Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Nitrox is really nice

Debutante
KVRAF

2849 posts since 15 Jan, 2005, from Ottawa, Ontario

Postby Debutante; Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Again... quite an fantastic synth. There is sooooooooooo much that's possible with this it's f**king incredible. HUGE!!!!!!! One of the biggest freebies out there for sure. But it did crash sequencer when changing presets. That's the only problem encountered so far.

FL Studio 8
AMD Phenom II 940
WinXP Pro SP3
AL321
KVRist

294 posts since 9 Feb, 2009

Postby AL321; Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Well i never thought i'd be wanting to use a freeware synth on a daily basis, but this one is going straight onto my A-list. I normally avoid freeware, but i downloaded a bunch of them last night, and this was one of them.
Decided to make a quick DnB wobble-bass to check it out, a couldn't believe what i'd just been given for free. I love the filters and they are so perfectly controllable with those envelopes, and then when i found the oscillator wave shapers, i realised this guy really should be getting some money for this.

He spent 3 years refining this? Well i hope he gets some hard donations, that's all i can say. Seriously... at least £50 for this. It's gonna be replacing some of my synths that cost £150 and up. And that's just from after making one bassline on it.

A bit worrying to hear some people are getting crashes, i ran it smoothly for about an hour with no probs. Lets hope we can give him enough donations to keep him interested in updating.
Last edited by AL321 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JediMind
KVRian

612 posts since 21 Oct, 2006

Postby JediMind; Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 am

Yes, he needs as many donations as possible. If you haven't noticed, he exported the Phaser effect as a separate VST :wink: I've been looking for a new phaser for quite some time.
Debutante
KVRAF

2849 posts since 15 Jan, 2005, from Ottawa, Ontario

Postby Debutante; Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm

AL321 wrote:Well i never thought i'd be wanting to use a freeware synth on a daily basis, but this one is going straight onto my A-list. I normally avoid freeware, but i downloaded a bunch of them last night, and this was one of them.
Decided to make a quick DnB wobble-bass to check it out, a couldn't believe what i'd just been given for free. I love the filters and they are so perfectly controllable with those envelopes, and then when i found the oscillator wave shapers, i realised this guy really should be getting some money for this.

He spent 3 years refining this? Well i hope he gets some hard donations, that's all i can say. Seriously... at least £50 for this. It's gonna be replacing some of my synths that cost £150 and up. And that's just from after making one bassline on it.

A bit worrying to hear some people are getting crashes, i ran it smoothly for about an hour with no probs. Lets hope we can give him enough donations to keep him interested in updating.

Some synths are worth using despite the rare crash here and there :wink: just backup....
grymmjack
KVRAF

8888 posts since 6 Apr, 2003

Postby grymmjack; Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:35 pm

this is a nice synth for free, but man the filters just dont do it for me.
metalifuxx
KVRAF

2250 posts since 22 Mar, 2005, from Detroit

Postby metalifuxx; Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Wrote a little tune right away using the Clav preset. Has anyone designed some presets for this yet?
do_androids_dream
KVRAF

2550 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 am

grymmjack wrote:this is a nice synth for free, but man the filters just dont do it for me.

i kind of agree here - they lack 'character' imo although this works in its favour for pads and other less obtrusive sounds that sit lower in the mix. its definitely going to find a use for those kind of duties. enourmous modulation possibilities too

btw, not free but donationware :wink:
grymmjack
KVRAF

Postby grymmjack; Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:53 am

ah, ok but i didn't donate yet. so it was free at the time of the post :)

i think the dev is extremely talented (sonic lion) but i think he's got a very unique ear for certain sounds he likes, it was clear listening to the organs and piano presets, really beautiful sounds imo.

the filter resonance just isn't there, i guess i was expecting a nice squelchy multi-filter (going by the layout of the screenies alone this thing looked like it was huge and i just assumed the filter section was equally vast), but i guess i was wrong.

for some sounds it's probably great. i really do like the modulation system, and there is a ton of power to behold in this thing, but the filter has to be up to snuff for me to want to find and wield that power - too many other synths competing for my time ya know?

i do wish the dev best of luck and i think he's very talented and very generous, mainly only complaint is the filter - that said /is/ a butterworth filter really like this behavior wise in other synths that implement them? i've heard of this filter type before on the dsp forum, and is it correct that the pro-53 has one of these? i seem to recall discussing that - however the pro53 filter had lots of yummy res to play with.
grymmjack
KVRAF

Postby grymmjack; Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 am

hrm. gonna try following this with volcano :love:
AL321
KVRist

294 posts since 9 Feb, 2009

Postby AL321; Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:52 am

grymmjack wrote:the filter resonance just isn't there, i guess i was expecting a nice squelchy multi-filter (going by the layout of the screenies alone this thing looked like it was huge and i just assumed the filter section was equally vast), but i guess i was wrong.

You could try assigning parameter 1 to both resonance and saturation, so it doesn't lose so much power when you increase the resonance.
I know what you mean about it being a bit limited though when it comes to what you can assign to one filter, but there is five filters there, if you change the effects sections to 'filter'. I've got some really nice bass out of this thing, and with a 2% cpu hit, custom waveform shaping and nice, fast, accurate filtershaping, this is IMO an amazing piece of free/donationware.

Maybe it's because this has totally filled a gap that was annoying me so much in my setup... dunno. Have had a couple of crashes, but i'm still giving this guy at least £30 on payday.
Last edited by AL321 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
eidenk
KVRAF

2251 posts since 29 Nov, 2004

Postby eidenk; Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:58 am

AL321 wrote:A bit worrying to hear some people are getting crashes, i ran it smoothly for about an hour with no probs.

I had crashes issues with it but I didn't mention them because I run it on an unsupported system. Anyhow in case it is usefull for someone I fixed it by getting rid of one of the 16-bit fonts it extracts to the "Application Data"/Nitrox and Nitrox Solo directories. The small font caused a systematic crash when launching the plugin or the exe. I've deleted it and replaced it by the big one which I copied and renamed and I haven't had a single crash since. 8)
S-N-S
KVRAF

2484 posts since 2 Jan, 2008, from denmark

Postby S-N-S; Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:55 am

i havent tried it out yet,but cant wait till i will have some time to try it
kevosince85
KVRist

107 posts since 26 Sep, 2008

Postby kevosince85; Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:31 am

Just played with this earlier today. Its an amazing synth and looking forward to an update to improve on the minor bugs.
do_androids_dream
KVRAF

2550 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 pm

grymmjack wrote:i think the dev is extremely talented (sonic lion) but i think he's got a very unique ear for certain sounds he likes, it was clear listening to the organs and piano presets, really beautiful sounds imo.

yes, also the vibes preset is one of the best synthesised vibes patches i have heard :)

i found that the multistage envelopes don't sync very well with both reaper and podium. with snap enabled they gradually drift out after a couple of bars. the sequencers sync perfectly well though. gonna carry on playing with this new toy now...

btw - yes, free for me also at time of posting! will donate as soon as i have the funds...
Jbravo
KVRian

1274 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm

external exception error in FLstudio - XPpro AMD XP3200+
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments