One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

adagiocm wrote:... By comparison, the total number of atoms in the universe is estimated to be around 10^78.
Perfect analogy :tu: :tu: :tu:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

adagiocm wrote: I don't think you realize how vast the composition space is!

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that we want to calculate the total number of possible monophonic melodies in the diatonic scale only, limited to a 2 octave range. Also for the sake of simplicity, let's assume that we only allow 1/8th notes and 1/8th rests. So, for every 1/8th step, we have 15 possibilities. (7 notes per octave, 2 octaves, plus one rest.) Since we have 64 such steps within 8 bars (another simplifying assumption here: 4/4 time signature only), the total number of possibilities is

15^64 = 1.86 x 10^75.

Obviously this is huge! And if we relax some of the assumptions above (allow occasional notes outside the diatonic scale, allow different length notes, different time signatures etc) this number becomes much bigger. By comparison, the total number of atoms in the universe is estimated to be around 10^78.

So, we can all rest assured that we can keep coming up with new melodies. We won't run out :)
Nice, but what can I blame for not coming up with a tune now? :ud:

V'ger wrote:Nice, but what can I blame for not coming up with a tune now? :ud:
Sorry V'ger, I can't help you there. If you come up with a good excuse, I'd also like to know :)

ClaRago, good one, I didn't know about this story.

Hey guys, I think now I know why all the pop songs of the past several years sound the same:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articl ... head-name/

adagiocm wrote:Hey guys, I think now I know why all the pop songs of the past several years sound the same:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articl ... head-name/
Dave, from boyinaband.com, released a video about him a few weeks ago; it's an interesting watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DHuug ... EF7F2AE32D

Remember reading about Martin before and particularly impressed when he told they were a team writing 24 hours a day on a track, and not just to finish it fast, but to keep at it before they got sick of it. So when Max had done his bit and gone home for some kip, another guy or pair (cant remember of find the article now) took over and added or mixed stuff so that Max came back he was totally inspired again by what they had done. What also stuck in the mind was how he was emphasizing the importance of details. Like they would fiddle for hours with just a small part.

V'ger wrote: Thanks to Bjporter's programming skills, it is now possible to go outside the boundaries of what we've been able to do with Google docs question form and there's now the option to rate the tracks in order by stacking them.
Everything is clear but I maybe didn't get the idea of giving points in this new system. If for example we'll have 25 entrants so after I stacked all tracks in order, the points will be assigned top-down like 25 pts (1 place). 24 pts (2 place), 23 pts (3 place) etc down to 1 pt (25 place)? Or will the points be given another way? Sorry about coming back to this, but I' might misunderstood something.
: : vokje : : oxebe : :

oxebe wrote:
V'ger wrote: Thanks to Bjporter's programming skills, it is now possible to go outside the boundaries of what we've been able to do with Google docs question form and there's now the option to rate the tracks in order by stacking them.
Everything is clear but I maybe didn't get the idea of giving points in this new system. If for example we'll have 25 entrants so after I stacked all tracks in order, the points will be assigned top-down like 25 pts (1 place). 24 pts (2 place), 23 pts (3 place) etc down to 1 pt (25 place)? Or will the points be given another way? Sorry about coming back to this, but I' might misunderstood something.
Correct

I liked current system with multiple similar votes possible, it was very flexible. But yeah, the sums of votes given by voters might differ which could be a downside.
Anyway I voted 'yes' for stacking system, will be more leveled perhaps? Let's see...
: : vokje : : oxebe : :

Kvr is advertising this product - just had a look and the wanted to know could I run this in standalone mode for the KVR OSC?

http://twistedtools.com/shop/reaktor/ultraloop/

Note: it's requires full version of Reaktor ? If I import 4 bar loops and then use it's interesting sequnecer and stay away from the fx that changes the sound source such as stutter effect, reverse, etc ... So would this be a possibilty to use for the KVR OSC's ?

oxebe wrote:I liked current system with multiple similar votes possible, it was very flexible. But yeah, the sums of votes given by voters might differ which could be a downside.
Anyway I voted 'yes' for stacking system, will be more leveled perhaps? Let's see...
Thanks oxebe. Just FYI, I think in the OSC history,there's been about 4-5 voting systems used, so we're constantly experimenting!

abovethoughts wrote:Kvr is advertising this product - just had a look and the wanted to know could I run this in standalone mode for the KVR OSC?

http://twistedtools.com/shop/reaktor/ultraloop/

Note: it's requires full version of Reaktor ? If I import 4 bar loops and then use it's interesting sequnecer and stay away from the fx that changes the sound source such as stutter effect, reverse, etc ... So would this be a possibilty to use for the KVR OSC's ?
Sorry, unfortunately no - part of what makes it a 'challenge' :).

If Reaktor was free for all to use, then absolutely you could use it. Thanks for checking about it.

New here - is there a place where new OSC challenges are announced?
cheers

Will be announced here on the forum and on the site on the 1st of the month, not before (to give everybody the same time).

Return to “Instruments”