LittleOne, Little Phatty emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just saw this on the front page:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4303.html

Never heard of "Xhun Audio" before. Anyone know more? Anyone tried the synth and compared it to the "real" one? To be honest I already have more than enough virtual analogs but if it's really, really good I might consider it. It's only €45, but the LP it emulates is of course rather basic...
Last edited by JimmiG on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

I saw it too and couldn't believe that they actually made their GUI with the same cost saving limitations that the greedy Moog company has.

1 knob for either cutoff or resonance, on a software GUI?????

I'm guessing pixel prices went up in the recession too.

For that reason alone I am not going to test it :)
No, that Glitch is meant to be there.....
http://soundcloud.com/punisha
http://www.myspace.com/punishadubs

On the flipside, if you are going to emulate, shouldnt you do so accurately? But yeah, that is too much clicking for my taste...

The intro' price is good. I've downloaded the DEMO. Looking forward to giving it a spin later on. Not too bothered by the lack of buttons, since I love Presets anyway! A tweak here, a tweak there and Bob's yer uncle, Billy's yer Aunt!!! :)

Anyone tried this in Reaper and noticed anything "strange" in the FX browser? :o
VSTi: LittleOne (*cough cough*)

Stupid American Pig wrote:On the flipside, if you are going to emulate, shouldnt you do so accurately? But yeah, that is too much clicking for my taste...
I can understand both views.. On the one hand you want it to look as close to the real thing as possible on-screen, because this will make it feel (and even sound) more authentic.

For example, if you create two identical synths in SynthEdit, and give one a retro-look with fake wood, Minimoog-style knobs etc, and the other with bright colors, fancy LCD's etc., and ask people to compare the sound, many people will "hear" a difference anyway. The wooden one will sound "warm", "analog" etc. while the fancy GUI with bright colors will sound "artificial", "plastic" or perhaps "bright".

On the other hand, physical synths are restricted for practical and cost reasons, while you can have a GUI with 15 bright "LCD's" and it won't cost more than the time it takes to draw them in your graphics editor.

Going to try the demo tonight but that will only tell me whether it sounds good on its own. I would love to hear what people who own or have played a real Moog synth like the LP have to say.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

A simple solution is this: present the emulation with an exact hardware GUI, but add a button which when clicked opens up the GUI to reveal an extended view with knobs per parameter. Everyone will be happy, the masochist who likes to click buttons galore, and the muso who wants to get on with sound design and not be hampered by click-it-titis.

edit-typo
Last edited by himalaya on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

If didn't already have 500 VSTi's that sound pretty much exactly like this 'one' . . . I might have left the DEMO installed for more than 5-Minutes!

Considering how well received the MiniMonsta has been, it's a brave man who offers up a pure emulation of the reduced version of the classic Moog.
Anger is a sublimated desire for control.

Madrayken wrote:Considering how well received the MiniMonsta has been, it's a brave man who offers up a pure emulation of the reduced version of the classic Moog.
I had a little play on my laptop out of curiousity and I think it sounds well, it's an ideal starter synth for someone new and has the same kind of appeal as say Bass Station & V-Station, but it sounds 10 x better than Bass Station, I feel they want too much money for it, I reckon £30 full price as an ideal starter synth, it does sound good IMO!

It is crashing cubase 5 here. Too bad. I was quite interested in this and thought the demo audio tunes sounded quite good. - Scotty

breakmixer wrote:
Madrayken wrote:Considering how well received the MiniMonsta has been, it's a brave man who offers up a pure emulation of the reduced version of the classic Moog.
I had a little play on my laptop out of curiousity and I think it sounds well, it's an ideal starter synth for someone new and has the same kind of appeal as say Bass Station & V-Station, but it sounds 10 x better than Bass Station, I feel they want too much money for it, I reckon £30 full price as an ideal starter synth, it does sound good IMO!

Scotty wrote:It is crashing cubase 5 here. Too bad. I was quite interested in this and thought the demo audio tunes sounded quite good. - Scotty
I'm in Cubase SX3(still!) I'll try the demo on my studio PC and see if it does the same...

breakmixer wrote: it's an ideal starter synth for someone new
When you think about it... a new synth user needs an easy and clear GUI that can produce good results with the minimum of fuss. The need for multiple button clicking in this synth makes it difficult. I mean, to change the ADSR we need to click on four different buttons ! So, I would say that the GUI needs to be improved to make it truly ideal for newcomers.

In a similar fashion, it would be weird for NI if they had emulated the very exact way a real DX7 operates, with one button plus one data slider per parameter and yet they did not (with their FM7).

Currently i am tying the demo of tis nice little synth. The presets are nice and the sound quality is really good. What i really like is the analog style step sequencer. Even the patches where the sequencer is switched off have their own sequence, try it!

The introduction price is 45 euros which is not too much if you think about that it's not (at least it looks like...) a SE or SM plugin.
Anyway I could understand the discussion about the GUI.

BTW the real Little Phatty is now below 1000 euros which makes it possible that i get one sooner or later.

PS: The first time i saw an Little Phatty emulation was a synth created with VAZ Modular 3.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
The introduction price is 45 euros which is not too much if you think about that it's not (at least it looks like...) a SE or SM plugin.
Ingo, it is SE, from the 'credits' page:
Our products make use of 3rd party modules listed below :

Xoxos
www.xoxos.net

Dave Haupt
www.dehaupt.com
Not that I care, as there are some trully excellent SE made synths. However they talk about Physical Modelling, so I wonder how and to what extent that was done in SE. Just out of interest. :)

Return to “Instruments”