One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mac folks ... and Linux folks for that matter
It's my understanding that there's perfectly good ways to run Win-only VSTs under Mac (or Linux)
Granted, i've not tried it myself .. being a Windows and Linux guy here.

The fact is, there's simply more VSTs available for Windows only, for some reason.

We could pretty much pick anything that hasn't been used in a previous OSC from this page.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/01 ... u-plugins/

I think they are all Windows only though.

artao wrote:Mac folks ... and Linux folks for that matter
It's my understanding that there's perfectly good ways to run Win-only VSTs under Mac (or Linux)
Granted, i've not tried it myself .. being a Windows and Linux guy here.

The fact is, there's simply more VSTs available for Windows only, for some reason.
Unfortunately, there aren't really "perfectly good ways". I used Windows and Linux primarily until recently... I actually composed a number of my tracks in Elementary OS (an Ubuntu-based distribution) running Reaper on Wine. This works pretty well because you basically are running all Windows apps. The thing is, for the Mac, you don't really want to run Windows apps for this (and Wine doesn't work as well as it does on Linux), when there are perfectly good Mac apps to be had. That leaves possibly using a VST wrapper plugin, but then even if you can run a VST in a wrapper, integration with the host is disconnected, so it becomes a big pain in the butt to do (unless the wrapper itself was really good, maybe).

The reason there are more Windows VSTs is simple: there are more Windows users. This means there are also more Windows developers (and, to be honest, development on the Mac is sorta crappy - this was the main reason I got one). The expense of the hardware and lack of good cross-platform development tools means that more plugins are developed for Windows.

Couple that with SynthEdit being Windows only, and the plethora of SynthEdit plugins are also stuck 32-bit, Windows only...

I think Mac people have just resigned themselves to the fact that they can't participate in many of the OSCs :)

But, that's somewhat of a liberating feeling... to work on different projects. With all your fancy plugins!! Woohoo!!!!! :)

z.prime wrote:
Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Hey, anyone know if there's a way to route the Soundcloud audio player into an EQ?
A lot of computers have EQ built in to the audio driver software, maybe your drivers will let you enable it in control panel somewhere or other software?
I'll check around again. It actually has room correction software, but no simple EQ. There is an EQ attached to things like Windows Media Player, but Soundcloud player seems to be its own world, not tied to Things like Windows Media Player or QuickTime.

i'm a total OSC newb, so i'm wondering if the following line of the rules
DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available.
is deliberately excluding so called "donationware" or if it's regarded as the same thing!? :shrug:

would be nice if somebody could clarify this, because i just noticed a few plugins that i'm using for my entry are actually referred to as donationware by the autor... :help:

keith303 wrote:i'm a total OSC newb, so i'm wondering if the following line of the rules
DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available.
is deliberately excluding so called "donationware" or if it's regarded as the same thing!? :shrug:

would be nice if somebody could clarify this, because i just noticed a few plugins that i'm using for my entry are actually referred to as donationware by the author... :help:
Yes, effects should be freeware rather than donationware. Donationware is essentially like getting a demo of a payware plugin, which currently is disallowed.

aww.. too bad.. looks like i have to rethink the content of my "../vstplugins/free" folder then.
thanks for the info.

keith303 wrote:aww.. too bad.. looks like i have to rethink the content of my "../vstplugins/free" folder then.
thanks for the info.
Now you have me wondering which plugins I might be using that fall into that category! :eek:

Side note: I'm a huge K303 fanboi; can't wait to hear an OSC entry from you! :)

Glad to hear so and congratulations on winning yet another round sir z. prime! :)
You're releasing really interesting stuff throughout these rounds, been following you and OSC for quite a while now as well.
I had some stuff going for previous OSC rounds, but have never been able to finish something, since writing a tune with just a single VSTi is quite challenging if you're spoiled from the coexistance of samples and synthesis. :wink:

keith303 wrote:Glad to hear so and congratulations on winning yet another round sir z. prime! :)
You're releasing really interesting stuff throughout these rounds, been following you and OSC for quite a while now as well.
I had some stuff going for previous OSC rounds, but have never been able to finish something, since writing a tune with just a single VSTi is quite challenging if you're spoiled from the coexistance of samples and synthesis. :wink:
Wow this is really cool. Welcome to the OSC Keith! :)

I myself might become a bit of a fanboi :hyper: after hearing your 1998 tune (Sorry, gotta post this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRAZmPdtYY

The bassline at 2:30.... wow

Party on everyone! :party: :party: :party:

Concerning effects, it's stated that:
Effects (external plugins):
- Any type of modulation effect like chorus, phaser, flanger etc is not allowed.
However, if another type of effect (like delay or reverb for example) has modulation as a secondary effect,
it can be used, but the modulation usage must be minimal.
- Effects that pitch the sound are not allowed.
- Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
- DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available.
- Any kind of effect already IN the synth can of course be used freely.
Can I use saturation or distortion effects, eg guitar amp emulation, if it's still recognizable as the sound of the synth (just like a amped guitar still sounds like a guitar)?

Can I use a freely available Convolution Reverb with unusual Impulse Responses, if the sound of the synth remains recognizable?

Let's discuss :hyper:

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Concerning effects, it's stated that:
Can I use saturation or distortion effects, eg guitar amp emulation, if it's still recognizable as the sound of the synth (just like a amped guitar still sounds like a guitar)?
Yes, but in small amounts preferably - so it doesn't ruin the sound too much or alter it totally beyond the source.
Use your best judgement.
Izak Synthiemental wrote:Concerning effects, it's stated that:
Can I use a freely available Convolution Reverb with unusual Impulse Responses, if the sound of the synth remains recognizable?
Yes absolutely.

I don't know if this has been posted already, but... :?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/08/s ... will-work/

Have a nice day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:I don't know if this has been posted already, but... :?

What's your take on this Irion?

bjporter wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:I don't know if this has been posted already, but... :?

What's your take on this Irion?
Well, i read the complete article later that i posted this (Typical from me, lol).
It's only for USA Soundclouders. So it doesn't affect me directly.
There will be ads, like in youtube, but they will "reward" no Pro accounts with more time for uploading audio. From 2 hours to 3. And Pro accounts from 4 to 6.

I don't know what to think about this, if it is a bad movement or a "good" one.
To be honest, i don't like ads. I have my ads for Youtube channel turned off.
But also, they say that more part of the money will go to USA SC users...

All depends on how USA SC users see this. Just came to warn you all. :)
What do you think about this?

Have a nice day, bro :)

Return to “Instruments”