One-Synth-Challenge 18 - SoHa Sonata!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sonata

objectman, piano scales are difficult for me as well.

with the guitar, just learn one scale, and slide the entire 'pattern' up or down the fretboard for the 'key' you want..

on the other hand, with the piano it's like, 'ok these white notes and these black notes for this key, this other combination for that key,' etc.

when using VSTIs, i often just play everything 'Cmaj/a minor' ('all white keys'), then change the tuning of the VSTI within the host. it's kind of like being irving berlin with his self-tuning piano gizmo... well, maybe if irving berlin had been into 'acid rock' or what have you. (lol)

agreed though, that what sounds good to you is what's important. sometimes i've noticed that a lack of theory can lead to a more unbridled creativity. maybe learning and then forgetting theory is a way to go...

i've got some rudimentary classical theory, and every time i have these discussions with a friend who went to 'jazz college,' it seems we can barely even agree on terminology.

Theory is for theorists. I work at uni (teach web design & screenwriting) and it's pretty clear that the theorists have very little actual skill or unique creativity. They're experts when it comes to "formula" and what's gone before.

It's great to "talk" music, but as Rusty James says in the beginning of Rumblefish (one of my fave films) - "Sayin' ain't doin'."

Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

Yeah V'ger, I'm getting really tough with the Fx rools nowadays .... not because I'm an evil b*st**d, but because the standard of submissions has improved immensely over the past few comps .... so I think, as well as maintaining a low entry level for newbies, it is important that the comp continues to be a challenge for the more accomplished participants. It also preserves the sound of the synth, and encourages more of its features to be used fully. :)

I still dont quite understand this synth to be honest, but it sounds great! ... cant wait to hear some tracks!! :)

Re. Music theory .... totally agree! too much theory is like tying your shoe laces together for fear of losing a shoe, and thinking it'll make you a better dancer! :hihi:

Hello all! Tattiemannie suggested I ask in this thread, seeing as how I'm tasked with coming up with a synth for OSC 19, I've got 2 in mind, and was hoping for some feedback: Orca or Arppe2600va? If not, what's everyone hungry to work with? I want this upcoming comp to be fun so everyone'll get involved, so I'm open to suggestions... and be glad I didn't choose that Japanese air conditioner simulator (great for drones, though!) :D
I am the musical equivalent of a brick...

Arppe2600va!!!

orca requires registration, doesn't it?
..what goes around comes around..

Arppe2600va!!!

yeah

Dont remember any obstacle to using Orca for free ... or registration for that matter .... but anyway, both fine choices ... I'm gonna stick my shout in for Orca though ... cheers to hivefleetmegalon for encouraging me to open that little beauty up and checking it out properly :)

Arpp is very crashy and unstable in Reaper, maybe one of the worst vsti's yet here. Anyone else with this?

Tried running it in 'buggy mode' as Reaper calls it, but the trouble seems to be spikes that just overload the system and causes hangs or CTD..

So my vote to Orca unless the other Voltkitchen synth and imo top 5 free synth will be considered: MinimogueVA. (SE fixed, regularly updated so very stable + economical)

Orca's a bit average don't you think? I dunno, maybe I'm not stretching the flaps enough. Nice graphic, but I can only imagine trance / dance / rave coming out of this. Maybe I need to get beyond my preset fixation - which'd be a good thing. Minimogue sounds more fun (to this newbie). It even has preset drums.

But I'm not choosing. So I'll take back my 2c, thanks. :|

V'ger, you raise some good points. And I did just watch the Bob Moog documentary again... okay, so if there are no objections (that, and I'm terrible at making decisions-- spent all night looking for inexpensive yet nicely padded guitar cases-- for a guitar I've yet to own! And no, still not decided), then I say we go with your recommendation-- MinimogueVA for OSC19. I'm surprised no one's called it yet, so sounds good to me! We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... yeah, I've got to go look at cases some more. :wink:

You might wanna wait until you have a guitar, surely. It mightn't fit!

Another unsolicted 2c comment hits the dirt! :D

objectman, you too have good points... I'm still here (switching between tabs). I think you were right, by the way, about the graphics pulling me in. Don't get me wrong-- I think Orca's fun in an abstract way, and I love the GUI, but I'd forgotten that when I started with virtual synths, the first thing I did was hunt for a free Moog simulation, and there it was, good ol' MinimogueVA. When I heard it, I couldn't stop giggling at how good it sounded. Haven't used it in awhile, so I thank you and everyone for the feedback and chance to really have some fun with a great synth I've neglected for too long.

p.s.-- I'm getting it in a few days. When I do, I'll post pics in the "next guitar" thread around here.

I cannot get this synth to work properly. Yes it makes sound, but I cannot change any parametres, except those of the filter. ( Exception: if I use it through midi parametres ).

It also feels very unstable and power hungry vsti.

I used it in FL9.

I'd vote for Orca, but it is a monosynth, so many of us won't be happy to use many instances of this thing for chords (remember Rogue OSC?).
So if I'm ever to enter the OSC again I'd go for something polyphonic at least.
My 2 copecks.

Return to “Instruments”