Largo demo version available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krakatau wrote:
pedx1ng wrote:
polyslax wrote:Great synth with fantastic presence imo. Unique, lively and aggressive sounds pour out of it.
Change a couple words and this could describe a fine wine. :wink:
- in this case, i'm afraid our friend polyslax has become an incurable alcoholic !

:clown:
Oh my,

:drunk:

the word is out.
Image Image

:lol:

i think to be honest that it is time for me to get some rest...

:zzz:

bye !

I've just played around with this synth in much more detail through Cubase 4 (where it runs much better than Ableton Live Lite). I can confidently say that this is the only VSTi that sounds anything like my Virus TI at all, it actually sounds really good.

The 3/16 delay is actually 1/8. incase you guys were searching for it too.

CPU usage is about 2/3 of Massive here, so not awfully bad.

I think I might actually have to pick up a copy at some point :)

P.S.: The GUI is still very very sluggish

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

replicant X wrote: The GUI is too Large to display on my enviroment.
Largo GUI is smaller than Massive and Gladiator btw, and perfectly fitted on my laptop. Don't like small GUIs, hard to read.
Last edited by Igro on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I guess resizeable Gui's are always the best, but on my system I have no problem with the GUI size.
rsp
sound sculptist

Finally tried Largo today.
I must say that presets, as in most other synths, suck. There is too much weird unmusical stuff only useable to torture enemies with :) (I am not against weird stuff at all, on the contrary, I love it, but only if it's actually pleasant sounding, and Largo's presets are not)
But when I tried to make my own sounds, I really loved the synth - great filters, nice FM options, and very good sound overall. I also experimented with making similar sounds on Largo and my Virus Ti Snow, and in many cases I've actually preferred Largo. Of course, they're very different synths and are not interchangeable, so my Virus of course won't go anywhere.
I will certainly buy Largo after they release the downloadable version.
And, by the way, soundpalace, the delay has actual 1/8 value, you must've missed it :)
Last edited by Megakazbek on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It seems like a nice size to me, no larger than VC or Massive, Im running 1280x800 for my DAW. I've written to Waldorf asking about the slow GUI, it's almost impossible to use like this, I feel like I'm on a Pentium II :)

It does lack one important thing for me though, a hypersaw type wave. But apart from that, it's a really sweet sounding unit, definitely worth $300, but can you buy it online for Waldorf as a download?

Largo has great all round features.. if you don't like the supplied sound banks then just initialize all and make your own.
All in all this is a total Electro machine in my opinion.You can get excellent sounds out of this and the filters are brilliant.
It does'nt cut the Hypersaw though as far as im concerned (get Sylenth for this).
For anything else it's perfect.Iv'e requested some features on the Waldorf boards but have'nt had a reply yet.

Feature request:

Make Reverb/Delay available on both FX1 & FX2 and impliment L+R Delay controls instead of just one :)

I find it goes easier on my cpu when starting from an INIT patch as i don't tend to create massive weird laden fx pads.
For Electro House/Minimal etc you can't go wrong.Im working on full tracks with just Largo it's also excellent for drum sounds/loops etc..possibilities are endless here.

I just hope Wolfram seen my request

Rob

Igro wrote:
replicant X wrote: The GUI is too Large to display on my enviroment.
Largo GUI is smaller than Massive and Gladiator btw, and perfectly fitted on my laptop. Don't like small GUIs, hard to read.
Must be the resolution, it's largoer than massive on my monitor. Massive, Largo, who's got the biggest name? :lol:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

uh, do you need a dongle to run the demo?

when i installed the demo, it seemed to want to install a Syncro Soft license...i tried to launch the VST in Sonar 8, and a plug in scan caused the DAW to lock up after no license was found...i have the email with the code, but never got to the point where i had to enter it...

i'm confused...i'll be restarting my PC now :hihi:

Not sure about the demo version but i can tell you that Largo...once up and running is perfect in Sonar 8 :)

Rob

I've also been trying out Largo for the past few days and I do like the overall sound. Like many have commented I found the presets to be pretty weak (too many weird, badly balanced, terrible EQd, screaming, distorted noises that make no sense) though most Doc T's presets stood out as usable and more than often quite nice. Seems like he was the only sound designer who actually makes music with Largo as he has some presets that aren't fully drenched in FX and not always with a super wide stereo spread.

Simple is beautiful sometimes.. especially in a synth like this that sounds good with just some filtered saw waves. Just because one can go completely nuts with the thing doesn't mean one should. A large portion of the other presets sounded like a randomizer was used to start the preset building process and then simple lazy clean-up.

Anyhow, the synth GUI is extremely sluggish on my laptop and NOT a joy to use. It's also taken me longer than usual to understand the layout and to remember it. The preset browser and way of presentation with all the random presets is just sad for the year 2009. The devil is in the details and this synth misses a lot of small details which makes it feel a bit hurried.

Sound quality nice. It's definitely got it's own character, like Waldorf usually does and this is a real strength in this "me too!" market. The envelopes can be extremely snappy and nice while the oscillators have that strange Waldorf wavetable sound. You can hear that looping thing going on even on basic waveforms and some strange aliasing in the higher registers, which is kind of the Waldorf sound. Like somebody else commented it would have been nice to be able to switch the wavetables to even lower bit depth and thus get that classic more grungy quality. Perhaps in an update?

The effects are average. I found the reverb to be pretty unusable but as I usually use external effects I don't really consider built in ones to be that important. It would be nice with good ones of course but it's not the end of the world if they suck.

I'm not going to buy the synth though as I'm completely spoiled for choice. If I didn't have Alchemy, FabFilter Twin 2 and Gladiator as my main weapons of choice (and many more including some hardware) in the soft synth world then I'd definitely consider picking this up. My guess is that the Waldorf Largo and FXpansion synth squad would make an awesome combination for anybody who is starting out.

So my first impressions would be as follows;

Sound quality = 9
Built in effects = 7
GUI = 7
Presets = 5
Overall Execution and concept = 7

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Nice review bManic.

I agree with the preset and the preset menu being completely out of place in such a hi-class synth.

The GUI might be a bit slow on my Mac too, but nothing that spoils the experience.

rob_lee wrote:Not sure about the demo version but i can tell you that Largo...once up and running is perfect in Sonar 8 :)

Rob
:bang: tried installing again...keeps going to the Syncro Soft prompt...the d/l page info from Waldorf said nothing about it, indicated i would be prompted to provide the code (which i received via email), never got to that point...so i didn't try opening the VST again...

too bad, i used to have a MWII and liked it a lot, just could never get it to work with Sound Diver...

btw: does Largo allow user waves/wave tables? i have Kubik 2, i enjoy "rolling my own", although the results aren't always great, still fun...

Return to “Instruments”