One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote:...A KVR member listens to all the tracks that he wants during the month. And he adds 1 point to all the tunes that he likes....
Notwithstanding the issue of actually getting external people to vote, again, it could easily become a popularity contest, which is what you seem to think it is today. Getting votes by anyone, especially if the particpants are excluded ends up best described as: "how many people can you get to vote for you?".

And, I definitely think the value of the contest doesn't come from the results or prizes, but from the feedback and discussion - it's a medium to improve your own tracks. Again, I personally welcome anyone who wants me to provide constructive criticism. Any time, just send me a PM! Be warned I will always be candid, as I'd rather people are with me. :)

But you get out what you put in. If you don't put forth effort to get constructive feedback, but rather complain about not winning and dissect just "what's wrong" with the voting system, you won't have valuable information to improve your techniques. And, similar to what idfpower mentioned, even if you have 100 people telling you how great your track is just to schmooze you and just 1 telling you how to improve, is that not still valuable? And with what alternative?

I'm happy with the way things are now.
Voting, voters, dq, all good.
Let's concentrate on the music, feedback and synth-fun? :wink:

ThePresent wrote:I'm happy with the way things are now.
+100
I was about to write a long post but that changed as soon as I saw this post by "ThePresent". I agree 100%. We are in a very good shape now as far as voting and other rules are concerned. At times it feels like we are a bunch of political parties lobbying for this and that :lol: Lets make some music people..
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:
ThePresent wrote:I'm happy with the way things are now.
+100
I was about to write a long post but that changed as soon as I saw this post by "ThePresent". I agree 100%. We are in a very good shape now as far as voting and other rules are concerned. At times it feels like we are a bunch of political parties lobbying for this and that :lol: Lets make some music people..
Yes, +1000
Lets make some music people !!!

The OSC is becoming more and more a competition how to run a competition.
I also agree to all the statements from idfpower. Look in the past and see how successful the OSC was. So the rules we had could not be so wrong!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Cool guys.

I'll start this out

1) Need to share my unfinished OSC61 Obxd project*** - hopefully helps some peeps:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... eat%29.cpr

2) On another note,
**correction** William from Wusik was very kind and we can have a bundle of Wusik 7, Wusik 4000, and Wusik EVE :) Thank you William. :phones: :phones: :tu: :clap:

***What it sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/bjporte ... ng/s-SvIwh
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjporter wrote:William from Wusik was very kind and we can now choose from either Wusik 7, Wusik 4000, or Wusik EVE :) Thank you William. :phones: :phones: :tu: :clap:
:hug:

Here's a thought. How about BJ and V'ger (or who ever is the management in the future) organize, run, and set the rules as they think best, taking suggestions as they see fit. We participate and comply with the rules or don't. I didn't find anything wrong with the way it worked when I first started participating years ago. I appreciate the efforts to improve the process and will learn to work with what ever system is in place. Sometimes just leaving things be is good. Let everyone get adjusted to what is expected.

Design by committee rarely works.

jasinski wrote:Here's a thought. How about BJ and V'ger (or who ever is the management in the future) organize, run, and set the rules as they think best, taking suggestions as they see fit. We participate and comply with the rules or don't. I didn't find anything wrong with the way it worked when I first started participating years ago. I appreciate the efforts to improve the process and will learn to work with what ever system is in place. Sometimes just leaving things be is good. Let everyone get adjusted to what is expected.

Design by committee rarely works.
That's almost exactly how it works now, but the rules we really like are voted on for everyone to decide. Don't worry, things are fine. Just a few tweaking needed I think.

idfpower wrote: .....
A lot of them do vote because they want to qualify for prizes or since the latest changes because they dont want to risk getting DQ-ed. Otherwise they wouldn't do it - pass a certain point it's tedious for everyone, you know.
I would say it's the former not the later, what I would say that the last OSC (obxd) which had the new rule didn't encourage everyone to vote, so not had the desired effect, but there have been more abstains from the vote than any OSC I have seen, granted I've only been in 5 before obxd.

Hum... BJ... I've just noticed something weird (which has nothing to do with the problems of the rules).

It is this:

Is there a historical reason for the text of this particular url ?
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-46-ppg-wave-2-v

"PPG Wave 2" in the URL which is used... for the Triple Cheese synth.

At this time, I wasn't yet KVR member.

Yesterday I wanted to drive friends to these superb demos of Triple Cheese, being myself a lover of this synth. They answered me "Prove us that it is really Triple Cheese! As long as the URL says PPG Wave, we'll have a doubt!"

So... is there a historical reason (a change of synth of last minute, for example) or is it an error ?

Just for information...

Thanks!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:So... is there a historical reason (a change of synth of last minute, for example) or is it an error ?
Yes, you hit it on the nose. Originally, that month was the PPG wave 2.v. It was free from Beat mag or somehwere similar - the whole Waldorf bundle was! But, then just before the contest, it was taken down, so the synth was changed after originally being announced as PPG wave to triple cheese since only some people had already got the free bundle.

chilledpanda wrote: I would say it's the former not the later, what I would say that the last OSC (obxd) which had the new rule didn't encourage everyone to vote, so not had the desired effect, but there have been more abstains from the vote than any OSC I have seen, granted I've only been in 5 before obxd.
So they are forced to vote, but they don't. However they'd surely vote if not being forced to... ppl submittig tracks for OSC don't vote (or worse: don't even want to), yet outsiders are expected to do so. Yeah...that makes sense :dog:

IMO it's common sense and in the end a matter of respect: listen, comment and vote for the submitted tracks. Nobody's forcing you to participate, but if you do, you follow the rules. I don't see why some feel the need to "rebel" & "protest" and blow things out of proportions... I've been out of OSC for the past 2 months precisely because of all the negative vibe going on (and might continue to stay out until some folks come to their senses and stop arguing about everything).
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:... and might continue to stay out until some folks come to their senses and stop arguing about everything
Can I argue about you staying out of OSC? :cry:

z.prime wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:So... is there a historical reason (a change of synth of last minute, for example) or is it an error ?
Yes, you hit it on the nose. Originally, that month was the PPG wave 2.v. It was free from Beat mag or somehwere similar - the whole Waldorf bundle was! But, then just before the contest, it was taken down, so the synth was changed after originally being announced as PPG wave to triple cheese since only some people had already got the free bundle.
Ah Ok. Thanks! I'll route them your answer, to shut them up.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

z.prime wrote:Can I argue about you staying out of OSC? :cry:
LOL :lol: Thanks :love:
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Return to “Instruments”