Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
highkoo
KVRAF

3736 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 am

a quick search here didnt turn up anything.. maybe it cuz it was warez related?
i regret that i brought it up if i am indeed the first.
i am hesitant to give any kind of link.

in a nutshell-
the dev messaged the admin of a prominent warez source the moment Phaedra was uploaded, and in a personal plea, demanded that it be taken down.
and guess what? it WAS!
but then... some digging turned up the devs account there.. and i believe some actual calls were made to Zero G by some... concerned pirates.
and, the dev returned with more personal pleas.

"debacle"

i dont know waht he was using, but assumably an editor at the very least.
id guess a mess o' synths as well.
as i recall, the bandwidth usage on his account was not.. small.

a lesson in the fine line/gray area that we are in.
ImageImage Image
Reverend Rhythm
KVRAF

3152 posts since 21 Feb, 2003, from Woodstock, GA USA

Postby Reverend Rhythm; Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:51 am

szurcio wrote:There is a reference to Sam Spacey using warez here (somewhere in the middle of the page):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=330
But that isn't evidence. That is one person saying something.
esoundz name: ReverendRhythm
highkoo
KVRAF

3736 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 am

Reverend Rhythm wrote:
szurcio wrote:There is a reference to Sam Spacey using warez here (somewhere in the middle of the page):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=330
But that isn't evidence. That is one person saying something.

indeed.
just wanna say, i am not here to provide evidence, or to accuse.
like i said, if this is 'news', i regret mentioning it.
ImageImage Image
ViktorW
KVRist

414 posts since 15 May, 2006

Postby ViktorW; Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 am

Anyways,
just listened to the audio demos on the Zero-G site again, and it sounds very pleasing indeed!
kgbrolic
KVRist

47 posts since 21 Aug, 2007

Postby kgbrolic; Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 am

szurcio wrote:Where did you find it for $120? It's normally around $180.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/360567-01.htm
Bob Nova
KVRist

339 posts since 21 Feb, 2004

Postby Bob Nova; Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:26 am

Reverend Rhythm wrote:to highkoo:

I googled this and found nothing about it. I would also like some documentation. I do remember Sam Spacey, the developer, being upset about Phaedra being shared on illegal sites, but I could see his point. I don't remember anything more, but I could have missed it.

Most of the threads about it were deleted. Here's one explanation:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216768

IIRC, and this was back in 2008, this discussion started on a Audio Warez forum where Mr.Spacey was an active member, having downloaded over 150 Gigs of warez according to the site's torrent tracker.I went there to look at it myself when the mess spilled over here.

When Mr.Spacey posted a acreenshot of people's IP adresses who he claimed had downloaded the Phaedra torrent and threatened to report them to authorities,some folks pointed out Mr.Spacey's own documented downloading of warez and questioned whether said warez had gone into the making of Phaedra.

Mr.Spacey used duplicate accounts on the warez site to attempt to justify his actions and make pointless threats. I dont recall whether he used dupe accounts here or not.Many members here were quite upset with him, several threads were started,and it didnt end well.

Before the moderators here and the other site shut the various threads down, Mr.Spacey made quite an example of how not to handle a situation like this.The fact anyone even remembers this stuff is testament to that.
Simoon
KVRist

125 posts since 26 Jun, 2007

Postby Simoon; Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 am

I can't see why anyone would want a sample set of analogue synths. Tbh, i'm puzzled as to why people want so many emulations of analogue synths in the first place, how many Arp 2600's or Moog modulars get used to their full extent?

Seems to be a lot of software collectors who get caught up in the advertising hype that surrounds these products.

Still, it makes the wheels of industry turn.
ViktorW
KVRist

414 posts since 15 May, 2006

Postby ViktorW; Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Can't be because of the sound now, can it? Is it really so hard to believe that one could possibly like the sound of analog synth samples?
Nielzie
KVRAF

8824 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Simoon wrote:Seems to be a lot of software collectors who get caught up in the advertising hype that surrounds these products.

Well.. some truth in there.. :roll:

*Nielzie looks at himself* :oops:
None are so hopeless enslaved as KVRians with GAS.
DrGonzo
KVRAF

2011 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from A Swede Living in Budapest

Postby DrGonzo; Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Phaedra is the first Kontakt that get's installed after Kontakt. It's the finest library of analogue synthesizers I've ever heard - and I'm not that of a synthesizer purist. For me it's not that interesting to capture the true spirit of the classic Moog bass or whatever - good sounds are good sounds. And Sam Spacey - regardless if he ever used warez, tries to hunt down warez users or bites the heads off live chickens - is a damn fine programmer of sounds. It's pretty much what I use Kontakt for. Even at 180 you won't be disappointed.

/Carl
Plughugger Sound Design
80s POP for U-HE REPRO
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm
DrGonzo
KVRAF

2011 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from A Swede Living in Budapest

Postby DrGonzo; Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Simoon wrote:I can't see why anyone would want a sample set of analogue synths. Tbh, i'm puzzled as to why people want so many emulations of analogue synths in the first place, how many Arp 2600's or Moog modulars get used to their full extent?

Seems to be a lot of software collectors who get caught up in the advertising hype that surrounds these products.

I'm not sure if you are talking about Phaedra or analogue sample libraries in general. In essence I agree with you - but Phaedra is way different: sample a large number of cool analogue synthesizers very detailed so you don't get all that aliasing and weird keyzone switching - then use this, not to recreate the old boring AnaBass 88 and LuckyLead - but as a ground to program new modern sounds including a bunch of pretty hard sounds for drum and bass.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
80s POP for U-HE REPRO
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm
Reverend Rhythm
KVRAF

3152 posts since 21 Feb, 2003, from Woodstock, GA USA

Postby Reverend Rhythm; Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Since we're back to talking about Phaedra, I agree with DrGonzo assessment. Phaedra is not a VA killer, but it sounds really good. If fact, I'd love to see Phaedra updated to Kontakt 3.5 or 4 with all the newer editing capabilities of Kontakt.
esoundz name: ReverendRhythm
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9587 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:07 pm

In short : Phaedra is the only analog sample collection that I could find inspiring. ( together With Electronic Garden ARP collection by Scot Solida )

As I own several true analog venerable oldies, as well as many VA soft synths, I'm usually highly disapointed by static and lifeless analog sampled collections.

THis is not the case with Phaedra.

Can't say much more :) :shrug:

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
djanthonyw
KVRAF

6867 posts since 20 Jul, 2004

Postby djanthonyw; Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Have you tried Synth Squad? The great thing is that they're actual synths and not samples so you have unlimited flexibility.
You are currently reading my signature.
kgbrolic
KVRist

47 posts since 21 Aug, 2007

Postby kgbrolic; Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm not a real fan of FXpansion's stuff and I'm not much into sound design. I like to create multi's with Kontakt and manipulate the sound a little bit...but aside from that, I'm just a preset whore. I'm leaning towards buying this due to the positive feedback that people are saying about this synth.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments