what is the best guitar vst instrument for metal sound ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Progtronic did you get heavier7 strings. It sounds awesome!

bill45 wrote:Progtronic did you get heavier7 strings. It sounds awesome!
Nope.. too expensive. :(

Orange tree got a sale goin on. Dracus gets alotta love for that metal sound so maybe check it out?

Armagibbon wrote:Orange tree got a sale goin on. Dracus gets alotta love for that metal sound so maybe check it out?
Looks & sounds awesome.. will check back in a few more days to see what the group buy level is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3aaBUkKpM

ok, just picked up Evolution Dracus from the Orange Tree Samples group buy for $71.60 (60% off).

And.. not really impressed, so far.

There's a learning curve, but not too bad.

The built-in fx are terrible for Extreme Metal. Most generally are though, for this kind of library.. so no surprise there. You'll definitely wanna use your fav amp/cab sim plug-ins instead. The built in ones might be good for a subtle pre-amp effect though.

The biggest issue for me, is the "Pick Noise Amount" setting (under the setup tab). This is supposed to determine your pre-pick delay amount.. and should add a significant delay from the actual pick noise vs. the eventual sustain tone. It's generally, really important for realism. Usually involves having to set your whole track ahead a few milliseconds in order to line up the eventual tone, with the beat.

No matter how high, or low I set it (0-100%).. and tweak everything around it (pick style, pick modeling, whatever...), there seems to be absolutely no change. Like, it's literally changing nothing. Very frustrating. Just seems to have a stock pre-pick amount (not a very big one), with no indication of how many milliseconds it might be delaying (aside from the 0-100% slider, which does nothing).

I'll probably start a thread over on their forums to see if maybe I'm just doing it all wrong.. very possible.. it's all new to me.

Other issue.. total ram hog. Full instrument load is 2.63gb. I usually use four instances of electric guitars for the Metal stuff I do (two leads, two rhythm).. and that would literally take up almost all the available ram I have (16gb, -4gb for OS, so about 12gb). There's a "Dynamic Memory" (on/off) setting.. but as soon as you add just a few things (sustain, mute, whatever..), it nearly maxes out anyways. So, you'd have to use Kontakts built-in memory manager to purge stuff.. which generally works really terribly on huge sample pools like this.

In comparison.. Electri6itys guitars fully load, with all articulations.. into about 600-700mb of ram a piece. I know Dracus has two more strings (8 vs 6) fully sampled.. but there's no way it should be adding THAT much more of a ram hit.

So, I dunno.. I won't get much use out of Dracus until I can upgrade to a new computer with a lot of ram (at least 32gb). Sorta bummed out.. :?

This is the most attractive feature set I've seen, without a doubt.

I'm not a metal person really, extreme metal, not worried. The FX seem somewhat useful in the demo, I like the chorus-y sound demonstrated particularly. the strum engine, don't think anyone is going to beat that. I'm broke, no sale price for me though.

progtronic wrote:So, I dunno.. I won't get much use out of Dracus until I can upgrade to a new computer with a lot of ram (at least 32gb). Sorta bummed out.. :?
Aw damn sorry to lead you astray man only went on what I heard. Picked up their whole kit so far and f*ckin love stratosphere and strawberry but haven't done a run through with dracus yet. Don't do metal yet so can't say what's good.

Now man... your review is damn good I gotta say. Link that shit to the orange tree cats I bet they'll take a look at it. They do updates all the time. Yea and def hit up their forum. Real good for helpful feedback over there, props and crits alike.

Armagibbon wrote:
progtronic wrote:So, I dunno.. I won't get much use out of Dracus until I can upgrade to a new computer with a lot of ram (at least 32gb). Sorta bummed out.. :?
Aw damn sorry to lead you astray man only went on what I heard. Picked up their whole kit so far and f*ckin love stratosphere and strawberry but haven't done a run through with dracus yet. Don't do metal yet so can't say what's good.

Now man... your review is damn good I gotta say. Link that shit to the orange tree cats I bet they'll take a look at it. They do updates all the time. Yea and def hit up their forum. Real good for helpful feedback over there, props and crits alike.
No worries. I started a thread over there, regarding the "Pick Noise Amount" setting. Apparently it's working as intended. The resulting effect is supposed to be "subtle". So it may not even need any adjusting, track/timing wise.

I'll experiment with that, and also with reducing the ram footprint with Kontakts ram/memory manager. It's ugly, but I might be able to get it to work.

If I can load up four instances, and not have my computer explode.. I'll be good to go. 8)

I think Drakus is a bit thin for heavy sounds,even with amp sims.
I've used it for clean actually.

Heheh..metel!

I thought I would add my 2p as a geetarist.

I recently won Shreddage 2 (Directwave, both guitar and bass) as part of an FL Studio contest and hadn't done anything with it until there was another contest featuring backwards stuff, so I thought, 'hmm why not some metel'. I'm quite experienced in programming guitars but heavier stuff is something I've always liked to play, as you can't really get the realism with samples (or I couldn't...). Really impressed with Shreddage for this type of detuned sludge/thrash heaviness though. I think it would probably be shite for anything else - you wouldn't use it for indie or anything given the lack of velocity scaling. I probably wouldn't have used these amp/distortion settings usually either to be honest (contest limitations), but you get the idea of what it can do, and it does this one thing really well! Oh, and the solo is me playing (badly) reversed...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... orange.mp3

(it may contain just a leeeeetle, ok loads, of swearing...)

As far as ampsims,I am testing and liking the Kuassa stuff.Their FX pedals are great too.
Great prices.

bill45 wrote:I think Drakus is a bit thin for heavy sounds,even with amp sims.
I've used it for clean actually.
Agreed, thin.. which has it's place for certain Metal styles, but I like something more well-rounded.

Also, not enough palm mute variations. It goes from a really tight palm mute, to an almost open (plain picked sounding) palm mute.. with nothing much more in between.

Not really sampled with Metal in mind, IMO. So, I'm still struggling with it.

Shreddage has been mentioned. I didn't have much luck with the original Shreddage/X, so I didn't give Shreddage 2 much of a chance when it was released.. and didn't buy into it.

Having a second look though, thanks to the current AudioPlugin deal (Shreddage 2 + IBZ, SRP, Classic & and a couple other libraries thrown in).

The newer S2 Kontakt tweaks and more extensive sampling in general.. seem to address the issues I was having with the first release. IBZ & SRP will cover a lot of ground (Metal-wise), so I'll pick this deal up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVesnELakFQ

The shreddage stuff is way better now.The latest,SRP,Has 11 palm mute variations.
Shreddage is good with palm mutes and RR's.The Shreddage classic is a reworked version of the original Shreddage.

progtronic wrote:I'll experiment with that, and also with reducing the ram footprint with Kontakts ram/memory manager. It's ugly, but I might be able to get it to work.

If I can load up four instances, and not have my computer explode.. I'll be good to go. 8)
Kontakt will share memory across instrument instances. Loading Dracus here bring Kontakt 64-bit up to 3.5GB resident memory, though Kontakt itself reports 2.63GB, which is not the whole story... Kontakt starts out at 150MB... every new Dracus increases the footprint by only 150MB... so 4 instrument instances in the same Kontakt instance should clock in at around 4GB total. You can mess around with preload buffer size, but I'd say leave it at 60KB if you have 16GB to play with.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:
progtronic wrote:I'll experiment with that, and also with reducing the ram footprint with Kontakts ram/memory manager. It's ugly, but I might be able to get it to work.

Kontakt will share memory across instrument instances. Loading Dracus here bring Kontakt 64-bit up to 3.5GB resident memory, though Kontakt itself reports 2.63GB, which is not the whole story... Kontakt starts out at 150MB... every new Dracus increases the footprint by only 150MB... so 4 instrument instances in the same Kontakt instance should clock in at around 4GB total. You can mess around with preload buffer size, but I'd say leave it at 60KB if you have 16GB to play with.
ahh nice.. had no idea. I rarely load up more than one instance of the same Kontakt instrument, so I never really noticed.

Thanks for that info. :)

Return to “Instruments”