One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

crimsonwarlock wrote:Question: if I add a new version of my track to the OSC-group, can some OSC-mod remove the old version (I will put 'preview' or something in the title), so I don't have to actually delete the old version from my own account and loose all the comments ?
Yeah I can do that, also for future reference - under your track there's a 'Add to group' drop down, click on that, and find the OSC group and click that to grey it out:

bjporter wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:Question: if I add a new version of my track to the OSC-group, can some OSC-mod remove the old version (I will put 'preview' or something in the title), so I don't have to actually delete the old version from my own account and loose all the comments ?
Yeah I can do that, also for future reference - under your track there's a 'Add to group' drop down, click on that, and find the OSC group and click that to grey it out:
OK, thanks. So I can actually 'unshare' the current track.

Still contemplating what to do. I have a slightly better mixed version and could upload this one as 'final' (before midnight ;)). But I also feel I lost a bit of the analog feel of the current version. Choices choices..... :D

Well, maybe some coffee might help.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

bjporter wrote:How many people like the sound of Arc 5? Here's a quicky demo I made:
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/a-few-m ... with-arc-5
The demos sound good and the concept of different types of synth engines in one synth (like ZynAddSubFX for example) is a brilliant one, but I know from years at KVR and running OSC that the tiny GUI and tabs wont be so welcome and neither will the exe's that is installed in the operating system directory.. It also seem to lack detailed editing which will be a feature sorely missed in a place like One-Synth-Challenge..

The plugin also spreads its files around on the disk in different folders (My Documents, Program Files, VST folders etc) without an option for those who prefer to have all in a dedicated audio folder or even a single plugin folder, so all in all it could be a 'friendlier' plugin, even though that seems to be what it aspires to be.

V'ger wrote:
bjporter wrote:How many people like the sound of Arc 5? Here's a quicky demo I made:
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/a-few-m ... with-arc-5
The demos sound good and the concept of different types of synth engines in one synth (like ZynAddSubFX for example) is a brilliant one, but I know from years at KVR and running OSC that the tiny GUI and tabs wont be so welcome and neither will the exe's that is installed in the operating system directory.. It also seem to lack detailed editing which will be a feature sorely missed in a place like One-Synth-Challenge..

The plugin also spreads its files around on the disk in different folders (My Documents, Program Files, VST folders etc) without an option for those who prefer to have all in a dedicated audio folder or even a single plugin folder, so all in all it could be a 'friendlier' plugin, even though that seems to be what it aspires to be.
V'ger,

Thanks for your detailed and honest opinion.

We are currently under the development of enhanced version of Arc 5 including Mac version. CPU wise, we're expecting the usage will be reduced dramatically and interface wise, we will give more options for detailed editing. And also consider how not to spread Arc's related files on the disk. :)

* The reason why the GUI of Arc 5 is tiny is it is originally designed for HW synthesizer. To be exact, current GUI of Arc 5 is originally designed for LCD panel of HW synthesizer. :)

Once again, thank you for your review and I'm truly glad getting response from you.

All the best,

V'ger wrote:I know from years at KVR and running OSC that the tiny GUI and tabs wont be so welcome and neither will the exe's that is installed in the operating system directory.. It also seem to lack detailed editing which will be a feature sorely missed in a place like One-Synth-Challenge..
I thought the whole idea of OSC is pushing the limits of a synth and finding solutions to overcome whatever shortcomings that synth may have...right? :)

On a different note, if Arc5 ever gets selected for an OSC, I presume it will be the (free) artist J-Path edition. It will be cool if we'd also get a special OSC preset bank with it - a few distinct sounds from the factory banks (or some totally new, why not? Hey, we can dream, right). There are tons of rad sound this synth can make and the J-Path bank, although it's freakin' awesome, goes in a somewhat different direction.

The best thing about Arc5 is giving you instant inspiration. I don't know who created the factory banks, but that guy deserves a medal, because very few synths manage to deliver such cool sounds out of the box, and Arc5 sounds like nothing I've ever tested or used so far. The presets are so modern sounding, intricate and distinct that you can spend hours only shuffling them and combining randomly and still laying down cool song sketches - without touching any edit knob :) The last time I had so much fun with a stock synth (that I can remember) was when I've tested Dune - and it turns out most ppl have chosen it for the current OSC ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:I thought the whole idea of OSC is pushing the limits of a synth and finding solutions to overcome whatever shortcomings that synth may have...right? :)
Totally agree. Hence my choice of weapon in the current OSC ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
idfpower wrote:I thought the whole idea of OSC is pushing the limits of a synth and finding solutions to overcome whatever shortcomings that synth may have...right? :)
Totally agree. Hence my choice of weapon in the current OSC ;)
+1 ...so true! :)

crimsonwarlock wrote:Totally agree. Hence my choice of weapon in the current OSC ;)
That's precisely why I said that earlier :) Your choice was a bit of a shock to me, but the result speaks for itself ;)
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Do we know what November's is yet?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

idfpower wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:Totally agree. Hence my choice of weapon in the current OSC ;)
That's precisely why I said that earlier :) Your choice was a bit of a shock to me, but the result speaks for itself ;)
Thnks for the compliment :D

Mushy Mushy wrote:Do we know what November's is yet?
Also eagerly awaiting that information :D

It's out ;)

idfpower wrote:It's out ;)
8)
Might put one in this month.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I need to clarify some things in my head about the rules and it's really hard to read all these pages.
You can answer with Y/N, that's all I need

Can I use?
  • 1. all sort of line/curved automation on a MIDI channel or buses/sends
    2. record the month's synth and use the audio in drum-machines?
    3. use Resonators from Ableton Live?
    4. use pitch automation (ie: for buildups, rises)
    5. use Grain Delay from Ableton Live
    6. use Max4Live Effects?
    7. use Vocoder from Ableton Live
    8. use Corpus from Ableton Live
Last edited by radd on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think the most important rule is "you're not allowed to do anything using effects that the unadorned synth couldn't do".

Return to “Instruments”