One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only if the developer provides a time limited activation for everyone. That definitely happens for new synths from time to time.

As for discontinued VSTs, those are likely 32-bit so again leaving out a lot of folks. I’m ok with repeating synths .. one doesn’t have to learn a new synth every month. I think participation should be the main goal.

L-EctroBit wrote:Checking the list of synths used in previous OSCs, there is one that I think deserve a new challenge. Crystal by Green Oak (OSC 5, May 2009; only eight people participated in that time).

Is Windows and Mac compatible and there are many presets available for Crystal in case someone needs them. Although oldie, it is considered one of the best free VSTi of all times.

Personally, I think it would be a fun month :tu:
I forgot to say that Crystal is also 32/64 bit (last update was 2016 according to KVR's product info). :wink:

How about another Full Bucket synth? I think Stigma could work, or Deputy. Both are kinda limited, but it’ll be fun to see what people can do with limitations.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote:How about another Full Bucket synth? I think Stigma could work, or Deputy. Both are kinda limited, but it’ll be fun to see what people can do with limitations.
Don't think that Deputy is kinda limited. It has much more resources than thought at first sight.
:wink:

For Stigma, yes, I agree, the Korg Sigma was a rudimentary (but very nice) "preset synth" so of course very limited and therefore Stigma too.

But Deputy has much more resources than one could think at first sight.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Reaktor Blocks Wired is free with the Reaktor player, sounds great and might satisfy that modular itch. Could pick one of the included ensembles, or allow all three in combination. Would result in some great tunes, I am sure.

BlackWinny wrote:
Music Bird wrote:How about another Full Bucket synth? I think Stigma could work, or Deputy. Both are kinda limited, but it’ll be fun to see what people can do with limitations.
Don't think that Deputy is kinda limited. It has much more resources than thought at first sight.
:wink:

For Stigma, yes, I agree, the Korg Sigma was a rudimentary (but very nice) "preset synth" so of course very limited and therefore Stigma too.

But Deputy has much more resources than one could think at first sight.
:D
You’re right. I think I’ve heard some nice bass sounds out of Deputy.
Some more suggestions
TAL-Elek7ro (some people could do some nice house and techno tracks with this)
Another SQ8L, Dexed, or PG8X challenge.
One of the Samsara synths
ST 2008
FM4
Another GTG synth
FB-3200 or 3300
An Elektrostudio synth
Model Pro
Minimogue VA again
Another TyrellN6 one
Something by DSK.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

My observation...

If the synth is under development, it is most preferred one for the OSC because it gives so many beta testers who can really squeeze the synth to get most out of it.

Also, its availability in most platforms is considered becore choosing.

Mostly no to synthedit/synthmaker stuff.

I do not see any new freeware synths recently released/updated, which matches these requirements...

But still.. an open source, simple synth:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/mika-m ... -tesselode

Or.. old is gold. :)

There is also :

VCV Rack (with or without Sonus Modular)

Cognitone Sprike (fork of Tunefish 4 used for the OSC89)

Syntonica Seismic

synthANDware Wave (which was competitor in the DC16)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Seismic is a beast and definitely not yass (yet another subtractive synth)...

Another shameless plug once more in this thread for the Songwriting Competition over on Mix Challenge

The theme of the game (SWC12) is "Summer Bands and Jam Sessions" and the desired genre is "free to select".

There is no limit to what tools you use, joining is absolutely free, you will get feedback to your production (a mandatory rule for the voting process). Bonus: free licenses for the winners podium.

Would love to see you folks over there as well. :tu:

More on: https://www.mix-challenge.com
Deadline: 24th August 2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

PS:
Once more a big thank you to all OSC participants that helped the Mix Challenge throughout the year as either participant or song provider. This is more than appreciated and your visit is always a welcome sight. :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Another Voyager round would be fun.

Maybe it's a fun idea to see if there's any synths submitted in this years' developer challenge that're worth using? Or what about a "KVR dev challenge plugins only" OSC? :D Might even help the entries on polishing.

Hi everybody,

though I never managed to take part in an OSC myself, I always enjoyed listening to the results and am constantly amazed by the creativity it spurs. At our local open source audio meeting group we looked at different free FM synths recently and decided to take inspiration from the OSC and create an "FM synths only" challenge, but with an open source twist. Thus, after quite some days of procrastination and some days of actual preparation, I'd like to present to you:

The Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge

I hope this will be of interest to some OSC regulars. Unfortunately we can't offer any prices (yet?) (and having licenses for proprietary software as prices like the OSC would rather defeat the free software spirit we're going for :wink:), but if you enjoy a challenge and contributing to the free culture, we'd love to see you take part in the competition!

The full details of the challenge can be read on the website linked above. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me (email on said website).

Thanks for your attention, Christopher Arndt (Open Source Audio Meeting Cologne)

EscapeControl wrote:Maybe it's a fun idea to see if there's any synths submitted in this years' developer challenge that're worth using? Or what about a "KVR dev challenge plugins only" OSC? :D Might even help the entries on polishing.
Syncla-X and Full Bucket MPS would both be candidates...
October and November covered...; - )

strogon14 wrote:The Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge

I hope this will be of interest to some OSC regulars. Unfortunately we can't offer any prices (yet?) (and having licenses for proprietary software as prices like the OSC would rather defeat the free software spirit we're going for :wink:), but if you enjoy a challenge and contributing to the free culture, we'd love to see you take part in the competition!
This looks nice. :tu: I hope to get some time to join.

Return to “Instruments”