Largo demo version available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a problem with only being able to use a few of the wave forms with the demo license the other more complex waveforms passed Resonant only play the Resonant waveform i thought it was full functionality... :?

MaxSynths wrote:About presets... Well I really like, for example, DocT presets for Synth1 (and other synths) which are a beautiful example of sound design and creativity. Why also DocT presets doesn't sound so interesting in Largo?
I disagree. I really liked a lot of the Largo presets. One thing I thought was, if you don't have an aftertouch equipped keyboard you're missing 1/3 the preset on a lot of them. The combo of working the aftertouch and mod wheel lends itself to some great things.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I have a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, and usually I use any control available to enhance the expression of the sound.

sophtrazor wrote:I have a problem with only being able to use a few of the wave forms with the demo license the other more complex waveforms passed Resonant only play the Resonant waveform i thought it was full functionality... :?
You can drag the waveform for browsing through the 128 waves (0...127) of the specific wavetable. The last waves (122-127) in each wavetable are the standard waveforms like saw, triangle, square. You can also frag the number on top right of the wave graphics to do the browsing. The slider "Wave" below is for the modulation of the wavetable by e.g. LFO or envelopes.

I have the full version but as far as i heard from other people here the demo is fully functional.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

zerocrossing wrote:The combo of working the aftertouch and mod wheel lends itself to some great things.
Don't forget trying the pitch bender. My patches often use pitchbend for something different than pitch. With Largo's mathematical operators you can even "split" pitchbend to achieve completely different modulations for pitchbend up and down.
Last edited by DocT on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

May somebody explain to me how to use modifiers in Largo? What effect they give and how to set up them.

Modifiers are mathematical operations the result of which you can use as a modulation source. If you want to try them out it may be best to setup a mod slot with Modifier1 as source and pitch as destination and a medium or pretty high modulation amount. With pitch modulations it's easiest to hear what happens.

Example: setup a modifier with envelope 3 as source A and LFO1 as source B, operator * (mulitply). Now the valuse of the envelope and the LFO are combined, means you hear the LFO modulating pitch as long as the envelope values are above zero.

Other example: Setup a modifier with Pitchbend as source A, Constant=0 as source B and Max as operator. This will deliver the maximum value of either pitchbend or 0, means if you move the bender upwards, pitch will rise, but if you'll move it down (negative pitchbend amounts) the result will be zero. Means no pitch modulation. You can then use pitch down via another modifier to make a completely different modulation (open the filter or so).

MaxSynths wrote:About presets... Well I really like, for example, DocT presets for Synth1 (and other synths) which are a beautiful example of sound design and creativity. Why also DocT presets doesn't sound so interesting in Largo?
I am shocked by hearing this coming from you. Aren't you a synth developer or something? :o

Pretty naive comment from you IMHO. You have some skill. Use them. Obviously they are pushed behind at this point of time.

DocT wrote:Modifiers are mathematical operations the result of which you can use as a modulation source. If you want to try them out it may be best to setup a mod slot with Modifier1 as source and pitch as destination and a medium or pretty high modulation amount. With pitch modulations it's easiest to hear what happens.

Example: setup a modifier with envelope 3 as source A and LFO1 as source B, operator * (mulitply). Now the valuse of the envelope and the LFO are combined, means you hear the LFO modulating pitch as long as the envelope values are above zero.

Other example: Setup a modifier with Pitchbend as source A, Constant=0 as source B and Max as operator. This will deliver the maximum value of either pitchbend or 0, means if you move the bender upwards, pitch will rise, but if you'll move it down (negative pitchbend amounts) the result will be zero. Means no pitch modulation. You can then use pitch down via another modifier to make a completely different modulation (open the filter or so).
Thanks DocT! I will try it later today.

I finally had some time to mess with this from an init patch...
After doing this I do agree that the presets are pretty lame. They don't show off the filters, the snappy envelopes or these great drive curves.
The drive curves really seperate this from other vsti. IMO most drive type stuff in the filter is usually pretty useless in vst land while each one of these provide a nice and pleasing tonal color. The filters are great as expected.
I think this thing completely mops the floor of something like Massive. Better on every level and especially in the overall sound.
Will I buy it? Naaa..I really have no need for this but hats off to Waldorf for bringing such a nice VA sound to the softsynth world.

DocT wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:The combo of working the aftertouch and mod wheel lends itself to some great things.
Don't forget trying the pitch bender. My patches often use pitchbend for something different than pitch. With Largo's mathematical operators you can even "split" pitchbend to achieve completely different modulations for pitchbend up and down.
Ooooo... I will try that. Thanks for the tip. I'm also a big fan of assigning pitchbend to aftertouch, but that's probably because I'm mostly a guitar player.

I thought this synth was going to come with a collection of generic 80ish and trance style presets and I was happy to hear it didn't dwell on those types much at all, though it seems to cover bread and butter type sounds as well. Here that devs? Demo versions are very important.

Again, I'll chime in and say I really like your Largo presets and I guess you can chock it up to my old saying, "You can't please everyone, but you can make everyone miserable." You haven't made me miserable, so try harder! ;)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well, I'm listening to your Cryologic demo tracks now and as far as I can tell there's nothing remotely interesting happening there, so perhaps it's a matter of taste and not quality?
Zerocrossing Media

DocT wrote:
Don't forget trying the pitch bender. My patches often use pitchbend for something different than pitch.
yes I noticed that last night....not a fan of that at all, but to each his own.
rsp

kmonkey wrote:
I am shocked by hearing this coming from you. Aren't you a synth developer or something? :o

Pretty naive comment from you IMHO. You have some skill. Use them. Obviously they are pushed behind at this point of time.
Why shocked? There are some sound designers which are respected for their work, there's no need to name Tim Conrardy, I think... I must admit that when I try a synth if I see some preset programmed by some of my favourite sound designers I focus my attention on those patches to see what they have succeded to squeeze from the synth. DocT is one of my favourite but also his patch in Largo are not so good as usual. Obiouvsly the opinion on a synth haven't to be limited to preset sounds, in fact I have explained before (maybe in a harsh way) the reasons why I don't like Largo.

Cheers,

Max

zerocrossing wrote:
Well, I'm listening to your Cryologic demo tracks now and as far as I can tell there's nothing remotely interesting happening there, so perhaps it's a matter of taste and not quality?
:lol: I know you was tempted to say this and you do it. :hihi: You are free to think what you want, obiouvsly. Anyway Cryologic is what it is: a rompler with a soundfont library, basic controls, a couple of arpeggiators and nothing more. It is clean and simple and has been conceaived as something simple, light on CPU, easy to use and cheap because there's no need to sell a piece of software for XYZ dollars.

About the sounds of Cryologic I think that can't be emulated with... Largo :D

Return to “Instruments”