Superior Drummer vs Steven Slate Drum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to know the difference between Superior Drummer and Steve Slate Drum. From what I read and what I listen to on their wed sites it seems to me that SSD has richer sounds that could easily be added to the mix. It seems that SD is more flexible and allows access to the raw sounds and process editing.

1)Does both VST come with midi file with loops. Which one has the more and best loops. Can you comment please?

2)How does the sound editing compare from one VST to the other?

3)Which one would me more expandable?

4) Do they both work in 64 bits?

I will be using cubase5 and RMX Omnisphere.

PS This is my first post. :?

Thanks
ThroneRoomEncounters

I have both SD 2.0 with all of the SDX expansions and SSD Platinum.
1)Does both VST come with midi file with loops. Which one has the more and best loops. Can you comment please?
SD2 prob has more. What is "best" is really subjective
2)How does the sound editing compare from one VST to the other?
SD2.0 has a full fledged mixer and pretty detailed mic control and selection. SSD also has a bunch of parameters and editing but needs to rely on the Kontakt mixer which is pretty limited. Of course you can send the outputs to Cubase and do you work there.
3)Which one would me more expandable?
If you get SSD Platinum, that's the whole shebang until Deluxe comes out. SD 2.0 has a bunch of SDX expansion kits plus you can use the EZ Drummer EZX kits.
4) Do they both work in 64 bits?
SD.20 has a 64 bit beta out and I believe Kontakt 4 (which is what SSD works through) is also available in 64 bit.

I'd say what is better depends on what type of music you like and how much of a tweaker you are. I for one really don't like the Kontakt interface at all. To me it is square peg in a round hole. I can see why sound companies like it (they don't to develop there own engine, there is a player version available, etc.) but the work flow in it for me at least is severely lacking.

With all this being said, check out BFD2. That is my favorite. SD 2.0 is right behind. Lots of people here also like Addictive Drums.

If Kontakt doesn't bother you check out SSD (as mentioned), Sonic Reality's Drum Masters 2 (which has much more advanced scripting and has tons of content), Ocean Way Drums, Studiocat's Jet City Drums, AcousticSamples stuff.

The good news is that there are lots of choices!
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

Does SSD have a groove player/integrated browser?

SSD and Superior are both great. Both Superior and SSD have decent mixing functionality and routing etc.. Superior has more tweakability and options such as leakage etc.. and the drums are completely unprocessed. SSD on the otherhand is recorded to analog tape and processed with hardware eqs and compressors in order to be easy to fit in a mix with little processing. Superior comes with 5 really well recorded drumkits and has various expansions that work with it. SSD Platinum has about 40 drumkits and also has some that are soundalikes of famous drumsounds such as a Metallica kit, a Led Zep kit, Nirvana kit, Steely Dan kit, etc.

Just two different concepts in drum instruments. The upcoming Deluxe update will make them more similar.

The Slate drums sound finished while the SSD drums are raw, which to me seems like the most important factor when choosing one over the other.

Uncle E wrote:The Slate drums sound finished while the SSD drums are raw, which to me seems like the most important factor when choosing one over the other.
The superior drums don't sound raw to be. They sound processed when compared to bfd which is completely raw. Allso there arnt 5 kits included in the basic version of superior are there?

I have been using superior since version 1, I love it. I have the NY expansion pack and the old version 1 kits. I hear the metal foundy expansion is very nice. The Steven Slate demos just didn't do it for me, IMO BFD and superior are the best choices for drums.

Two different things. SSD is more of a finished treated sound. Superior Drummer is raw. Superior can go from dry to wet and all the sounds in between so is excellent if you like to create your drum sound. SSD is to be used more or less as is, which is the idea of them. Don't buy either for the loops. The loops are not the main focus of either programme. You can buy 3rd party ones. Superior has plenty of add-ons - the whole toontrack range works in it but it'll cost you. Similarly, SSD is $59 a pop for each expansion.

I'd buy the no-brainer for SSD. Then deal permitting on Toontrack stuff, I'd buy EzDrummer and get the free expansion, then crossgrade to Superior Drummer 2.0 and buy the NY exp pack and then wallow in your own drum smugness.

Exhile wrote:
Uncle E wrote:The Slate drums sound finished while the SSD drums are raw, which to me seems like the most important factor when choosing one over the other.
The superior drums don't sound raw to be. They sound processed when compared to bfd which is completely raw. Allso there arnt 5 kits included in the basic version of superior are there?
Superior 1 and the Metal Foundry SDX are totally RAW. S2's shipping library is processed, but not nearly to the level of Slate products. The other SDX's are very lightly processed, just some very basic stuff that pretty much anyone would be doing anyway.

dodokvr wrote: I'd buy the no-brainer for SSD. Then deal permitting on Toontrack stuff, I'd buy EzDrummer and get the free expansion, then crossgrade to Superior Drummer 2.0 and buy the NY exp pack and then wallow in your own drum smugness.
Good suggestion if you want to taste both!

Some interesting post here.

dodokvr wrote:
Don't buy either for the loops. The loops are not the main focus of either programme. You can buy 3rd party ones.
Any tips for 3rd party loops?

Slate wrote:
Just two different concepts in drum instruments. The upcoming Deluxe update will make them more similar.
I'm planning to start with SSD Platinum wait for Deluxe to come out and expand from there.

I will start with sounds that are inspiring. After I get some experience and I have some music ready for a final mix, I will see at that time what is best.

Thanks for your help :D

ThroneRoomEncounters wrote:
Any tips for 3rd party loops?
This is all you need:

http://www.oddgrooves.com/

http://www.groovemonkee.com/

Thanks!!!

Slate:

I didn't find anything about SSD Deluxe. Do you have a date when it should come out? Do you have details as to how flexible it will be to modify the sounds to our needs. If we can have access to the original sound EQ and modify only delays and reverbs and placement This would be great I think

Thanks

We've just launched an offer for Superior Drummer 2.0 which may sway your decision!

If you buy Superior Drummer 2.0 in March, you can claim a free SDX expansion pack (worth £119) of your choice :hihi:

For full details visit: http://www.timespace.com/news/1509/

Thanks!

Time+Space

Return to “Instruments”