One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As many of you probably already noticed. Blaukraut is working on a 2.0 version of Charlatan.

Some of the new features:
  • true unison mode with stereo depth control.
  • new lfo shapes
  • stereo noise
  • 50% cpu drop - which is especially great for contests like OSC :wink:
I just finished a track with nine charlatan 2.0b3 instances. Take note that the kick is the only sound that isn't from Charlatan.

My point is: Maybe its a good idea to use this synth again as soon as it is finished?
Anyway, here's the track to get a feeling how it sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/deceiving-charlize

More info about Charlatan 2.0 beta: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6123747
And for the people that aren't familiar with Charlatan, have a listen to the great tracks from OSC #33: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-33
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Yes, Charlatan seems nice! I still think xhip looks interesting as well. And OxeFM if we want to revisit FM so soon after Dexed...

Read somewhere about new version of Anubis (OSC 14). Haven't tried so far ...

I have found a nice free VST to create a sidechain or 'ducking' effect, it works like Xfer LFOTool and Cableguys VolumeShaper. It's Windows 32 bit only, but I've used it in 64 bit with jBridge on my OSC #75 track without any issues.

It is called BIGKIXDIPPA and can be found here: https://www.hintonandfairchild.co.uk/pr ... gkixdippa/

Maybe something to add to the recommended plugins list? It does not alter the sound in any way, all it does is change the volume up and down so it should be OK to use for OSC's.

Reefius wrote:It is called BIGKIXDIPPA and can be found here: https://www.hintonandfairchild.co.uk/pr ... gkixdippa/

Maybe something to add to the recommended plugins list? It does not alter the sound in any way, all it does is change the volume up and down so it should be OK to use for OSC's.
Yep, definitely fine for OSC. Altering the volume in automated ways is just fine. Can use sidechain compression, too, if you'd prefer.

I've asked this before but never got an answer. I'm running out of room on my Soundcloud account. Can we delete old OSC tracks? Otherwise, I'm going to reach a point where I won't be able to do anymore.

I'd appreciate any info that anybody can give me on this.

Thanks.

Yes. Tracks are archived on a different site. Just keep tracks currently being voted on or currently submitted

z.prime wrote:Yes. Tracks are archived on a different site. Just keep tracks currently being voted on or currently submitted
Thanks Z. Getting rid of that first one won't be any problem at all. (Ugh)

But wait until you hear OSC 76 (next month). Hours of Groove 3 videos, tons of reading and a new attitude has turned me into a different person. I will never record music the way I used to ever again.

When my "practice" track is done, I'll let you hear it. I think you'll find a HUGE difference thanks to the guys at Sound Production. Going there was probably one of the best things I ever did for my skills.

Cannot WAIT until June.

wagtunes wrote:Hours of Groove 3 videos, tons of reading and a new attitude has turned me into a different person. I will never record music the way I used to ever again. ... Cannot WAIT until June.
That's great to hear! I'm certainly not one to have the a-typical can-do attitude, but definitely think if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish most things you set out to. It might take more work for one person than another, but still is within reach. Anyway, looking forward to it, though you could always just make some tracks for feedback outside the OSC.

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Hours of Groove 3 videos, tons of reading and a new attitude has turned me into a different person. I will never record music the way I used to ever again. ... Cannot WAIT until June.
That's great to hear! I'm certainly not one to have the a-typical can-do attitude, but definitely think if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish most things you set out to. It might take more work for one person than another, but still is within reach. Anyway, looking forward to it, though you could always just make some tracks for feedback outside the OSC.
Well, I don't want to impose on anyone's time. There are only so many hours in the day and listening to one of my tracks is not going to be at the top of anybody's priority list.

Anything new that I do will go up on Soundcloud. If I get a few listens and some feedback, great. But I have no expectations.

Besides, if the stuff's good enough, word will get around.

wagtunes wrote:I've asked this before but never got an answer. I'm running out of room on my Soundcloud account. Can we delete old OSC tracks? Otherwise, I'm going to reach a point where I won't be able to do anymore.

Thanks.
Why not go Pro on Soundcloud? It's quite cheap and you get to edit and replace your tracks as many times as you like.

http://xsrdo.net16.net

Another freebie that seems nice. Unfortunately Synth edit so no Mac or 64bit :(

Reefius wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I've asked this before but never got an answer. I'm running out of room on my Soundcloud account. Can we delete old OSC tracks? Otherwise, I'm going to reach a point where I won't be able to do anymore.

Thanks.
Why not go Pro on Soundcloud? It's quite cheap and you get to edit and replace your tracks as many times as you like.
Pro only gives you 6 hours and I'm already pushing 3. With all the sound pack demos I'll be doing, I'll hit 6 hours before you know it. I know eventually I'm going to have to go to their top plan (unlimited time) but I'm trying to put it off as long as I can by deleting things I don't need.

When money is tight, you do what you have to do.

bjporter wrote:Should we allow commercial plugins or not?
Pros to allowing commercial plugins: ...
Just read this and here are my 0.002 : Very far from the original spirit of the contest imho.
* Mixing considerations as 'supporting indie developers' (I saw part of the synths in the OSC were not from small developers btw ) with 'adding commercial effects from companies doing this from a promo POV' might be a bit more than confusing.
* I know a lot of FX that would transform drastically any synth into something that has nothing to do with the original synthesizer sound ( From Artillery to The Drop or Ramses )
* It would give a definitive advantage to *rich people* wo have plethora of plugs VS *less rich people*. Is that fair ?
* Anyone could build a track that has, imho, very few, to nothing, to do with the original challenge : The particular sound and possibilities of a particular synthesizer
* And finally, making rules evolve so much would even make it difficult to make comparisons with a synth used in an -already- vintage early OSC challenge, and a newer one.
While I can perfectly understand people who want to use all their arsenal to make more sophisticated/better(??) tracks, this would be no more -imho- an OSC Challenge, but more like a trackwriter/producer competition, which is quite different.The same for Sample addition.
Competitons have an history, a spirit, and changing this spirit too much, and adding numerous rules/subrules etc can make it more attractive for some, and less for others. Or maybe it should be time to rename the contest as 'track writing/producing contest' ? Just an external pov though, as I never took part in this challenge, so take all this with a saucerfull of salt.
Please forgive my intrusion in this thread. :oops:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Question: Is using tools like Nora, Kirnu Cream or Sundog Scale Studio allowed, or is it considered cheating? One can easily record the output of these tools into a new midi track and then remove the tool, so nobody will ever know it was used...

I own all 3 of these tools (I know, GAS :lol:), but I just want to play it by the rules.

Return to “Instruments”