Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
aciddose
KVRAF

11315 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

wagtunes wrote:Go on. Let's have an OSC with no FX at all. Just dry synth sounds. Can't even use the built in synth FX if they have any. And let's see how good the tracks sound.

Trust me, not very.

Yes but that misses the point that I was making in my post[s]. The winner would still be a winner and the losers would still be losers; if you are forced to look at it that way. I don't believe that effects would significantly change the rank of any entrant although it's certainly possible they might move slightly. For example the 2nd or 3rd place track could potentially make 1st by production value alone - justifiably so in my opinion - I just don't see that as being very significant though.

"Soundcloud collapsing" is something that was obvious from the beginning. It's more amazing that they've managed to find sources of investment allowing them to open international offices in a silly "dot-com boom" style out of the rubble of previous collapses. People have a very short memory of about three years to a decade at best. Humans just aren't good long-term planners because the value of a reward or the fear of consequences decreases rapidly as the distance in time increases.

"Are you sure running this investment scam is a good idea? I mean eventually; ten or twenty years down the road you're definitely going to get caught." - "Sure but not this year, not next year and five years from now you can ask me about it again on my yacht."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

Hopefully they can continue to provide the free service that they do; just that it hasn't exactly been unfathomable to assume they'd eventually disappear or stop providing those services given the fact they have no practical revenue streams associated with them.
http://xhip.net/synth/ Xhip Synthesizer v8 released 21 May 2017
wagtunes
KVRAF

8404 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:35 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

aciddose wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Go on. Let's have an OSC with no FX at all. Just dry synth sounds. Can't even use the built in synth FX if they have any. And let's see how good the tracks sound.

Trust me, not very.

Yes but that misses the point that I was making in my post[s]. The winner would still be a winner and the losers would still be losers; if you are forced to look at it that way. I don't believe that effects would significantly change the rank of any entrant although it's certainly possible they might move slightly. For example the 2nd or 3rd place track could potentially make 1st by production value alone - justifiably so in my opinion - I just don't see that as being very significant though.

"Soundcloud collapsing" is something that was obvious from the beginning. It's more amazing that they've managed to find sources of investment allowing them to open international offices in a silly "dot-com boom" style out of the rubble of previous collapses. People have a very short memory of about three years to a decade at best. Humans just aren't good long-term planners because the value of a reward or the fear of consequences decreases rapidly as the distance in time increases.

"Are you sure running this investment scam is a good idea? I mean eventually; ten or twenty years down the road you're definitely going to get caught." - "Sure but not this year, not next year and five years from now you can ask me about it again on my yacht."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

Hopefully they can continue to provide the free service that they do; just that it hasn't exactly been unfathomable to assume they'd eventually disappear or stop providing those services given the fact they have no practical revenue streams associated with them.

Depends on what you mean by significant. Will judges get as much enjoyment listening to dry tracks as they would tracks fully produced? I know I wouldn't. I couldn't even imagine trying to get through listening to 50 tracks with no FX. I'd lose my mind from boredom before I got half way through.

And an average song with a killer production will beat a great song with no production. It happens in the OSC all the time.

Presentation matters. If it didn't, this wouldn't be a One "Synth" Challenge but a One "Song" Challenge and we'd be grading people on the quality of the song such as structure, melody, harmony, etc. But we don't do that. We judge on glitz. Go look at the top tracks every month and tell me honestly that they're great "music" as in composition. What they are is great productions.

Well without FX, those productions would suffer greatly.

In short, you're placing too much value on the quality of the composition. The proof is there month after month.
aciddose
KVRAF

11315 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Yes that was my point. It makes sense for it to be voluntary if the authors want to avoid using effects they can do so. Flexibility is better than enforcing such a restrictive rule.
http://xhip.net/synth/ Xhip Synthesizer v8 released 21 May 2017
RichardSemper
KVRist

382 posts since 30 Oct, 2013, from Stoke On Trent

Postby RichardSemper; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Recently, on a trip to Liverpool, I saw a musician in the street with a load of pots and pans, hitting and scraping them to great effect. He was awesome, and drew the crowds easily.
Just saying...
http://www.richardsemper.com/
When was the Last Time you did something for the First Time.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

aciddose wrote:Yes that was my point. It makes sense for it to be voluntary if the authors want to avoid using effects they can do so. Flexibility is better than enforcing such a restrictive rule.

Well that's what we have now. There's nothing forcing anybody to use FX. They can or they can avoid them. But there are people here who want to restrict the use of FX. IMO, that's suicide for the OSC. Musicians will be frustrated by the limitations and judges will be bored with the entries.

Leave things the way they are and stop trying to fix what isn't broken.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

RichardSemper wrote:Recently, on a trip to Liverpool, I saw a musician in the street with a load of pots and pans, hitting and scraping them to great effect. He was awesome, and drew the crowds easily.
Just saying...

Novelty. Plus, there's the visual aspect. If a guy was sitting on a street corner with a monkey and the monkey was banging on a drum with a broom stick, trust me, people would gather round to watch.

It's why people love going to concerts, even though most of the songs don't sound anywhere near as good as the studio recording. The visual of the band, the excitement of the crowd, the on stage FX. It all adds to what is, most times, a sub par performance compared to the studio recording.

Exceptions? Sure, there are always exceptions. But it's why I don't even care about going to concerts anymore. Most of the time, all that extra stuff isn't enough to make up for the poor sound, mix wise, and less than stellar performance.
generaldiomedes
KVRist

130 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:58 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

RichardSemper wrote:Recently, on a trip to Liverpool, I saw a musician in the street with a load of pots and pans, hitting and scraping them to great effect. He was awesome, and drew the crowds easily.
Just saying...

So he used plenty of natural reverb .. just sayin
574X
KVRist

138 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I'm going to bang and scrape some pots together for this OSC and see if anyone notices. I'll probably do better than last time.

SC does appear to run their company backwards, trying to extract money from people without it, while giving money to those with massive marketing engines. We'll see how long it survives. Maybe they are short staffed in all the most difficult ways.

Places like youtube get it, much more so. Transitioning directly to YouTube and YouTube playlists seems easy and much better for success oriented artists (this has been the case for a while) - The issue here is that OSC may get an excessive amount of attention. I like the average size of the group as it is, given the detailed voting system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIeRTiwHo1w
rghvdberg
KVRian

636 posts since 11 Mar, 2014, from Netherlands

Postby rghvdberg; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

youtube has come to my mind too but there's an extra step involved in creating a vid
it's not as easy as just dropping your wav/mp3 in a soundcloud webpage

btw clyp.it looks nice too
https://clyp.it/
rghvdberg
KVRian

Postby rghvdberg; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

oh btw, almost ready to publish osc 98 and 99 to spotify ... but the service I use is under maintenance atm and I still need approval/files from some involved

been very busy lately .. sorry for the long wait :-)
574X
KVRist

138 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

We upload the audio and cover art separately on SC, just like you could drag and drop them into any free video editor and render a vid. Ofc, Reaper users could just drag the artwork right in and render the video directly.

Many people here are already video makers and it would foster extra creativity and personal success. Then there would be the scandalous nature of those who did better and had elaborate video productions! *Gasp* The horror!

I remember when Guenon made an incredible, synchronized video out of classic clips, and there are other examples of people just screen capturing their tracks as they played (I recommend camstudio (be cautious of the installer) or OBS).

Plus, with all the excellent open source animation software (OpenToonz, Blender, Tupi, Synfig) it would be easy to encourage basic looping animations. You could make a spinning record easily, an animated logo, or if you're an artist, some dancing people, and tempo sync it. Like many successful YouTube channels, you could also use or make a visualizer, (or, dare I say it, even use....... Pretty Scope. Buy it today!)
rghvdberg
KVRian

Postby rghvdberg; Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Nope, happened more than once I submitted juuuuuuust before deadline.
No time to make a vid.
Don't wanna make a vid.

Just use clyp.it, much easier. No extra steps

Also I foresee trolling and spam on youtube.
generaldiomedes
KVRist

130 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

SoundCloud has plenty of annual revenue ($20 million or so) just that their expenses were unfortunately much higher. I believe it can be turned around with a more disciplined approach but the current CEO doesn't seem like the right guy.
rghvdberg
KVRian

Postby rghvdberg; Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

oh that was easy
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i cover.jpg -i song.mp3 -acodec copy osc.avi
rghvdberg
KVRian

Postby rghvdberg; Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

oh .. I could add an export command in ardour to do that in one go
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments