One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ichad.c wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
I tried everything too.
I liked the sound out of Hydi and Poly 2106, but both are CPU intensive.

Have a nice day :)
Thanks for liking HYDi's sound! A big chuck of the CPU use - goes towards the filters, and also a little bit - goes towards me and my obsessive compulsive disorder to constantly "tune" things :wink: . But the CPU use - might be a bit misleading - on my i5 Quad @ 3.1GHz.

1x instance: ~6% CPU.
10x instances: ~16% CPU. (using various effects across instances)

Version1.2 is now available btw.

Oh, thanks for the heads up, i will download it right now.
Your synth sounds very unique and warm. I hope there will be more presets in time.

IrionDaRonin wrote:
I hope there will be more presets in time.
Was actually planning on doing more presets post DC'12 - because I want to change/add/modify a couple of things - which means that I'll have to redo the presets manually again inanyway. But since alot of people are requesting more presets - who am I to deny them? Will see if I can make another bank with another 64 presets or so - sometime next week :wink: Still need to get some decent drum/percussion sounds out of her.

Cheers
Andrew

[OT] @ Changes in SoundCloud:

CATASTROPHE!

We fear that this wonderful community ends like Myspace. Changes to the most useless in the name of so called progress. We are disgusted.

Does any of you know if there is some action taken that we can join as there seems to be no way to make oneself heard to the makers of SoundCloud apart from one of those phoney Facebook pages.

In Germany we call this verschlimmbessern.

Maybe it is time once more to move on.

Greetings
RuediRena

[cross-posted in the Bazille submission and gossip thread]

verschlimmbessern: To make something worse in an honest but failed attempt to improve it.

Too true.. :(

It is really atrocious, and sooner or later they doubtless want to cash in with some other type 'features' (for our benefit of course.. ;)) that will make it even worse, but it seems we can still use the old version for a while at least. (the one where your tracks are not under the 'tracks' menu etc :roll:).

As an alternative, Archive.org has promised us user access to our account with them (everyone can upload directly there) as soon as we have done 50 competitions which is not far away. Of course that saves a lot of work and the audio quality is improved (since nothing will be recoded), but we lose the comments-on-song-timeline like with Soundcloud now, unless a similar feature is implemented.

Comments on song timeline feature has regressed in the new version too. Here is what I wrote to their customer support:
The new soundcloud design is a huge step backwards. I see no value in the new design, but a loss of functionality. As an example, it is impossible to see the timestamps for the timed comments as part of the activity. On the track view, comments are no longer shown in the list form either, so there is no way to see where in the track the new comments are referring to, so that I can respond appropriately. Also, groups have become more hidden. I know they are still there, but they are hard to get to. Everything is much harder to navigate, and there is absolutely nothing in the new design that is superior to the old design. Why are you changing it and moving the site's functionality/usability way backwards? It is highly disappointing.
And here is their response. Note that they are not even addressing the general issue of why they are making these changes:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in! We received a lot of feedback on Classic SoundCloud from users who complained that timed comments made it hard to see and navigate through a sound's waveform. In response, we designed the new version to put timed comments under the waveform and to only display the first comment in a comment thread. If you add "/comments" to the end of your sound's url, you will be able to see all of the comments made on it. Like this: http://bit.ly/11CKyux.

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Best,

Ed

All comments except 1 to be removed from the time line because that's what people want? Lol

But so much is waay out. I can't even find my tracks anymore in the new version, I had to go through the OSC group and click on myself there.. Very Bizarre. But Soundcloud has always had a strange logic and cumbersome operation.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Too many companies don't seem to learn this lesson and commit suicide. Myspace is the prime example. Netflix has been trying really hard to be on the same path too. And now SoundCloud.

Yes, they had a strange logic and cumbersome operation, I totally agree. But now it is much worse in that regard too, on top of loss of important functionality.

I'm sure a lot of people are giving them this feedback (myself included); I also signed up for the group that RuediRena pointed out. But I highly doubt that they will listen, if past examples in other companies are any indication. They will realize their mistake only when the content creators start leaving en masse, and by then it will be too late for them.

Time to look for alternatives, maybe Archives.org, since comments-on-timeline feature is now broken almost to the point of being useless anyway.

Not difficult to drop SoundCloud for Internet Archive as the sound quality difference is big, the latter also probably one of the most reliable sites generally.

Got to give kudos to Internet Archive all round. Currently hosting as downloads and streamables around 6GB of our tracks without a cost, commercial or fuss of any kind. Unbelievable really.

Yeah, that's quite awesome! Since timed comments and album art are both broken now at SC, I would definitely vote for switching to Internet Archive when we get to #50.
Last edited by adagiocm on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

V'ger wrote:Not difficult to drop SoundCloud for Internet Archive...
It wouldn't be too hard to make a site using the SoundCloud API that sucks less...

If you click the 'MORE' button at the top right you can choose to go back to the old classic Soundcloud, so as long as that option is left available it's still ok for me

Jon

I agree with Jon.

There is a button to switch to the old one. At least i can see the old one for now.
Once there is no more choice, we could move on to another site.

Have a good day :)

I agree as well. I didn't realize that option was available.

So far about 500 people agree with your remarks:
https://soundcloud.com/soundtrack-audio ... soundcloud

Of course stay as long as the old version works as we've used that for years already, but should it no longer be available anymore maybe a vote about moving is in order.

Return to “Instruments”