One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IrionDaRonin wrote:
bjporter wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:I don't know if this has been posted already, but... :?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/08/s ... will-work/

Have a nice day :)
What's your take on this Irion?
Well, i read the complete article later that i posted this (Typical from me, lol).
It's only for USA Soundclouders. So it doesn't affect me directly.
There will be ads, like in youtube, but they will "reward" no Pro accounts with more time for uploading audio. From 2 hours to 3. And Pro accounts from 4 to 6.

I don't know what to think about this, if it is a bad movement or a "good" one.
To be honest, i don't like ads. I have my ads for Youtube channel turned off.
But also, they say that more part of the money will go to USA SC users...

All depends on how USA SC users see this. Just came to warn you all. :)
What do you think about this?

Have a nice day, bro :)
Hmmm, don't really care at this point. I wish they just offered high quality audio option, and had a better api, and more active development on their API stuff

Hello everyone - new OSC67 - LINUX / MAC / WINDOWS compatible!

Click link above - also some videos too in the Forum Post

:party: :party: :party: :band: :band2: :band2: :harp:

Crossposted from the OSC 66: ODsay discussion thread.
RuediRena on the OSC 66: ODsay discussion thread wrote:
photonic wrote:Hi all,

I could see on soundcloud that some do believe that I bend the rules too much with my starting sound. :o
In my opinion this is not the fact! Therefore you can download a ZIP-file from my website:
http://www.astroimages.at/musik/Talking.zip

I named this sound "talking" . In the ZIP-file you can find:
- screenshots from the ODsay settings and from the EQ and FX.
- the preset in vstpreset- and fbx-format
- and a MP3, starting with the raw sound, then with EQ and last with EQ and satturation.

I think the biggest difference to the raw sound makes the EQ, bossting to frequencies to increase some format-frequencies. The satturation only adds some grit and dirt.
Hi Manfred and you all,

as we were the ones who with our comment about filtering on Photonic's ODsay track prompted this post we want to make some comment on this topic. Due to it being a rather general observation latelywe move it to the general OSC discussion forum.
As you might have noticed RuediRena are a rather rare guest on the OSC lately. Now what we feel is that there is an increasing use of EQs and external filter plugins - sometimes on nearly every instance of the synth in use. We made a comment about this also on keith303's ODsay track. He was rather irritated but we sorted it out in a short discussion.

Also there is a discussion about floating kick sound with Digits and how to get around this behaviour of the synth with overdriving the output hard into some limiter. We appreciate all these mixing and EQing tricks. There is a lot to be learned by this which was always part of the fun with this great little community here. And, to be sure, we use(d) some of these tricks quite frequently in and outside of OSC. No kick without EQ!

But this is a rather small edge to balance on considering the in our opinion main rule to make music with only what one synth is capable of. We think that we all might stretch this rule more and more as we learn.

We are aware that this isn't the first time such an issue is brought up but maybe it is time to decide anew whether to allow the stretching or not as a lot of participants mature and new capable producers join. To us the fun and the challenge clearly lies in restriction although this might lead to less spectacular music.

Have a nice day
RuediRena

Hi RuediRena,

This sounds for me as we start again the discussion, if OSC is a Preset-Contest or a Music-Contest. And as I can remember, the majority voted to use EQ and FX to get good music. You can not say EQ is allowed, but not too much.

Maybe there will be another voting about the rules and other fundamental things. And you know, the members are changing frequently. Maybe you get another majority. But if the OSC will become a pure Preset-Contest, you will for sure loose a lot of members.

For me personally, the OSC is a very good place to learn and to imrove my production skills. Therefore I also joined the Mixing Challange here on KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=415154

Just my two cents,
Photonic
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Sad but true: OSC these days is all about production. That's one of the main reasons for taking the decision to step aside (apart from the choice of synths). Very slim chance to rank in the top 5 with a well written song (composition-wise) but with crude production. IMO all these tracks that are loaded with effects and sound processing have very little in common to the original sound of the chosen synth (which kind of makes the whole competition pointless); they sound great, but I wonder how many ppl would guess which synth was used to create those tracks if posted outside OSC...but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, have fun, guys ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I fully understand the point from RuediRena and idfpower. There are two different approaches what a OSC should be. There is no right or wrong. It is just a different intension. One group will show what can be done with just one synth. The other group will show how does one synth sound.
To satisfy both groups, we would need two separat challanges. Otherwise this question will never disappear!

photonic wrote: To satisfy both groups, we would need two separat challanges. Otherwise this question will never disappear!
Yup, that's the solution ;)

Thing is...hosting another competition would mean more hassle for the guys in charge of it and thinning the competitors pool since ppl would have to work either on 2 tracks or decide to join one competition or another...

I don't think it's possible to please all so maybe the best approach would be: join in & hang in there while it's fun, step aside when you don't feel motivated/acomplished anymore ;) Hey, it worked for me ;)
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
photonic wrote: Thing is...hosting another competition would mean more hassle for the guys in charge of it and thinning the competitors pool since ppl would have to work either on 2 tracks or decide to join one competition or another...
That's true!

photonic wrote:if OSC is a Preset-Contest or a Music-Contest.
I'm not sure I understand what the fuss is about.
The vocoder-esque sound in photonic's track in no way relied on external effects, eq or filtering - its in the original patch, the eq just sweetens it for the mix.
As I recall, I once made a synth (tunefish) whisper its own name, without any external fx whatsoever - just modulated its own built-in filters, and still fell foul of similar accusations.
Incidentaly, the current synth (Digits) is very capable of vocal like patches - without any filters either in or outside the synth :party:

RichardSemper wrote: As I recall, I once made a synth (tunefish) whisper its own name, without any external fx whatsoever - just modulated its own built-in filters, and still fell foul of similar accusations.
That was me :) "Accusations" is a strong word, though :)

Anyway, fwiw my previous posts were not aimed at someone in particular - just my observations, talking in general :)

idfpower wrote:
RichardSemper wrote: As I recall, I once made a synth (tunefish) whisper its own name, without any external fx whatsoever - just modulated its own built-in filters, and still fell foul of similar accusations.
That was me :) "Accusations" is a strong word, though :)

Anyway, fwiw my previous posts were not aimed at someone in particular - just my observations, talking in general :)
And all good points, well made.
Will you be returning to the challenge soon? This months synth is awesome when you get to know it, and its available on Mac/PC and Linux. Surely worth a shot :)

Photonic hit the nail on the head with the philosophical difference of "what can be done with just one synth" vs "how does one synth sound". I'm definitely in the production camp, that's just my interest, but they're equally legit approaches. The variety of tracks is part of the appeal of OSC. Remember that you are totally welcome to vote up tracks that adhere to your preferred philosophy and bomb the overproduced monsters (like mine)! I'd think that if everyone who's posted to OSC threads this year about the excessive focus on production & FX actually came out and voted their mind every month, it'd make a difference in the results.

Keith303 seems like an outlier here? I'm a huge user of effects, taking them to near extremes sometimes since I joined OSC. So I may be biased towards more effects. I've definitely put 2 eqs on almost every track at times.

- BTW, during the Richard voices concern, I poked around on Richard's project, and it was extraordinary. Each voice was finely articulated. Extreme creativity I must say. Here is the song for those who weren't there / forgot:

See 2:16-2:47
https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/r ... se-of-pain

@RuediRena, maybe we should do a statistical analysis of the plugin use over the years. But here's something to ponder: CPU / Memory speed, and amount have increased a huge amount (while price decreasing), and there was a time where using a lot of plugins wasn't possible. I was lucky, that back in 2010 I had one of the best CPU's available (and still using it - AMD Phenom II)

Thanks Brian :hug:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

photonic wrote:To satisfy both groups, we would need two separat challanges. Otherwise this question will never disappear!
True, either separate challenge or specials like OSC no external FX special .

And how about a voice special where vocals are allowed. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”