One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

crimsonwarlock wrote:
satYatunes wrote:looks like either we are going to get to use the commercial effects plugins or lose the DAW effects use :-D
... or not :D
Without reading a 101 pages: So we can't use effects from the DAW that modulate the signal, like flanger, chorus...etc., right?

EDIT: Answered my own question from the rules page..

Effects (external plugins):
- Any type of modulation effect like chorus, phaser, flanger etc is not allowed.
However, if another type of effect (like delay or reverb for example) has modulation as a secondary effect,
it can be used, but the modulation usage must be minimal.
- Effects that pitch the sound are not allowed.
- Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
- DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available.
- Any kind of effect already IN the synth can of course be used freely.

I figured it all out guys.

We're going to sign up for a batch of computers. When they arrive at my place, I'll install Windows 8 and Bitwig, and ship them out to each member;

So now we'll all have the same exact hardware, and software. Problems solved.

It will cost about $800 / box + $50 shipping = about $850.

Who's in?

e@rs wrote:Everybody uses a different DAW (and it's effects), so it's not fair from the start.
No it isn't, but the question is really if we ought to increase this imbalance or not by allowing commercial plugins.

I know arguing this point is slightly ironic seeing that the current competition is OSC 60: Any One Synth where commercial synths are allowed, but that's a one off. Maybe this was the time for commercial effects as well..

Examigan wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
satYatunes wrote:looks like either we are going to get to use the commercial effects plugins or lose the DAW effects use :-D
... or not :D
Without reading a 101 pages: So we can't use effects from the DAW that modulate the signal, like flanger, chorus...etc., right?
I was just kidding seeing the current debate over whether we should allow commercial effects or not.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

bjporter wrote:I figured it all out guys.

We're going to sign up for a batch of computers. When they arrive at my place, I'll install Windows 8 and Bitwig, and ship them out to each member;

So now we'll all have the same exact hardware, and software. Problems solved.
:lol: Any idea for the soundcards, the speakers and the room acoustics?

Why not even go further, let's all have major surgery and install the same brains, ears and other bodyparts so we'll be as equal as possible? :D :wink:
Sorry this has to be the lamest post ever

And for total equality all the submissions have to be dubstep.

Examigan wrote:

EDIT: Answered my own question from the rules page..

Effects (external plugins):
- Any type of modulation effect like chorus, phaser, flanger etc is not allowed.
However, if another type of effect (like delay or reverb for example) has modulation as a secondary effect,
it can be used, but the modulation usage must be minimal.
- Effects that pitch the sound are not allowed.
- Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
- DAW effects are allowed, as are 3rd party effects if they are freeware and easily available.
- Any kind of effect already IN the synth can of course be used freely.
Actually this was a little fuzzy to me because they list what you can't use but then list exceptions and then DAW effects are mentioned but could someone tell me if I have this right? I'm thinking of joining in on the fun next month.

You cannot use Chorus, Flange, Phaser, etc, unless:
1) It is included as an effect already in the synth
2) It is a secondary effect of a freeware, or DAW effect, and then only can be used sparingly.

Is this right?

Also, they mention no effect that pitches the sound. Does this include using a pitch bend wheel on our controllers or are we allowed to use those?

Thanks in advance!
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

e@rs wrote:And for total equality all the submissions have to be dubstep.
:tu: :tu:

BassMasterK wrote:You cannot use Chorus, Flange, Phaser, etc, unless:
1) It is included as an effect already in the synth
2) It is a secondary effect of a freeware, or DAW effect, and then only can be used sparingly.
Nope, you can't use those FX... period, with the big exception when they are actually INSIDE the synth (so part of the synth's capabilities).

You can use other FX (then those mentioned), if they are either part of your DAW or freeware.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Are the free effects available from CM Magazine allowed? On one hand they are free - but you need a subscription to CM to access them. Thank you.

Nope - they're not free, but magware (basically commercial).
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Thanks for the clarifications. Can we use a pitch bend wheel on our controllers or is that forbidden?

BassMasterK wrote:Can we use a pitch bend wheel on our controllers or is that forbidden?
If the synth supports pitchbend.... :hihi:

You where joking, right? RIGHT? :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:
BassMasterK wrote:Can we use a pitch bend wheel on our controllers or is that forbidden?
If the synth supports pitchbend.... :hihi:

You where joking, right? RIGHT? :D
No. I apologize if it is a silly question. While I have been around KVR for many years I just recently started checking this competition out. The rules talk about effects that bend pitch but I wasn't sure if it was specifically a plugin effect that was forbidden, which could have a lot more options for bending a pitch than a common pitch wheel that every controller usually has.

Return to “Instruments”