One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm gonna do the FM challenge too.
Btw, rules are slightly less strict then regular osc.

Hey, the newer OSCs don't seem to be listed on the website in points order. I see they're on soundcloud but they're not in winning order. I sometimes like to listen to the tracks but looking up the winners in their threads in a bit of a pain. Is there a ranked playlist anywhere? thanks

I was thinking about it, I think the reason for the low Crystal participation was simply end of summer vacation time for a lot of us. You have to focus when you get back from vacay so it kind of kills your free time that month.

@strogan14, I added a link to your competition under the 2 latest OSC threads. It looks like a really great challenge :tu:

Quick Announcement:
Long time OSC member Richard Semper is now an OSC organizer. He'll be able to help with questions, official rules issues, concerns, etc on the forum. Reach out to him or me for anything OSC related. Richard is really helpful and a super cool dude. He'll keep a watchful eye on the forum. Welcome Richard :party: :party: :party:

bjporter wrote:@strogan14, I added a link to your competition under the 2 latest OSC threads. It looks like a really great challenge :tu:
Thank you. The competition starts today! :party:

bjporter wrote:
Quick Announcement:
Long time OSC member Richard Semper is now an OSC organizer. He'll be able to help with questions, official rules issues, concerns, etc on the forum. Reach out to him or me for anything OSC related. Richard is really helpful and a super cool dude. He'll keep a watchful eye on the forum. Welcome Richard :party: :party: :party:
:party: :clap: :clap: :clap: :party:

J.Ruegg wrote:
bjporter wrote:
Quick Announcement:
:party: :clap: :clap: :clap: :party:
+1 :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bjporter wrote: Quick Announcement:
If anyone has OSC related issues or queries, feel free to send me a pm, I will do my best to help :tu:

rghvdberg wrote:I'm gonna do the FM challenge too.
Well, actually rules are more restrictive then those in OSC since you can not use freeware, only open source effects. And actually those are almost non existent :D . I have to stick with DAW stuff but what I will miss is QUO and awesome OrilRiver reverb.
RichardSemper wrote:Thanks :hug: Anything I can do to help.
If anyone has OSC related issues or queries, feel free to send me a pm, I will do my best to help :tu:
Maybe you can help with nice tune for OSC again. :tu: You track in #72 with my Eclipsis was cool. :oops:

TrojakEW wrote:Maybe you can help with nice tune for OSC again. :tu: You track in #72 with my Eclipsis was cool. :oops:
Now that is a unique and inspiring synth :tu:
Also was one of those rare times when the track was complete before i expected. I remember listening to it as a WIP, and realising: thats it! its done! Normally I end up tweaking right to the last minute.
The only pity is the synth is only 32bit, which seems to put a lot of people off these days. :neutral:

Maybe next time i get time to enter i could work this into the production somewhere -
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/stratu ... ne/details
looks interesting!

For the next 2 rounds I suggest the two cross platform entries to the developer challenge. MPS seems more stable so that could be for October. I hope SynclaX will sort out remaining issues. Though it runs fine on my Mac now...

TrojakEW wrote:
Well, actually rules are more restrictive then those in OSC since you can not use freeware, only open source effects.
Actually, yes and no. Only Open Source (but see exception in rule 10), but for Open Source Plugins, there's no restriction on the type of plug-in, except that they must not produce audio output independently of their audio input.
TrojakEW wrote:And actually those are almost non existent :D .
That may seem so, if you're on Windows or OS X. But on Linux there's plenty of plug-ins. Many of them are in LV2 format, so they might not be readily usable on proprietary DAWs. Though many work well with Carla, which is a plug-in host, you can load as a VST plug-in itself (a plug-in bridge, if you will). And many Open Source plug-ins are actually platform independent, it just might be harder to get a binary for Windows / OS X.

strogon14 wrote:
TrojakEW wrote:
Well, actually rules are more restrictive then those in OSC since you can not use freeware, only open source effects.
Actually, yes and no. Only Open Source (but see exception in rule 10), but for Open Source Plugins, there's no restriction on the type of plug-in, except that they must not produce audio output independently of their audio input.
TrojakEW wrote:And actually those are almost non existent :D .
That may seem so, if you're on Windows or OS X. But on Linux there's plenty of plug-ins. Many of them are in LV2 format, so they might not be readily usable on proprietary DAWs. Though many work well with Carla, which is a plug-in host, you can load as a VST plug-in itself (a plug-in bridge, if you will). And many Open Source plug-ins are actually platform independent, it just might be harder to get a binary for Windows / OS X.
I was speaking in general that rules are more restrictive then in OSC. Thanks god we don't have to use open source DAW :lol: . It is a matter of time. You have to invest time to learn how to operate "properly" new stuff, so time you have to make a track is ...short. There is no way to master any effect, synth not mention whole DAW in this short time. It is enough challenging to learn new synth itself. Spending time and searching open source effects doesn't help either. I have tried it and found almost nothing - well I'm not on linux. You may consider to include some links to open source effects to help users that want to participate.

Challenge is nice and compared to OSC #103 it is walk in the park. 103 was harderst round for me because of noise :lol: . For FM challenge I have choosed Dexed since I wans't here in OSC #74 when it was choosen. So it is time for me to check this thing for the first time.
RichardSemper wrote:Maybe next time i get time to enter i could work this into the production somewhere - https://www.kvraudio.com/product/stratu ... ne/details
looks interesting!
It is beta even it is v1. Doesn't have time to really finish it so do not expect any magic here :D

TrojakEW wrote:
RichardSemper wrote:Maybe next time i get time to enter i could work this into the production somewhere - https://www.kvraudio.com/product/stratu ... ne/details
looks interesting!
It is beta even it is v1. Doesn't have time to really finish it so do not expect any magic here :D
I bet better beta than you think :D Unfortunately would break OSC rules re: pitchshifting :shrug:

oops double post

Return to “Instruments”