Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jonahs wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
bronswerk wrote:NB: an OSX version of Zyklus Improvisor is possibly in the pipeline.
Yes!
Yes. Yes! YES!

/Joachim
Uhhh, it loads and seems to work relatively fine for me.....
It's easy to use with Numerology. I can just route the MIDI out of stacks into Zyklus and then back into other stacks with synths on them.

By the way, thanks for the program! :)
I don't see a version that will work on OSX yet at the Yahoo group. How did you get that to work?

You can use the collective file (ends in .mxf) from the Windows version, together with the Max Runtime (which you can get from Cycling 74).

What I am working on is building a true standalone though, so no Max dependencies are required.
Dan Nigrin / Defective Records
Fauxmo: a Fizmo editor / Cyclic, M185 & Klee Sequencers / DSX, MC-4 & MC-202 Hack
https://www.defectiverecords.com

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Thanks for the info Dan. I must have figured it out right before your post. Thanks for the late night info though. And keep up the good work! :)

UncleAge wrote:Thanks for the info Dan. I must have figured it out right before your post. Thanks for the late night info though. And keep up the good work! :)
You're saying you are ALREADY using it in OSX using a "workaround"? Why didn't I get that info? :o

bronswerk wrote:
UncleAge wrote:Thanks for the info Dan. I must have figured it out right before your post. Thanks for the late night info though. And keep up the good work! :)
You're saying you are ALREADY using it in OSX using a "workaround"? Why didn't I get that info? :o
I used the mxf file. I already have M4L and the runtime was on my comp. Not sure if it's stable though with Live 8.2 yet. I'll start trying it with Numerology later today.

maki wrote:I am not afraid that Zyklus concept does not have a potential to be a new standard for arranger-keyboards in near future. This is so big thing that it can even reduce the existing piano-roll sequencer market.
not for people that understand how to make a harmonic modulation with their own brains it won't.

but surely I'm not mature enough for this amazing tool. er, crutch.

jancivil wrote:
maki wrote:I am not afraid that Zyklus concept does not have a potential to be a new standard for arranger-keyboards in near future. This is so big thing that it can even reduce the existing piano-roll sequencer market.
not for people that understand how to make a harmonic modulation with their own brains it won't.

It would appear you're not open minded enough either.

In my head I was trying to work out the possibility of doing something like this in a host as a single-track plugin. For instance taking the scripted Jesusonic approach in Reaper or M4L in Live. Sitting the harmonic adjustments to the side for the moment I started to wonder how I could route the midi in Live to mimic this functionality. And I don't think it can be done. So let's say...

Track 1 = midi clip w/midi notes - monitor is set to "auto" (representing an already recorded sequence)
Track 2 = midi clip w/midi notes - monitor is set to "auto" (representing an already recorded sequence)

Now let's say that setup equates to two tracks in ZI with one layer each.

Track 3 = Keyboard input

At this point you could send the output of track 3 to either track 1 or 2. But you can't send it to both. And if track 1 or 2 are changed to monitor the external input then the data in the clip won't be processed.

Now I know in Reaper I can send to multiple tracks from one track pretty easily but I'm not clear on how the external data will be treated by a plugin in the chain while it is processing the incoming data as well.

Don't get me wrong, Zyklus is doing it and I have no issue going along for the ride. But I'm sort of thinking out loud here... Is this type of routing easy to do in any host?

And I guess it could be done with some M4L external that could monitor that midi port directly. But Live wouldn't be able to help in this regard I don't think. Hmmm...

jancivil wrote:

Nothing civil -- or subtle -- about your post... you should rename yourself janhammer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

UncleAge wrote:
bronswerk wrote:
I used the mxf file. I already have M4L and the runtime was on my comp. Not sure if it's stable though with Live 8.2 yet. I'll start trying it with Numerology later today.
Sorry I spaced out on that detail. :oops: :) By the way, I find it works better with the 5 runtime than the 6.

I just messed around with Zyklus combined with Mainstage and my MPC. That was pretty neat.

Of course, a native mac port would be great! I think inter-program MIDI routing is much more enjoyable and hassle free within OS X. It should be interesting combined with M-185 and Klee. :) I need to get around to giving these a proper demo sooner rather than later.
UncleAge wrote:Don't get me wrong, Zyklus is doing it and I have no issue going along for the ride. But I'm sort of thinking out loud here... Is this type of routing easy to do in any host?
Well, as far as routing goes, Live kinda works similarly internally, but I've never made a huge effort to get it working with external MIDI devices because I always run into some issue. Logic has some really cool MIDI routing capabilities, but also does some things quite strangely and working with multiple tracks is difficult. I oughta see how "Auto demix by channel" (which attempts to automagically create tracks based on MIDI channel) work with Logic and Zyklus. I might try to come up with some Logic Environment controls someday to interact with Zyklus, but it's not something I'm burning to do. :lol:

A M4L port would be interesting, but I like to use "spaces" or another monitor for Zyklus. ;)

@jancivil it's more about the live possibilities than "making a song for you". As someone that sometimes composes based on rules and ratios (of course my ears are always the final arbiter) it's only a time saver to have these features in real time.

Which reminds me, I would love to be able to modulate (via MIDI) the tempo controls and arpeggiator rate of each track!

lingyai wrote:
jancivil wrote:

Nothing civil -- or subtle -- about your post... you should rename yourself janhammer
Yaaaawn!:zzz:

Why don't you guys give this beaten-to-death old horse a rest and contribute something constructive if you feel a compulsive urge to post? :wink:

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Is there a direct link anywhere in this thread to the demo?

If not, then...I'm bitching and changing the already apparently bitchy subject, but damn I can't make heads or tails of the Yahoo Group thing.

I just went through about 25 pages trying to find the download link, sign in, create a profile, sign in again to keep trying to create a profile, sign in again after it seemed like I reached a dead end while trying to create a profile, log in to Yahoo using Facebook, then trying to get back to the one post with the demo download link in a long, long, branching list of messages, got stuck, tried to back up, couldn't get unstuck from the dead end that Yahoo presented in front of me, and then gave up.

I'm sure it's an amazing and interesting product, but I don't think I'll be trying it until it gets posted on a dedicated website, or there is a direct link posted here at KVR for the download.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:Is there a direct link anywhere in this thread to the demo?
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/zykl ... r%20505-03./
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/zykl ... mentation/

I dunno, there is a link the left hand side of the yahoo group that says "Files" where you can find it. Not sure what got you stuck.

Return to “Instruments”