One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Curve2CM is information that the fully functional demo of Curve2 is available to download from CableGuys www. Morover the demo is no time limited.

I think, better would be to use the unlimited version of Curve2demo instead Curve2CM.

Unfortunately "fully functional" is just a sales gimmick as it can't save presets or state. Plus only one instance per project allowed.

Is it possible to put up a page with links (on the OSC site) to places where we can download free VST plugs? I've hunted everywhere and can't find a list. Y'know, something ordered like

Reverb
(other things)

Mastering
- EQ
- limiters
- compressors

It will also stop nutso newbie questions like "Why can't we use paid plugs?" :hihi:
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

I did start such a page once, will see if I can finish it.

My 2c.
It'd be an ever-changing page I suspect. As devs bail on their freeware etc.. I'd point a link checker at the page to keep an eye on link health. :)

objectman wrote:Is it possible to put up a page with links (on the OSC site) to places where we can download free VST plugs? I've hunted everywhere and can't find a list. Y'know, something ordered like

Reverb
(other things)
How about searching KVRAudio's database like in this example?

It shows you all results for free VST reverbs programmed for Win 64bit systems.

Didn't think of that - thanks for the tip :)

I suppose I could check past comps and see what people used in their work. A decent (subtle) compressor is really what I was after.

Trouble with the KVR database is that it shows all possible and the user rating is off, I suspect because there is no algorithm taking age and other factors in account so it collects votes from all time which means old and sometimes no longer available stuff that in reality is worse than new are rated higher. For example Epicverb is only around 45th on the list of reverbs with a lot of worse stuff in front which I think we all agree must be wrong.

So for a more updated and convenient list, look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/re ... ed-plugins

I've tried to order them within categories as well. Not all will agree with the picks or order etc, but it's just a place to start, especially for beginners (or returners.. ;) )

The link to the plugin list can be found in the FAQ section on the site from now on.

And I will use a link checker like suggested which I'll hopefully remember to run from time to time..

Very nice list. Thank you very much. It's probably worthy of a main (left column) link. You could use "Plugs" as the word so it all fits nice.

One thing I hate when building sites is when a client sends 8 short words for 8 buttons and then decides they want a 3 word, 25 letter button on the home page!

That list is really great. I'm just gonna download all those plugs and audition each one until it sounds right. I believe that some plugs do a better job when married to the right tune. Brand loyalty can lead to frustration I'm finding with all this music palava. :roll:

Edit: Ah, actually where it is is great. We seasoned veterans don't want to give away all these freemium muso industry secrets right off the bat. Let them work for that research link by hitting FAQ. :D

Heh not only that, but the general idea is to use the synth as much as possible so maybe shouldn't promote effects too much even though it's obvious from voting people rather have a good sounding track stuffed with effects than a lean, pure one cleverly done without. :shrug:

V'ger wrote:Heh not only that, but the general idea is to use the synth as much as possible so maybe shouldn't promote effects too much even though it's obvious from voting people rather have a good sounding track stuffed with effects than a lean, pure one cleverly done without. :shrug:
yup...if i could be arsed (or had the time), i'd set up another monthly challenge...you would only be allowed to use the synth and it's included effects, nothing else...ya esta...nada mas...flip all else...zip !!....solo

not sure what i'd call it......maybe, errrmm...one synth challenge ?? :P

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
V'ger wrote:Heh not only that, but the general idea is to use the synth as much as possible ...
yup...if i could be arsed (or had the time), i'd set up another monthly challenge...you would only be allowed to use the synth and it's included effects, nothing else...ya esta...nada mas...flip all else...zip !!....solo

not sure what i'd call it......maybe, errrmm...one synth challenge ?? :P
HAHA! So, even pretend it's hardware and only allow one instance of it? :) I think people would have to start getting really good at automation at that point.

Should be noted... not everyone is created equal at composition (I can't play the keys worth a darn) or synth programming (I really still suck at it, too), so some basic enhancements such as delay and reverb really help to level the playing field just a bit... otherwise some regulars who are particularly skilled at both already would probably win every month. I'm of the opposite opinion to allow anything as long as the original signal came from the synth.

And yeah - KVR listings are shaky at best, sometimes skewed by few reviews with one undeservedly negative, too. The sheer volume of plugins is also hard to sift through. And, V'ger - thanks for that list! I was looking for a good frequency analyzer, that Voxengo one looks really nice; it'll be the first one to try momentarily... :)

Funny someone mentions the effects regarding the OSC.
I keep getting comments comparing my tracks to chip-tunes and c64 sounding things - which I have no bias toward whatsoever. If anything I'm biased toward the PSX era sound chips. :P

Don't get me wrong - I'm flattered with some of the comparisons but I was thinking a couple weeks ago - okay, either it's because I'm rubbish at synth programming or it's because all my entries have been effect-free and that gives it a more pure-oscillator-centric sound no matter what I do.
I have a feeling it's a bit of both. ;)

Still - next entry I should probably use a bit of compression to help bring the loudness up. My entries are the quietest by a good margin. >.<

Well, even with one chanell and one sound people are able to do some miracles... but I don't think this is the point for OSC.

This competition would be nice to be created in the way which gains sound designer skills. Let's say 'Sound Designer Kindergarten".

Return to “Instruments”