One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes that might be a workable idea.

Any others?

To make the challange a bit more difficult: compile a big list of free synths and random choose the order of the synths. This way people have to use the next synth in the list (no way to choose) and that's all.

...the only risk is that if no one like the synth there will be no partecipants :hihi:

I posted an idea for a special OSC in the other thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=#4365324
dwsel wrote:'One SAMPLE Challenge' :hihi: - to create from a single sample whole song by using heavy processing (like in Troels Folmann's from Tonehammer experiments http://www.troelsfolmann.com/blog/?p=160 and http://www.troelsfolmann.com/blog/?p=112)

OK, maybe wrong place, but the free synth thing reminds me ..... Cryologic is now free!
So, a) it needs to be taken out of the prize pool, and b) it now looks like a good candidate for an OSC featured synth :)

I previously created a list of free synths from suggestions on various OSC threads.

I have previously posted the list, but obviously now it would be a hassle to find it. ... so here it is again.

Intro ... http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1892.html
Gtg synths ... http://www.gtgsynths.com/plugins.htm
Dreamstation dxi
Polish synths
Twin2 ... ( eval )
Automat
Automap
Oddy http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2yqu2nknm3x
TAL uno 62
TAL bassline
free alpha (linplug)
da hornet (dash signature)
triple cheese (u-he)
Evol
JG-3
Atlantis
Robot juice
Galileo
Leto
Triangle I
EZ Poly
Richman
Orca
MiniMogueVA
Cetonesynth2
Arch Avenger Pro
Voyager
JBM Jagular
ZynAddSubFX ( ????? )
More Krakli synths
prodigious (synthescience.)
pterosaur (vstplanet.com )
Acquit XX11
!j ninja (abandonware?)
xhip (aciddose.)
mainliner X2 (arcdev.)
pulsation lite (atomsplitter.)
sn-emu (ben anderson.)
dschlon_nzElektrik
evm.mutaar (found somewhere in the "old vst for the masses")
sonata (soha.)
nitrox (sonic lion.)
isnonu (xoxos.)
Oxe Fm Synth
OSC321
Pink synth
ilo Synth
majkens subduer
polyiblit
Voyager
HG fortune synths

OK, at least one has already been used, some may not be suitable, and an update is in order, but if this can be managed on the KVROSC site, being more easily accessible ... then that would be cool :)

Dwsel, I do like the idea of a one sample comp, or a one sample set comp. I was recently thinking of a one material comp ... there is a good range of sounds that can be made with paper. ( nothing else involved except hands, mouth, fingers ... eg no banging on a table as then part of the sound would be the table )
Tear it, rustle it, flick it, sharply pull it tight, rub it/scratch it, pop a paper bag - there you have your percussion :)
Blow through it ( squeaky ), twist it, stretch it and pluck it, make a cylinder and blow across the end, rifle the pages of a book,
.. There we have it .. a range of sounds made from paper. Either someone records/samples these, or we agree rules to govern how folks sample their own?? yep, could be interesting :)

tattiemannie wrote:OK, maybe wrong place, but the free synth thing reminds me ..... Cryologic is now free!
So, a) it needs to be taken out of the prize pool, and b) it now looks like a good candidate for an OSC featured synth :)
Ehm no Fred, is not free at all! Don't know where you get this information... :)
BTW there is a free version with some limitations (only 16 presets and load function disabled for OSC 1 and 2).

Cheers,
Max

The thing with a synth list is that new synths come out all the time, and it would be a shame to miss new ones like Tyrell or UGO's new Rez (coming soon) etc, just because we had a fixed list to go by.

If no synth gets a majority OSC 23 song vote now, that will be 3rd time with no winner and something has to be done. So far Mac's idea of having a shortlist of 3 to choose from looks like the best bet.

But it pays to do this properly as fav synths produce twice or more the number of entries as others.

My apologies Max ... I'll go check where I found that info :oops:

No problem Fred ;)

P.S.: maybe the problem is that the free version has been announced as a "free version of Cryologic" and in the news appeared as "MaxSynths released Cryologic FREE" (which sounds like "for free") :hihi:

That may well be it Max, because if I had seen this on a non-trusted site, I would have cross checked with you before coming on here with my foot in my mouth :hihi:

Again, I apologise ( ..... could we do an OSC with the free version anyway?? :) )

tattiemannie wrote:( ..... could we do an OSC with the free version anyway?? :) )
By all means! :hyper:

dwsel wrote:
debby wrote:I can't read post well and don't have time too. Just I can see this.

** One-Synth-Challenge 23: Any Synth **

Good news!! great step.

but If I add one, How about add song preset(like fxp) If composer want it. because I had listen very good songs at last synth1 contest. and I had wished to get that presets.

I think, if some people do it, at least, more many people will listen contest songs.
If I understood your post well, you're suggesting obligatory sharing of the patches used in OSC entries? (Correct me if I'm wrong). In past we were encouraged to post our patches. As far as I (probably don't) remember somewhere around OSC 15, there was a special folder for that on 4shared.com. Some people were putting there whole banks, some only drums - to help other contestants to build their own drum patches when the synth was not very 'drum-friendly'.

Personally I don't see a problem with having such a rule. I think it might be discouraging though, because of time needed to organize, categorize such a number of presets. For example: lets say I've created and saved as *.fxp 10 instruments, 4 of them got in the meantime 3 different versions. In the final mix I used 7 instruments - 5 from my library (I can't remember which version I used ;) ) and 2 are just tweaked initial presets. At the mixing stage I tweak them even more. My final bank would have to have 20-30+ patches with 70% of them highly redundant (all of them requiring name, version etc.)...

I was thinking yesterday about posting my latest patches as *.fxb bank for SmallQoo - synth I had made entry with for current OSC - in KVR area dedicated for that task: http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php I haven't done it yet, because I see very little (or any) interest on this synth. Why bother when probably no one will ever make use of these patches? ;)

Well, it's important to 'program' your patches giving them appropriate names when you create them KBD PD LD... in a directory... I think it could be interesting, we could make an experiment on this... or at least upload them in kvr bank dir :)

About choosing synths for future comps and the SynthEdit and FL issues, can you please try out this one as that is made with the new version of SynthEdit? http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/index2.php?go=15

So load up a bunch of instances (without renaming dll's) and push it like you would during a normal OSC composition.

Also, we should try and suss out cross platform synths to include Mac users, any suggestions? So far, apart from the TAL series, I've only found these:

- LinPlug's free Alpha
- Big Tick's Cheeze Machine
- daHornet
- Crystal
- reFX's Claw

V'ger wrote:Also, we should try and suss out cross platform synths to include Mac users, any suggestions? So far, apart from the TAL series, I've only found these:

- LinPlug's free Alpha
- Big Tick's Cheeze Machine
- daHornet
- Crystal
- reFX's Claw

V'Ger here are the rest from what i could see...

I took a look at the list, and got 694 total Free vst's (only self oscillated), and out of that there were about 30 ones that were cross platform, and the site was up / plugin was downloadable.

Here is a list:

--------------------------------------------------------
Medium to Advanced:
--------------------------------------------------------
JellyFilter
VOPM
TAL-Bassline
TAL-U-No-62
Creakbox
Jasuto
Remedy
Harmonical
Vintager
Harmony Box
FTM String
JX10
Crazy Diomonds
NWBass
Drummachine R8
Fineline

----------------------------------------
Really Simple:
CHIP32
Orca
Particle Fountain
X-Orcism
Delay Lama
DX10

Free in Magazine:
MicroTera
CM-505 (drum synth)
CM-303

Modular/Host VSTs:
Studio Units
CPS

Free Analog Drum Synth:
KickMaker

Also, Mr. Alias synth was used before in OSC, but it's also crossplatform!

I propose we could try doing a Two Synth Challenge:
For example, Delay Lama, with TAL-Bassline? That would be fun!

Regards
-Brian
Last edited by bjporter on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

If anyone was wonder why the post above was blank... I'm still trying to figure out the syntax here :oops:

Return to “Instruments”