose of this thread, but I'm def gonna keep it handy! .... got a good feeling it'll find a use at some point :)

Hmmm Rhumba is nearly there, a lot of compromises though.

Tried out more than a dozen more, some not bad, some not very good, none really suitable.

However, Acoustica Beatcraft ticks all the boxes and more!!! ....very straightforward, and it runs on Vista.

Its not free, but its not expensive either. Definitely one I will recommend to my colleague .... and one I will surely have a bit of a play with while my 7 day trial is valid!

Haven't had any success in getting a copy of Limelite solo, a lot of broken links, and 'last hurdle snags'. Have written to NI, so fingers crossed ... cos it looks great!

I'm on a simular mission as you (but for a Win98 machine, not Vista). Have you tried MoonFish yet??
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Instruments”