One-Synth-Challenge 18 - SoHa Sonata!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sonata

Anybody else having problems with Sonata? Seems pretty unstable and the interface just isn't working properly.

I did the whole CTRL+C on the DLL and then multiple CTRL+V to get around the SynthEdit issue. But yeah, it "only just" behaves on my machine (3GHz XP dual 3Gb RAM).

Haven't had a hang yet but with 7 tracks running, my CPU is warm at over 50% - I'd say it's JUST hanging in there.
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

objectman wrote:I did the whole CTRL+C on the DLL and then multiple CTRL+V to get around the SynthEdit issue. But yeah, it "only just" behaves on my machine (3GHz XP dual 3Gb RAM).
To all seeming , Sonata is not synthedit-made plugin. (it doesn't create *.SEM/*.SEP files)
Last edited by Steplton on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cat has four paws: in, out, ground and power supply )
Listen to my music

ah... well. anyone want a copy of a free synth? i got 14 copies - first in ;)

OSC17 voting thread is up ... :)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46#4169846

Sorry to hear folks are having probs with Sonata... however, I can see it could eat up cpu, but 50% cpu with 7 instances running sounds about average on my humble setup ... it's all about careful arrangement and keeping those damned effects in check :wink:

Sonata is really eating CPU here too, especially w effects on.

Sq8l or whatever it's called wouldn't save presets iirc. We almost used it.

Saves fine here in Reaper, both by song and as preset (Reaper and fxp).

Maybe we'll just have to freeze a track or do a submix with Sonata. I half exect that I'll be doing that as I learn here anyway.

Hi, I'm one of the developers from SoHa Sound Design!

To everyone having trouble with Sonata, I would definitely suggest using the 1.1 alpha over 1.0. Try both versions and see which one works best for you.

Another tip: you can tweak the polyphony up and down. Lower values might help reduce some of the performance problems.

We haven't touched the code in years, so I'm sorry if you are running into issues. It was our labor of love for one summer and since then the two of us have moved on to other things. Hopefully someday we will be able to revisit the code and give it a refresh.

Also, I want to point out that my favorite aspect of Sonata is the "Delay Chambers". You can significantly change the timbre of a sound just by tweaking those sliders. They act as a separate delay line for each note, relative to the period of the waveform. Essentially you can use integer ratios there (like 1/2, 3/5, etc.) to emphasize particular harmonics, or just mess around with them to pull out some strange sounds.

Grant Hutchins
SoHa Sound Design
Grant
SoHa Sound Design http://www.sohasound.com

Grant, thanks for stopping by with the info. It looks like 1.1 it is then...

Judging by what's gone on before in these contests, the participants here should be able to put together a bunch of great pieces using this synth.

Surprisingly i dont have any problems with that synth
(had problems with most of the previous synths before)...
Cubase 5.5 really cured some of the bugs for me!

So here is my submission!

As you may know from my previous entries i am more about atmospheric soundscapes instead of beat driven things. Here is what you get:

Air - MA-Simon (4:24 min.)
http://www.4shared.com/audio/qIcSsALF/A ... SC-18.html

Instances of Sonata used: 14

Effects used:
I used a little bit of reverb on the srings, you probably wont hear...
Sorry about that. I know its not withing the boundaries of the current OSC rules to use reverb. But i just HAD to. Used the free "Atmosphere" with "Wide" setting. Edit: The name of the plugin is "Ambience", sorry spelling error.

Nothing else.

I hope you like it :)
Last edited by MA-Simon on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, another one:

Mutation, by mrblitz000
Hosted in Renoise 2.5
3 instances of Sonata
Track effects: Buzmaxi3 Limiter
Out effects: Classic Mastering Limiter, iiEQ

Cool mrblitz . cheers for the submission :)

Hi Grant, thanks for the synth. :) Sonata 1.1 is quite stable, just uses more juice than many others, but that's with effects on of course. About the delay chambers, I was wondering how those managed to alter the sound so much, that explains it.
MA-Simon wrote:Effects used:
I used a little bit of reverb on the srings, you probably wont hear...
Sorry about that. I know its not withing the boundaries of the current OSC rules to use reverb. But i just HAD to. Used the free "Atmosphere" with "Wide" setting.
He I too was thinking if I should go for a good reverb despite the rules as it sounds so sweet with Sonatas percussive sounds..

Return to “Instruments”