Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
photonic
KVRian

527 posts since 5 Mar, 2011, from Austria

Postby photonic; Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

On the german website Amazona is a ranking of the top 50 freeware synths (or at least what they mean are the top 50). It is all in german, but you see the screenshot and a link to the websites for download.
There are a lot of synths we never had in the OSC. On a lot of them I never notived before. Maybe some for coming months?

Look at: https://www.amazona.de/top-50-freeware- ... izer-2017/
soundcloud.com/photonic-1
Frostline
KVRist

162 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I browsed the link, thank you for providing it.
Very cool to see Taron's initial offering make the top 50. :tu:
Looks like Full Bucket is well represented too, which is nice. :phones:

It seems like the majority are windows only, which is somewhat of an issue lately. Or they are a rompler of some type. I feel bad for those who like to participate but are on an AU only DAW. :(

There have been a few repeat synths used in the past. Personally I don't have an issue with that, but that is probably because I have not been participating long enough to experience the synths the first time through. I know there have been a couple during my time here that I would not wish to revisit. :hyper:

I liked the look of many of the list that were both VSTi/AU but all have been used before for OSC. Maybe a couple of those that have not been used in a couple of years could be tried again like Crystal or Kairatune. Or there was daHornet which I didn't notice in the previous OSC list. Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of those synths, just saw they are win/mac and have not been used in quite some time, if ever. Might be they are terrible, I have no idea. But they were on that top 50 list so figure they must be halfway decent anyway. :shrug:
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
generaldiomedes
KVRist

180 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:13 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I think a lot more of them are 64-bit than the article is saying
mehum
KVRist

406 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Just noticed Fathom on the front page of Instruments and there's a free version that's monophonic. Tried it out for ten minutes and it certainly has potential and would be interesting for an OSC.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/
Local Man
KVRist

92 posts since 30 May, 2017

Postby Local Man; Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Frostline wrote:It seems like the majority are windows only, which is somewhat of an issue lately. Or they are a rompler of some type. I feel bad for those who like to participate but are on an AU only DAW. :(

Speaking of which, may I suggest the Full Bucket Music FB-3100 for the next (or some future) OSC since it is now available for mac! :pray: I just started participating in this contest recently and so far the only mac compatible synths have been Spiral Generator and Noisetar. Very fun and cool synths but gruelling for this kind of work (I am all for a good challenge but something a bit more traditional would be fun for a change). Some good old fashioned oscillators and filters would be so refreshing at this point! :)
Darksynth FX
KVRist

106 posts since 14 May, 2016, from Vienna

Postby Darksynth FX; Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I would love have a challenge with one of the new synths from https://www.fullbucket.de/music/vst.html any time soon!
Female dark synth producer.
https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx
eraze the borders
KVRist

102 posts since 4 Apr, 2012, from Berlin, Germany

Postby eraze the borders; Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I just saw that Dmitry Sches has released a new synth - Thorn. It looks and sounds great. I know it's not freeware, but since Dmitry is a longtime sponsor of the OSC, maybe we could have a special round with this one? :pray:

http://dmitrysches.com/products/thorn
Failure is success in progress.
Hanz Meyzer
KVRian

607 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Postby Hanz Meyzer; Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:51 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Hi,

I would like to suggest Sunvox as next synth. It is a freeware modular monster synth and also a tracker, for Mac/Win/Linux. The synthesis' capabilities are mind-blowing, it even supports crazy stuff like feedback routing. Should be super fun to use that.

Please check http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJh6yiKPqE4 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoNwJ2 ... J2swKU&t=7

zarf
KVRist

242 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Hi OSCers

Couple quick rule confirmations please:
1) OK to use free Max4Live devices?
2) If using Reason, I presume the same rules apply to Rack Extensions - OK only if they are free?

I've not seen any discussion of M4L or REs in OSC threads, so apologies if this has been stated before.

Thanks!
bjporter
KVRAF

2535 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

zarf wrote:Hi OSCers

Couple quick rule confirmations please:
1) OK to use free Max4Live devices?
2) If using Reason, I presume the same rules apply to Rack Extensions - OK only if they are free?

I've not seen any discussion of M4L or REs in OSC threads, so apologies if this has been stated before.

Thanks!

1) As long as you're following the rules its fine (max 4 live comes with Ableton Studio too). So no samples, other synths, pitching, chorus, etc etcc
2) It appears rack extensions do not come with Reason, so I don't think it is legit.

Hope that helps :tu:
zarf
KVRist

242 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:33 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

bjporter wrote:
1) As long as you're following the rules its fine (max 4 live comes with Ableton Studio too). So no samples, other synths, pitching, chorus, etc etcc
2) It appears rack extensions do not come with Reason, so I don't think it is legit.

Hope that helps :tu:

It does, thanks for getting back BJ.
In case of Rack Extensions - I'm talking about the ones that all owners of reason can download for free. It's just like VSTs really, with some free stuff and then a range of paid stuff.
Anyway the principle is clear and thanks for confirming :tu:
Arcadia
KVRer

14 posts since 17 Jul, 2009, from Dinslaken, Germany

Postby Arcadia; Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I have a question or suggestion (for discussion or to change the procedure) regarding the disqualification of a participant.

Now that the voting for OSC #104 has just ended and I have participated for the first time, I wonder whether it is not possible - or even meaningful - that a possible disqualification should be made public. Certainly BJ will always inform the person concerned by PM why he or she has been disqualified. But I could also imagine that it might be of interest for all the other participants to find out why someone was disqualified. For those in the OSC #104, who were disqualified, I noticed that I for myself couldn't understand it. Also and especially because the comments at Soundcloud didn't give any indication of this.

It is clear that one can be disqualified either because of a violation of the rules for the composition of his piece or because of the use of illegal effects etc. - on the one hand. On the other hand, disqualification can also be due to the absence of a vote. I would now consider the latter to be rather uninteresting. Therefore I would be interested to know what the reason for the disqualification is.

How does the general public see this?
If you don't fail - you didn't even try
bjporter
KVRAF

Postby bjporter; Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Lack of voting in this case. Sometimes people skip or are unable to vote.

Arcadia wrote:I have a question or suggestion (for discussion or to change the procedure) regarding the disqualification of a participant.

Now that the voting for OSC #104 has just ended and I have participated for the first time, I wonder whether it is not possible - or even meaningful - that a possible disqualification should be made public. Certainly BJ will always inform the person concerned by PM why he or she has been disqualified. But I could also imagine that it might be of interest for all the other participants to find out why someone was disqualified. For those in the OSC #104, who were disqualified, I noticed that I for myself couldn't understand it. Also and especially because the comments at Soundcloud didn't give any indication of this.

It is clear that one can be disqualified either because of a violation of the rules for the composition of his piece or because of the use of illegal effects etc. - on the one hand. On the other hand, disqualification can also be due to the absence of a vote. I would now consider the latter to be rather uninteresting. Therefore I would be interested to know what the reason for the disqualification is.

How does the general public see this?
MTLE
KVRist

197 posts since 31 Jul, 2014, from Central Europe

Postby MTLE; Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:32 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

Some days ago, KVR announced YoozBL303 ( https://yoozmusic.com/yooz-bl-303/ ) has been changed to free. :o
Would be challenging!
:D :D :D
bjporter
KVRAF

Postby bjporter; Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

I hope there's a good manual

MTLE wrote:Some days ago, KVR announced YoozBL303 ( https://yoozmusic.com/yooz-bl-303/ ) has been changed to free. :o
Would be challenging!
:D :D :D
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments