One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know I'm super late with this (since there are less than 4 days left), and it's shameless self promotion on top of thread hijacking (apologies), but last month we had 7 participants (lots of new faces) and this month we're barely scratching 3 again. Even if you can't participate yourself, every spreading the word is helping just as much.

You're invited to the Songwriting Competition over on Mix Challenge

The theme of the game (SWC013) is "Dark Corners of the Mind" (spreading awareness about mental health issues) and the desired genre is "free to select".

There is no limit to what tools you use, joining is absolutely free, you will get feedback to your production (a mandatory rule for the voting process). Bonus: free licenses for the winners podium.

Would love to see you folks over there as well. :tu:

More on: https://www.mix-challenge.com
Deadline: 24th September 2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST (less than 4 days left)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

TrojakEW wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:I'm gonna do the FM challenge too.
Btw, rules are slightly less strict then regular osc.
Well, actually rules are more restrictive then those in OSC since you can not use freeware, only open source effects. And actually those are almost non existent :D . I have to stick with DAW stuff but what I will miss is QUO and awesome OrilRiver reverb.
yes, at first the rules weren't that clear on using proprietary plugins
they have been updated.
But you can use chorus, filters etc, so in that sense it's a bit more relaxed

Join the Dark Side (linux) and you'll have plenty of opensource plugins :hihi:
Last edited by rghvdberg on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surge is now opensource
Surge

This is the synthesizer plug-in Surge which I previously sold as a commercial product as the company vember audio. As I'm to busy with other projects and no longer want to put the effort into maintaining it myself across multiple platforms I have decided to give it new life as an open-source project.
http://vemberaudio.se/surge.php
https://github.com/kurasu/surge

Copy and paste from OSC#115 thread, because I think this is rather a general OSC question.

This question, whether the sampling feature of a synth should be allowed, has been around in many of the recent OSCs. And I can understand that people are annoyed of it to discuss it every time again. I think in the early days of OSC, the focus was mainly on synths that didn't have the capabilities to process samples. Most of them had a bunch of synthesized/builtin wave cycles and that's it.

I think we could really use a rule adaption to cope with this trend, that synthesizers have larger waveforms included / are capable of loading samples. Two suggestions:
  • All samples that are shipped with the plugin (either builtin or installed together with it) are allowed [EDIT: to be used within the synth, of course]. Single cycles can be customized as much as you want. No additional samples are allowed except for usage as single cycles.
  • All samples that are shipped with the plugin (either builtin or installed together with it) are allowed [EDIT: to be used within the synth, of course]. Single cycles can be customized, but only with the waveforms / samples that are shipped with the synth, and within the synth, of course. No external software must be used to create single cycles out of the included samples.
The first suggestion has the advantage that it allows what I and others have been doing in the past will still be allowed. We have used samples to create single cycles and have loaded them into e.g. Fathom, Zebralette, Thorn etc.
The second suggestion has the advantage that it is more "pure" in a sense that sounds are really synthesized with what the synth brings with it. Although some of my past actions will be illegal with this rule, I prefer it.

With the first suggestion you could load a sample as single cycle and play the note so low, that essentially the sample is played back. So that would not be in the spirit of OSC.

Any thoughts on that?

Ah, and of course the question would arise:
What if I download presets that were made by using samples?
And this is where things might get complicated :roll:

rghvdberg wrote:Join the Dark Side (linux) and you'll have plenty of opensource plugins :hihi:
To tell you the truth I would like to (I hate windows) but I'm heavy kontakt library and also FLStudio user and don't want to spend time how to run it properly. Not to mention my panner QUO that I'm really need. :lol:
Compyfox wrote:I know I'm super late with this (since there are less than 4 days left), and it's shameless self promotion on top of thread hijacking (apologies), but last month we had 7 participants (lots of new faces) and this month we're barely scratching 3 again. Even if you can't participate yourself, every spreading the word is helping just as much.
Hmm should I try to make ultra quick track? Can't promise anything.

I think the answer to the question of Synthesizers with samplizing/wavetable/granular/custom single-cycle waveforms is rather simple.

It has to be dome from within the synth itself. If you have to access anyfiles outside of those that are installed with the synth, then no, if you have to move files that aren't installed with the synth, into the synth files, then no.

If it it can't be done from within the GUI, using ONLY the synt's included files then it should be disallowed. Otherwise why not?

I mean especially with Seismic. There is a TON of sonic potential and unique things that come from the wacky stuff it does with its samples. Not using this part of the synth is ignoring a MAJOR feature of the synth. Sure it only has 10 samples included, but the amount of interesting sounds you can generate from those 10 samples is HUGE, all due to the way it handles those samples.

I really didn't "get" Seismic until I played around with the sample features. To me it's a big part of what makes this synth unique and (more importantly) useful.
Disco flangus shenanigans

i hope someone with skills compiles Surge

kone2006 wrote:i hope someone with skills compiles Surge
It's marked as beta, but here is one : https://github.com/kurasu/surge/releases :tu:

Oh!thanks for the link!

J.Ruegg wrote:
kone2006 wrote:i hope someone with skills compiles Surge
It's marked as beta, but here is one : https://github.com/kurasu/surge/releases :tu:
I hope someone with skills compiles Surge for OS X...

There is some discussion on the Linux audio user mailing list about getting Surge to build on Linux and make distribution packages for it. After that has happened, it's probably easy to derive a OS X build from that.

Surge would be great for OSC!

Once more a cross-promotion post in this thread for the Songwriting Competition over on Mix Challenge
This time sooner than usual. :phones:

The theme of the game (SWC014) is "Autumn Winds" and the desired genre is "free to select".

There is no limit to what tools you use, joining is absolutely free, you will get feedback to your production (a mandatory rule for the voting process). Bonus: free licenses for the winners podium.

I would love to see you folks over there as well, help us get beyond 10 participants per month.
A huge thank you in advance! :tu:

More on: https://www.mix-challenge.com
Deadline: 24th October 2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The Open Source Music FM Challenge submission form is up, folks!
EDIT: At least it has been for a couple of minutes.
EDIT2: Still up. all is well
Last edited by Carl_saved on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”