One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes just pitch of audio (as in after synth output) is not allowed. Anything in the synth is of course encouraged to use as much as possible.

Since the name of the game here is to squeeze as much as you can out of the synth, use all the parameters you can and there's imo nothing like pitch bend to give an organic feel to a melody/riff. You can even get creative with the pitch bend using MIDI plugins like for example midiPBCurve.

Right on. Crimson's reponse made it clear I am overthinking this too much. If it is in the synth it is all good. Appreciate the responses and help with this. Just want to make sure I stay within the parameters.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Hello,

When I won the last OSC I had chosen the professional mastering as my prize.
So I sent to Balance Mastering (BM) my track Showdown as a WAV-file, where I took all the danymic plugins out of the stereo-channel. I only left my EQs. The WAV was 48kHz/24Bit and had plenty of headroom.

I got two versions back fom BM. Surprisingly both did not have big changes to my mix. They told me, that the mix was allready very good and there was nothing much to do. They mentioned that the mix has a lot of transients, which on the other side gives this track its character. And they mentioned also the good separation os the instruments. All in all I was happy to hear that my mix was fine and free of big mistakes.

Here you can download a zip-file, containing my MP3-version from OSC, the two mastered versions and some graphics, showing the frequency responses, waveforms and some stats.
http://www.astroimages.at/Showdown-mastered.zip

When you look at the spectrum.jpg, you see all four frequency responses normalised to 1kHz. Grey ist the raw-mix, green my MP3, pink the master1 and blue the master2.

My MP3:
I increased the mids in comparison to the raw-mix and I used a LP-filter around 16kHz to cut the extreme high frequencies. This allways helps the MP3-encoder to make a better sounding MP3-file. My DR was 9.

Master #1:
It is very close to the raw-mix. Just a tiny increase of the mids and now LP-filter!
The DR is 14 and so much more dynamic than my MP3. In this master they kept most of the transients and so this version sounds very similar to my MP3.

Master #2:
Here they made a more "analog" sound. With more analog gear the reduced the transients a bit, put more glue to the mix and decreased more the higher frequencies. The sound is now warmer, has softer attacks but as a whole it sound powerfull. The dynamic is still DR=14.

I am very happy to get the chance for this professional master to know, wehere I stand with my mixing technique. It is a good support for us amateurs, because I think most of us do not often get objective feedback from the pros!

cheers,
Photonic
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:... us amateurs
:uhuhuh: ... seriously, you are way beyond that classification :hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

@photonic: Yeah, amateurs like you should be banned from OSC. :hihi:

i dont get it how to install the factory presets :( @OBxd
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Thanks for the post Photonic, I will check them out more thoroughly later.

Note:

Note that from OSC 61 on, we will revert to the older system of a joint submissions and chat thread in order to tidy up the forum which is a wish by KVR owner Ben. We might even be moved to a separate forum but I hope with minimizing our footprint to one thread it might be good enough and we can stay as stickies here. Luckily the newly developed voting system has a page that requires login (to authenticate voters) which means there's no longer the need to write a post here to say you've voted so no need to keep up threads beyond the submissions so thread overlaps should be minimal if not at all.

photonic wrote: Here you can download a zip-file, containing my MP3-version from OSC, the two mastered versions and some graphics, showing the frequency responses, waveforms and some stats.
Many thanks for sharing this. Will check it out shortly, need all the help we can get in this area. :tu:

Caine123 wrote:i dont get it how to install the factory presets :( @OBxd
Did you read the install.txt in the factory.zip ;-)

chilledpanda wrote:
yeah :), but i dont get it (maybe i didnt sleep well today or am just dumb haha), it has to be the SPECIFIC path? i mean i keep my vst dlls on my system HDD C: so i need to make there the path + C:\ before it?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:
chilledpanda wrote:
yeah :), but i dont get it (maybe i didnt sleep well today or am just dumb haha), it has to be the SPECIFIC path? i mean i keep my vst dlls on my system HDD C: so i need to make there the path + C:\ before it?
Those instructions are for the mac presets (aupresets) I think the OBxd website had the wrong download for 'vst patches'.

photonic wrote:Hello,

When I won the last OSC I had chosen the professional mastering as my prize.
So I sent to Balance Mastering (BM) my track Showdown as a WAV-file, where I took all the danymic plugins out of the stereo-channel. I only left my EQs. The WAV was 48kHz/24Bit and had plenty of headroom.

I got two versions back fom BM. Surprisingly both did not have big changes to my mix. They told me, that the mix was allready very good and there was nothing much to do. They mentioned that the mix has a lot of transients, which on the other side gives this track its character. And they mentioned also the good separation os the instruments. All in all I was happy to hear that my mix was fine and free of big mistakes.

Here you can download a zip-file, containing my MP3-version from OSC, the two mastered versions and some graphics, showing the frequency responses, waveforms and some stats.

When you look at the spectrum.jpg, you see all four frequency responses normalised to 1kHz. Grey ist the raw-mix, green my MP3, pink the master1 and blue the master2.

My MP3:
I increased the mids in comparison to the raw-mix and I used a LP-filter around 16kHz to cut the extreme high frequencies. This allways helps the MP3-encoder to make a better sounding MP3-file. My DR was 9.

Master #1:
It is very close to the raw-mix. Just a tiny increase of the mids and now LP-filter!
The DR is 14 and so much more dynamic than my MP3. In this master they kept most of the transients and so this version sounds very similar to my MP3.

Master #2:
Here they made a more "analog" sound. With more analog gear the reduced the transients a bit, put more glue to the mix and decreased more the higher frequencies. The sound is now warmer, has softer attacks but as a whole it sound powerfull. The dynamic is still DR=14.

I am very happy to get the chance for this professional master to know, wehere I stand with my mixing technique. It is a good support for us amateurs, because I think most of us do not often get objective feedback from the pros!

cheers,
Photonic
Interesting how subtle the differences are but impressed how the dynamic range has been kept. Nothing squeezed to max loudness just for the sake of it as we sometimes hear happens with masters.

It's as you say nice to get confirmed that your own mixes are very good.

I am using 64 bit Ableton 9.
- Freeware effects are NOT easy to come by in 64 bit.
- I was albe to install Melda free FX as well as TAL FX
- J Bridger causes ableton to crash immediately when it bridges a 32 bit dll to 64 bits.
- I am unable to find a quality 64 bit freeware reverb plugin. TAL reverb sounds rotten IMO.
- Can someone point me to a quality freeware reverb for this challenge?
- I saw many submissions from previous competitions using DAW effects without being disqualified - so, If I'm unable, can I use ableton reverb?

Thanks

Xopher

xopher30 wrote:I am using 64 bit Ableton 9.
- Freeware effects are NOT easy to come by in 64 bit.
- I was albe to install Melda free FX as well as TAL FX
- J Bridger causes ableton to crash immediately when it bridges a 32 bit dll to 64 bits.
- I am unable to find a quality 64 bit freeware reverb plugin. TAL reverb sounds rotten IMO.
- Can someone point me to a quality freeware reverb for this challenge?
- I saw many submissions from previous competitions using DAW effects without being disqualified - so, If I'm unable, can I use ableton reverb?

Thanks

Xopher
Hi Xopher, DAW effects are totally 100% legit: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

Although I prefer using TAL Reverb III (I agree TAL reverb I is not great, II is fine), or Freeverb3 - as they sound incredible. TAL Reverb III is one of the greatest reverbs ever for pads - as it has this ability to lift the heavens into a sound

I use 32bit, as I agree, 64 is tough - and it's fun to use all those little plugins. I also experienced annoyance using Jbridge - although it should be fine if you do 32bit -> 32bit bridging (to make use of more than 3GB of ram)

Return to “Instruments”