One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a suggestion for a future OSC:

How about an OSC using ONLY plugins from the KVR Developer challenge 2016.
Looks like a few synths in there along with both midi and audio effects, and on several platforms.

Could be interesting...

I am also a Logic user and enjoy the built in plugins, which have kept improving. There is a reason why there is a marketplace for third party software plugins, they are generally better in some way -- interface, features, sound quality. I know there are really good freebies out there -- I've used some, but I prefer my favorite paid versions, they're faster for me and I like how they sound.

I've entered quite a few OSC's over the last few years and really enjoy the sound design and composing. I find that being forced to mix with a limited tool set is frustrating and not fun so was part of the group that requested this. I was not the only one. We can always go back.

Perhaps you should enter -- after five years you probably have some good ideas saved up!

This month is an experiment. If it doesn't work, we'll go back. I didn't mean for my vocabulary choices to offend or confuse you. Sorry.

What's the feeling about the fact that allowing commercial plugins might make it difficult for anybody to audit a track if that is ever deemed necessary? Is that a concern or a non-issue do you think?

I think that is a concern, but bjporter wants to buy every plugin in existance anyway, so its the perfect excuse ;)

I believe this is a trial run and if it becomes a serious problem then its right back to only freeware.

ssj71 wrote:I think that is a concern, but bjporter wants to buy every plugin in existance anyway, so its the perfect excuse ;)

I believe this is a trial run and if it becomes a serious problem then its right back to only freeware.
I think the idea of using commercial plugins is a good one, and that it should be done more often.
However, I would not like to see that becoming the default because I think it might put off new entrants. People who are fairly new to this and have not built a collection of commercial plugins could feel intimidated.

But I would support that commercial plugins be allowed a few times a year.

I think that would make the most of it for everybody.

AlienXXX wrote:
ssj71 wrote:I think that is a concern, but bjporter wants to buy every plugin in existance anyway, so its the perfect excuse ;)

I think the idea of using commercial plugins is a good one, and that it should be done more often.
However, I would not like to see that becoming the default because I think it might put off new entrants. People who are fairly new to this and have not built a collection of commercial plugins could feel intimidated.

But I would support that commercial plugins be allowed a few times a year.

I think that would make the most of it for everybody.
That could be a good compromise

Maybe allow paid FX once per quarter, so 4 times a year out of the 12 competitions.

So since we basically just did one for December, we could run them like this...

March, June, September, December

wagtunes wrote:So since we basically just did one for December, we could run them like this...

That's an excellent idea. :clap:

rghvdberg wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So since we basically just did one for December, we could run them like this...

That's an excellent idea. :clap:
Thanks Rob. Every once in a while I have them.

Cherish those moments ;)

Happy New Year :)

How about Lord Of The Springs for next OSC?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

And some more ideas:

NI Blocks Wired
Micro Prism
Zampler RX (and only one soundset?)

.jon wrote:And some more ideas:

NI Blocks Wired
Micro Prism
Zampler RX (and only one soundset?)
I looked these up and here's my take:
NI Blocks wired: Requires reaktor. This may make it too exclusive
Micro Prism: Too simplistic. Seems like a preset player
Zampler RX: This looks like a sampler.