One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bjporter wrote:I would very much like to make this 1-5 points / track voting again (like the previous). It worked fairly well, but now we can utilize the new site to make it better - and later on we can can always innovate in the future.
I didn't find the old system fair cause of total points mismatch. Is it going to be taken care of in some way? If yes, then I am okay with it or else "stacking" system is fine with me. Some mechanism was suggested by some people in the other thread, please do consider those.

I would reiterate to not consider the amount of time "stacking" system took in OSC60 while voting. OSC60 should be considered as one off event whereas number of entries were too many. It was epic and those only come once in a while. Look at OSC61 and we have only 9 so far, how many do we expect in next 9 days.. 10-15.. 20 max. So 29 tracks for stacking is not bad IMO.

I voted yes to disqualify the contestants failed to vote. It's like a race from start to end, if you failed to reach the finish line then you are disqualified, that's it.

VOTED.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Voted.... I would like to have tracks default to 1 in a 1-5 voting system, though.

And definitely remove the 2 column thing if it's a 1-5 vote.

satYatunes wrote:
bjporter wrote:I would very much like to make this 1-5 points / track voting again (like the previous). It worked fairly well, but now we can utilize the new site to make it better - and later on we can can always innovate in the future.
I didn't find the old system fair cause of total points mismatch. Is it going to be taken care of in some way? If yes, then I am okay with it or else "stacking" system is fine with me. Some mechanism was suggested by some people in the other thread, please do consider those.

I would reiterate to not consider the amount of time "stacking" system took in OSC60 while voting. OSC60 should be considered as one off event whereas number of entries were too many. It was epic and those only come once in a while. Look at OSC61 and we have only 9 so far, how many do we expect in next 9 days.. 10-15.. 20 max. So 29 tracks for stacking is not bad IMO.

I voted yes to disqualify the contestants failed to vote. It's like a race from start to end, if you failed to reach the finish line then you are disqualified, that's it.

VOTED.
Agreed I voted for the stacking system because I too find the old system too mismatch (e.g. if you look as the OSC cm total scoring stats there is a 198 point difference the top voter and bottom voter massive discrepancy), unless this is changing. Does seem strange that the only option for voting given was revert back to old ways and no consideration of suggestions.

I compared OSC60 with OSC cm similar amount of entries, tbh osc cm voting was a ball ache to enter and recheck the google docs to make sure the points values were correct as some were not.

I voted no on the disqualify on failing to vote though, just think it would reduce the number of contestants. Think the prize disqualifying for not voting is enough. Although I think 99.9% vote.

voted

Voted

You must have participated in the voting to win prizes: I think disqualification is a bit much.

With 1-25 tracks, stacking is OK,
but when U-he donates a prize I think the 1-5 point system should be in order. :wink:

chilledpanda wrote:I compared OSC60 with OSC cm similar amount of entries, tbh osc cm voting was a ball ache to enter and recheck the google docs to make sure the points values were correct as some were not.
I think the idea is to use the new voting system basically, but tweak it to score 1-5 points for each track - e.g. so you can just go and listen to it and pick 1-5, no more back & forth with google forms...

Voted.

I agree that disqualification on not voting is too much. Keep it as it is.

I voted against voting for the synth every time. I like the surprise factor. It also keeps the playing field a bit more level.

Voted.
I voted against disqualification if not voted as I think current system of vote to be eligible for prizes is good enough.
Stacking seems fine to me up to about 15-20 tracks, but given the difficulties am happy to return to 1-5 system (or even 1-10). I liked some of the suggestions about specifying max and min numbers for each band for greater fairness, and hope this will be looked at.
Also voted against having to enter a track to be eligible to vote as I would like to still be involved even when not submitted one myself.
Not in favour of voting by categories - I agree with IDF Power.
Let's keep it simple and friendly :)

satYatunes wrote: I didn't find the old system fair cause of total points mismatch. Is it going to be taken care of in some way? If yes, then I am okay with it or else "stacking" system is fine with me. Some mechanism was suggested by some people in the other thread, please do consider those.

VOTED.
Just to clarify, I had no issue with time - I enjoyed the stack voting, but I'd prefer to vote absolutely, not relatively. Some tracks are simply the same in quality to me.

Voted!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Voted, even if I'm new to the OSC challenge. Simply I plan to humbly participate to future competitions (possibly even to the actual one with OBXD if I can finish it in time), so I have voted.

And one thing which in my opinion is very important is that the effects must always be freeware products, in order to let the same chances to everyone regardless the ability to afford the luxury of expensive products. Everybody knows that the effects are a major part of the final impression on a song, so if two persons have both as excellent songs (excellent melody and harmony for example), the one which has a payware for his effects would be almost always the winner, letting quite never the least chance to the person having not the ability to afford the payware. So to let the same chances to everybody, the effects might be always freewares (or natively included in the DAW or in the synth itself, of course).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

ok, let me get this straight. If someone comes in top 5 but didn't vote then he/she doesn't get prize at all? if yes, then I will have to revote to change my stand on disqualification.
In this case why don't we move on to the next contestant in the list? For example, if #2 didn't vote then #6 should get the prize. From top #1, #3, #4, #5 and #6 contestants will be rewarded, assuming total # of entries are > 20.

Can someone explain what is the meaning "disqualification" then?
Just to clarify, I had no issue with time - I enjoyed the stack voting, but I'd prefer to vote absolutely, not relatively. Some tracks are simply the same in quality to me.
Agreed but the total mismatch can't be ignored, that's a loophole. I am sure V'ger can explain it better than mine.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:ok, let me get this straight. If someone comes in top 5 but didn't vote then he/she doesn't get prize at all? if yes, then I will have to revote to change my stand on disqualification.
Yes, it's currently no vote no prize, think this happened in one of the last five osc, think Jasinski didn't have time to vote but finished in the top five (apologies if it wasn't but it was someone. )
Just think no vote no song is a bit drastic because some of us in reality (like me) have little chance of winning (until I get much better lol) but enter cause it's fun todo. I'd be mighty peed off I'd spent the time doing a song and it been disqualified because off not voting due to lack of time. But I agree that everyone should make an effort to vote.

Voted. I too think absolute voting is better so whenever I feel certain tracks are equal, I can reward them the same amount of points.

IMO submitting a track and not finding the time to vote is disrespectful to the other competitors (except for special cases like being in hospital or having an accident - God forbid - or something like that). It comes with the job: you want to enter OSC, you'd better find the time to vote. We all have our lives, with problems, jobs, families and all, but nobody is forcing your hand to join OSC - if you do, do it right. After all, how do you expect your song to get votes when you don't bother to vote for the others? Think about that for a minute...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:IMO submitting a track and not finding the time to vote is disrespectful to the other competitors (except for special cases like being in hospital or having an accident - God forbid - or something like that). It comes with the job: you want to enter OSC, you'd better find the time to vote. We all have our lives, with problems, jobs, families and all, but nobody is forcing your hand to join OSC - if you do, do it right. After all, how do you expect your song to get votes when you don't bother to vote for the others? Think about that for a minute...
Agreed on everyone should vote and virtually all do except apart from the occasional one now and then. Is it becoming an issue that some aren't?
Just think that if someone doesn't think they have the time at the beginning of next month they will err on the edge of caution.

Plus how you going to qualify the special cases, do we need to get a sick note from the doctor or hospital?

Return to “Instruments”