One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bjporter wrote:Any last minute synths that you guys wanna do?
I think Sonigen Modular totally deserves a second OSC.
Or maybe Kx-Modulad, KX-Polymod or KX-PolyM-CSE.

bjporter wrote:Any last minute synths that you guys wanna do?
Sonigen modular?

Minimogue va?

Firebird?

Am wavetable synth?

Nightlife?

Poly iblit

Evol

Monofury

It would be great if it is PC and Mac compatible.

<TROLL>let's do a Mac only </TROLL>
:D

Digits again? Was already in OSC#67.

Chris-S wrote:Digits again? Was already in OSC#67.
Digits 2. It's had some feature overhaul... but overall still much the same synth, for better or worse.

What do you guys think about a one sample challenge one month in Paralell to OSC?

You get a short minimal sample, for example: a 1 second long sound of a guitar chord with a bit of crackling or the sound of a car starting. Everything audible in the track sould be made from this sample using DAW and free FX. Just chop it up, pitch envelope, granulize it or w/e etc.etc.

Meakaale wrote:What do you guys think about a one sample challenge one month in Paralell to OSC?

You get a short minimal sample, for example: a 1 second long sound of a guitar chord with a bit of crackling or the sound of a car starting. Everything audible in the track sould be made from this sample using DAW and free FX. Just chop it up, pitch envelope, granulize it or w/e etc.etc.
That is a clever idea. I'm thinking, though, that it is probably easy to mangle an alternative, unauthorized sample and do it in such a way that it is indiscernible from a mangling of the original authorized sample. It would be difficult to confirm if all contestants were actually adhering to the rules of the challenge, so the honor system would have to be employed, as it would be impractical to audit everybody's entry. :shrug:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Meakaale wrote:What do you guys think about a one sample challenge one month in Paralell to OSC?

Such a contest is/was very popular among trackers, its called One Sample Compo (OSC too)
There are also One Hour Compo (OHC) running every week.

I couldn't find a page with more info, but searching a bit you will probably find something.

J.Ruegg wrote:There are also One Hour Compo (OHC) running every week.
I tip my hat to those gifted/talented individuals who can compose and mix a quality recording in just under an hour. I am guessing that such individuals have reached a level of mastery with their chosen tools and techniques such that they can focus the majority of their time on just being creative. :hail:

*SIGH* Must be nice to be able to work that way.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

My vote is for Atlantis, as ever. We keep repeating synths like there aren't a ton of other great, free softsynths out there deserving a month of OSC...
The modulation is better than anywhere else I've seen; you just select the source to the right of any parameter and right-drag to set the range. The modulations are visually animated on the waveforms so you can see just where the cycles are.

You can load your own waveforms!

It has separate randomization buttons (with undo) for oscillators, filters, delay and modulation!

Yes, it's windows only and 32-bit. You Mac people can look at it as a good opportunity to try out Reaper in WINE, if you feel left out. The envelopes are unusual, but if you look at the manual and learn what the modifier keys (ctrl, alt, shift) do, it's very manageable.

Also, maybe it could prompt the dev to finally update this awesome plugin...

Default skin is terrible, here are some nice ones: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=253466

I'm still in love with this one made by ENV1 (real size 1280x760) :

found here : http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/09 ... antis-skin

Wow, that screenshot has been compressed to death. :D

Heres the original, at full sharpness:

click for fullsize

+1 for EVOL.. maybe yet another old (2005) 32-bit synth, but listen to the awesome demo from the dev (obviously drums are not from the synth, but everything else is): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7CU7aYjcUo
Barring that, what about Foorius? http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... ius&id=263
Also old 32-bit, but like EVOL, never been done.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Return to “Instruments”