One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings ladies and gents. I've been checking this contest for a while. Was going to enter the "any synth" contest a while back but Zebra2 seems to spoil the fun. I could cut an album with that thing. Too easy.

Excited to be working on the TAL-Bassline-101. I really like the sound of this one and use it often.

A couple of questions. Appreciate any guidance here. I'm pretty comfortable with Logic's stock plugins for most things. I dpn't really use them much, but they are fine. I do use the Logic Compressor quite a bit for sound design things a lot. Not exactly for buss duties, but I'll manage.

I was wondering if the new Eventide Ultra Channel Strip was allowed? It was free, just requiring an iLok account.

Also, I see that you can't make a kick, and bounce to audio so you have a steady kick. That's fine, but I'm wondering about sidechaining. You can't trigger most compressors with anything but audio. I have some "ducking" tools but of course those are not allowed. The TAL Filter has a volume function but TBH, I don't like it at all.

Can I use a sample, muted, to trigger a sidechain? I usually choose a very short and clean 808 sample. If not allowed, then how do you guys do it? Of course I can automate volume, but TBH, I prefer the sound a sidechain compressor makes.

Thank for any advice. Good luck guys.........you're gonna need it! :hihi:
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EDGEK8D wrote:Greetings ladies and gents. I've been checking this contest for a while. Was going to enter the "any synth" contest a while back but Zebra2 seems to spoil the fun. I could cut an album with that thing. Too easy.
Howdy and welcome to OSC. :) Yep, Zebra is pretty awesome. It almost felt like cheating using it. But instead it was just fun :)
EDGEK8D wrote:I was wondering if the new Eventide Ultra Channel Strip was allowed? It was free, just requiring an iLok account.
iLok requires hardware and costs $, right? That would disqualify it. Also, "was free" is different than "is free". Non-DAW plugins that aren't freely available currently are not allowed.
EDGEK8D wrote:You can't trigger most compressors with anything but audio. I have some "ducking" tools but of course those are not allowed.... Can I use a sample, muted, to trigger a sidechain? I usually choose a very short and clean 808 sample. If not allowed, then how do you guys do it? Of course I can automate volume...
Just make a kick-ish sound with the synth and route the output to a sidechain input somewhere. I assume you can do that with Logic.
EDGEK8D wrote:Thank for any advice. Good luck guys.........you're gonna need it! :hihi:
Bring it!! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with! :hyper:

yeah so side chaining is allowed right?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:yeah so side chaining is allowed right?
Sure. Volume automation is allowed. Sidechain compression is just a fancy form of volume automation.

z.prime wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote:Greetings ladies and gents. I've been checking this contest for a while. Was going to enter the "any synth" contest a while back but Zebra2 seems to spoil the fun. I could cut an album with that thing. Too easy.
Howdy and welcome to OSC. :) Yep, Zebra is pretty awesome. It almost felt like cheating using it. But instead it was just fun :)
EDGEK8D wrote:I was wondering if the new Eventide Ultra Channel Strip was allowed? It was free, just requiring an iLok account.
iLok requires hardware and costs $, right? That would disqualify it. Also, "was free" is different than "is free". Non-DAW plugins that aren't freely available currently are not allowed.
EDGEK8D wrote:You can't trigger most compressors with anything but audio. I have some "ducking" tools but of course those are not allowed.... Can I use a sample, muted, to trigger a sidechain? I usually choose a very short and clean 808 sample. If not allowed, then how do you guys do it? Of course I can automate volume...
Just make a kick-ish sound with the synth and route the output to a sidechain input somewhere. I assume you can do that with Logic.
EDGEK8D wrote:Thank for any advice. Good luck guys.........you're gonna need it! :hihi:
Bring it!! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with! :hyper:
Haha! Thanks, that makes sense. Yes you can route audio or a buss to a sidechain input in Logic. So I'll just have to send my instrument channel to a buss <sigh.....oh how will I ever?> and then choose the buss as the input......<in case anyone was wondering>.

BTW, The Eventide Ultra Channel did not require iLok, just an account, not the actual hardware dongle. But, yes, it WAS free, but I don't think any longer.

I like how you say, "kick-ish" sound. Thanks again.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

I've got two things to ask this time.

a) Saltine's ADHDidi .. it's still freely available, but not for long. It's a fun and capable synth. It would make for a good OSC I think.

b) Could we perhaps consider a length limit on OSC tracks? Something like 5 minutes or so? The June OSC, with it's 29 entries, came out to over 2.5 hrs of music IIRC. I like to listen to everything AT LEAST twice before voting, and haven't found the time to do that yet (which is why I haven't yet voted this month) ... most tracks seem to fall within 5 minutes anyhow ... just a thought

:D

hoping to finish up the listening so I can vote in the Swierk contest. And working on my entry for TAL Bassline. I'd like to use Bassline 101, but since I only have the demo version, actually using it in a track is a serious PITA. I might use 1 or 2 tho for specific reasons. Maybe.

artao wrote: b) Could we perhaps consider a length limit on OSC tracks? Something like 5 minutes or so? The June OSC, with it's 29 entries, came out to over 2.5 hrs of music IIRC. I like to listen to everything AT LEAST twice before voting, and haven't found the time to do that yet (which is why I haven't yet voted this month) ... most tracks seem to fall within 5 minutes anyhow ... just a thought
This is pretty average in number of tracks, nothing compared to OSC Any synth (68 tracks one track was +10 mins) and OSC Special cm (75 tracks) lol
artao wrote:hoping to finish up the listening so I can vote in the Swierk contest. And working on my entry for TAL Bassline. I'd like to use Bassline 101, but since I only have the demo version, actually using it in a track is a serious PITA. I might use 1 or 2 tho for specific reasons. Maybe.
Yes, as it doesn't store presets. You can set all the parameters to automate, in that way it will preserve the parameters on save/loading of you daws project file.
I opted for the older, I have enough paid for synths that I am not utilizing :dog: without adding another. Also makes it more of a challenge!

chilledpanda wrote:I opted for the older, I have enough paid for synths that I am not utilizing :dog: without adding another. Also makes it more of a challenge!
Yep, same here. I will probably buy 101 to support the developer, though; TAL has given lots of quality free stuff over the years.

SHEEESH!!
This time I had to dig all the way back to pg 4 to find this thread. :o
Could we please sticky this?

Anyhow, this time I'm posting to nominate any of the KX77FREE synths. They're pretty awesome, and largely modular. Rather complex too. Any of these would generate some awesome and varied entries I think. 8)

What about Lokomotiv as the next synth? It's been a while since we had a synth that also runs in 64-bit Mac.. (And I don't bother with 32-bit bridges etc..)

I heard it's a killer on the CPU as well, which will bring some new challenges to the table. :)

/Peter
Changing handle to Subject36..

artao wrote:I'm posting to nominate any of the KX77FREE synths. They're pretty awesome
Seconded!
(I know, I'm not second - or even third, fourth, fifth .... but you know what I mean.)

I think the xils OSC was a real missed opportunity - the Kx-Synth-X16 was much the better instrument even then, and since M. Kalensky added the authentic Trapezoid envelopes and the new filters (oh!, those filters!) in version 5.0, it blows all the other VCS3-a-likes out of the water (and most of the water with them).
It's been my weapon of choice since its first, mono incarnation back in 2008.

But if not the X16 - the Kx-PolyM-CSE is a veritable Swiss army knife of unmistakably vintage goodness.
Don't let its unassuming, intuitive interface lull you into confusing 'simple' with 'basic' - this is as deep and complex as you want it to be! You'll be grabbing a controller and building your own patches straight out of the box - but you'll also spend a lifetime exploring its depths.
The routing is flexible the way only a modular can be - and that matrix gives you total per-voice control over just about every parameter you might want to modulate.
And I haven't even mentioned the sound yet - but words could never do it justice: you really need to hear it! (It even has the new VCS3/Synthi filters - along with the CS ones, and just about every other type you could wish for.)

Also, let's not forget, M. Kalensky has been giving away the fruits of his extraordinary talent and effort - completely free - for more than a decade.
Isn't it about time he was given due recognition?

Syntilla wrote:
artao wrote:I'm posting to nominate any of the KX77FREE synths. They're pretty awesome
Seconded!
(I know, I'm not second - or even third, fourth, fifth .... but you know what I mean.)

I think the xils OSC was a real missed opportunity - the Kx-Synth-X16 was much the better ...?
But Windows only... :(

z.prime wrote:But Windows only... :(
Agree.. .I would love to write another tune for OSC, but I run on Logic and don't want to fiddle with Windows..
Changing handle to Subject36..

Hey, anyone know if there's a way to route the Soundcloud audio player into an EQ?

Pulse Width Modulation wrote:Hey, anyone know if there's a way to route the Soundcloud audio player into an EQ?
A lot of computers have EQ built in to the audio driver software, maybe your drivers will let you enable it in control panel somewhere or other software?

Return to “Instruments”