One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi buddies.
I was thinking about one thing.

I used to surf into an old videogame forum here in Spain long time ago.
Each year, we were making a thread to post a big wall of pics about all us, about all forists. It was interesting how were looking each other.

I'm thinking if some of you would like to make this same thing but only for OSC contributors, this way we could see all OSCers faces. No harm on it, in my opinion.
And it is just one idea. Feel free to tell me what do you think.

In case of a positive response. You all have to send me the pics via PM, and i will do the whole wall.
We could make this running during a month or two, so more people will be in the wall of pics.

Remember that this is just one idea, a project, so don't spam with private messages with pics already because it have not been decided yet.
What do you think?

Have a nice day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:I'm thinking if some of you would like to make this same thing but only for OSC contributors, this way we could see all OSCers faces. No harm on it, in my opinion.
Oh gosh, you haven't seen my face - there's some harm in it, alright! ;)

IrionDaRonin wrote:Hi buddies.
I was thinking about one thing.

I used to surf into an old videogame forum here in Spain long time ago.
Each year, we were making a thread to post a big wall of pics about all us, about all forists. It was interesting how were looking each other.

I'm thinking if some of you would like to make this same thing but only for OSC contributors, this way we could see all OSCers faces. No harm on it, in my opinion.
And it is just one idea. Feel free to tell me what do you think.

In case of a positive response. You all have to send me the pics via PM, and i will do the whole wall.
We could make this running during a month or two, so more people will be in the wall of pics.

Remember that this is just one idea, a project, so don't spam with private messages with pics already because it have not been decided yet.
What do you think?

Have a nice day :)
I'd be happy to share my ugly mug. Just gotta pick the most appropriate pic...

ShadowsofBirds wrote:Funny someone mentions the effects regarding the OSC.
I keep getting comments comparing my tracks to chip-tunes and c64 sounding things - which I have no bias toward whatsoever. If anything I'm biased toward the PSX era sound chips. :P

Don't get me wrong - I'm flattered with some of the comparisons but I was thinking a couple weeks ago - okay, either it's because I'm rubbish at synth programming or it's because all my entries have been effect-free and that gives it a more pure-oscillator-centric sound no matter what I do.
I have a feeling it's a bit of both. ;)

Still - next entry I should probably use a bit of compression to help bring the loudness up. My entries are the quietest by a good margin. >.<
I got a similar comment myself... and by coincidence I tend to use fx minimally. You must be on to something...

objectman wrote: I suppose I could check past comps and see what people used in their work.
Found a few faves doing just that!

Not a track for this month but two tracks made with one synth for our upcoming soundset for kiloHearts ONE. This soundset is available via www.kilohearts.com on short notice.

demo1:
https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/solidt ... bank-demo2

demo2:
https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/solidt ... hz-khs-one

enjoy!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Hey guys,

Just a humble request from a newcomer, for next month's OSC - one of the things I've looked forward to in the compo is getting to know a new free synth really well, to possibly add to my toolbelt - e.g. I've got some nice Triple Cheese presets now that I'll use in future projects.

But limited-trial synths are kind of a bummer - unless I spend a lot of money (or if I ever win, ha ha) I won't get to use the knowledge / presets ever again after the trial's over.

I know finding a good synth is tough - I joined in at #46 so I don't mind running all of the previous 45 synths of again, but not sure the veterans would agree :). And as a PC user I'm happy to use one of the many free PC VSTs - but I know that puts the Mac users through a lot of trouble.

Anyway just thought I'd throw my two cents, and put in in vote for fully free synths (if there are any left!).

Yes I've heard others say the same and can see the drawback, but as you mention there are very few cross platform Mac/PC synths left, and all in all more annoying for people not being able to join if a PC only synth than having left over presets etc, so it's a balance.

Other factors are sound quality and performance, so choosing a cross platform synth just because it's the best free one (or even PC synths) when it's not really good can be a bummer, not to mention stability which can make people really pull the plug. Pay synths are almost guaranteed to work here.

The last factor is that this is KVR where both free and commercial synths are equally celebrated, so once in a while it fits with a pay synth and not only because it normally produces good prizes. For this month it's TAL-U-NO-LX which is a pay synth, and even though it's cross platform and there is a smaller free version that makes it a good package on its own, it's nice to pay back TAL for all his free and great plugins over the years with a little promotion and the synth is very good in itself too.

IrionDaRonin wrote:Hi buddies.

Hey Irion, is it still valid?

I have question about DAW automation - how much it can be used? When the synth lacks in modulation can I "modulate" using automation?

what aboput mikro prism? There aren't presets around, could be interesting.
dedication to flying

szalonykp wrote:I have question about DAW automation - how much it can be used? When the synth lacks in modulation can I "modulate" using automation?
Yes, you can use any amount of DAW automation you want (e.g. REAPER can modulate any VST parameter by LFO or envelope). Also, you can modulate using MIDI data, if that helps - using freeware plugs or native DAW capabilities. There are a few good free MIDI modulators, they're a bit of a pain to get configured with synths initially sometimes since you need to map some MIDI CC numbers around...

rod_zero wrote:what aboput mikro prism? There aren't presets around, could be interesting.
From my recollection, it may be nearly impossible to get percussion sounds from that synth. I'd be all for it, otherwise! :)

QuadrupleA wrote:But limited-trial synths are kind of a bummer
Agreed... I skipped the Steinb0rg month because of that - the company's left a bad taste in my mouth from past experience; no chance of another product purchase. Twin2 was a notable exception for me, since it was an unrestricted demo and a potential purchase already. This month, I'll probably buy U-NO LX as thanks for the freebies over the years.
But in general I much prefer the freebies, too, so I can add them to my arsenal and actually open my tracks up at a later date, should I want to!

z.prime wrote:
rod_zero wrote:what aboput mikro prism? There aren't presets around, could be interesting.
From my recollection, it may be nearly impossible to get percussion sounds from that synth. I'd be all for it, otherwise! :)
it is possible, maybe just not XOX kind of sounds
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”