One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Agree with all those points. If it's about attracting new entries, active promotion on several sites would probably be the best thing, but the CM article proved it might not be as effective as imagined.

A huge number of entries makes voting harder like pointed out, but we could find or invent a voting system that could cope with it, or at worst, have a jury present a selection for voting etc.

CM is not free and is not available everywhere. I had tough time getting a copy when I was in India. Now that they have digital versions it should be accessible to many. Plus, people buy selected editions. I would think the annual subscribers are less than random buyers. Anyway, my point is that article in question might have been missed by many. Even if that reached the masses it depends on what kind of synth was selected around that time and what prizes were offered.
In comparison, promotions on those earlier mentioned sites will reach to musicians as well as listeners (who can spread the news to their artist friends).
As far as voting is concerned, some kind of easier system needs to be developed/discovered than current system.

Anyway, not sure whether it matters or not just wanted to put my thoughts on the table.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:CM is not free and is not available everywhere.
This, not just about the magazine, but in general, always freaks me out.
Say I was in Mumbai, and I had friends in the US or Europe or both, all perfectly willing to shop for me and ship anything to me that I need.

What are the remaining obstacles?

Every time I think I live in a modern, connected world, something like this reminds me that there are revolutions yet to arrive.

You're probably right SatYa, a promotion campaign might be effective, will try to it when I'm very energetic.

As for the voting, what would be great is if SoundCloud could implement a voting system where people could for example rate the songs as they come in on say, a scale from 1-10, then the top 10 of thsoe or so could go to a normal vote like now.

Hey guys, i know is still early but any idea what synth we maybe looking @ for next months osc?
What about Charlatan? do you think is suitable, to be honest i havent tried it yet, but i wouldnt mind using it for osc... now that i got sucked in to program patches... then again i wouldnt mind something different either... like padshop etc

angelremington wrote:Hey guys, i know is still early but any idea what synth we maybe looking @ for next months osc?
What about Charlatan? do you think is suitable, to be honest i havent tried it yet, but i wouldnt mind using it for osc... now that i got sucked in to program patches... then again i wouldnt mind something different either... like padshop etc
Hehe, take a look here. ;)

The next synths are usually secret until the challenge is running on in real time, this is for avoiding people starting a track already and get advantage over others.

Don''t worry, next one (OSC46) will be digital for breaking the actual VA cycle, the OSC 47 will be VA, the next OSC 48 will be VA again and the next one digital, OSC49.
We have about 4 synths to go until February or so.

If nothing new happens, for example a good synth from Developer Challenge 2012, this will be the main planning. But things are subject to changes always, so let's see.

The one digital i was talking the past month is not the OSC46. It will be the February one... So i must be patient. :P
V'ger wrote:You're probably right SatYa, a promotion campaign might be effective, will try to it when I'm very energetic.

As for the voting, what would be great is if SoundCloud could implement a voting system where people could for example rate the songs as they come in on say, a scale from 1-10, then the top 10 of thsoe or so could go to a normal vote like now.
Soundcloud staff are opened to new ideas now that they are launching slowly the NEXT Soundcloud version. Talk to them about this, we all could make a petition online and sign it.

Have a good day, guys :)

Oh sorry, i didn't realize you already ran Charlatan :)

As you probably know I only joined OSC @ OSC 43, didn't know what was ran previously... LOL I thought I was smart for suggesting Charlatan i didn't realize it has been out for a while.

Ok, so we go digital next ;)

Good stuff!

james0tucson wrote: What are the remaining obstacles?
In the OSC context the next obstacle is this:
A huge number of entries makes voting harder like pointed out, but we could find or invent a voting system that could cope with it
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:
james0tucson wrote: What are the remaining obstacles?
In the OSC context the next obstacle is this:
A huge number of entries makes voting harder like pointed out, but we could find or invent a voting system that could cope with it
In any case, it's a good problem to have :)

IrionDaRonin wrote: Don''t worry, next one (OSC46) will be digital for breaking the actual VA cycle,
I hope that it's free, or at least has a demo. Even more fun if the demo blats out noise, I'll just work that into the track.

Trouble is, I never seem to finish the track in time.

ghettosynth wrote:Trouble is, I never seem to finish the track in time.
The trick is to come to terms with the fact that a track is never ever finished. When it sounds good enough, and/or when the deadline arrives, you publish it. ;)

V'ger wrote: As for the voting, what would be great is if SoundCloud could implement a voting system where people could for example rate the songs as they come in on say, a scale from 1-10, then the top 10 of thsoe or so could go to a normal vote like now.
The general problem with sound cloud voting is, that everybody form soundcloud will get opportunity to vote and the system will be out of controll.

But if you consider SoundCloud voting, why not to create one comment in the track with a head "Voting" so everybody can write the value from 1-10 in this comment? At last, the only issue is to sume the points. In the comment there is always nickname so you may easly filter persons not allowed for voting.

ghettosynth wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote: Don''t worry, next one (OSC46) will be digital for breaking the actual VA cycle,
I hope that it's free, or at least has a demo. Even more fun if the demo blats out noise, I'll just work that into the track.

Trouble is, I never seem to finish the track in time.
Only i can't remember right now how to get it. But don't worry. It is free. ;)

And due is it free, i hope to see some missed participants here. I'm missing Gorgorgath and some others.

Have a good day :)

V'ger wrote:You're probably right SatYa, a promotion campaign might be effective, will try to it when I'm very energetic.
Sure. I can certainly help. Let me know if I can provide any assistance.
V'ger wrote: As for the voting, what would be great is if SoundCloud could implement a voting system where people could for example rate the songs as they come in on say, a scale from 1-10, then the top 10 of thsoe or so could go to a normal vote like now.
That could easily become uncontrollable.
I can wear my programmer hat and brush up my skills to design a voting system. But it's going to take a huge effort plus it's been a long time since I left programming. If there is enough interest then I can start working on it. I have some vague ideas to make the song and voting both anonymous. For example, when the participants submit their track we will hide the artist name and song title before publishing it for voting. Think of the transcoding process the SC does now, it just converts the bit part, we will hide the title and name. During voting, the voters will only see Song #1, Song #2 in the list and vote for their songs. Except for the signature style of certain participants it won't be easy to figure out who the song creator is. At the end, the voting and song details will be published for everyone to validate then we can open up the champagne bottle to celebrate the winner :-)

I have another proposal for the current system not sure if it was discussed or suggested before. Why don't we use the "scale" system for voting. For example, every voter has to rate a track in a scale of say 1 - 10. During voting we listen to each and every track anyway, it's just a matter of putting a number beside it. In the current system we have to find only 5 to vote, but in the scale system every track will get some point and at the end the track with higher point will win.
Website | Portfolio

But what do you want to do with Facebook guys? A whole page? Or just a group?
The page will take time, the group just a couple of clicks.

Have a good day :)

Return to “Instruments”