Reaper: key range or split?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

how can I modify the key splits or ranges for each indidivual VST
instrument in Reaper?

There's a plugin available for this task. When I remember correctly it's one of those JS plugins you'll find in Reaper's plugin folder. It has the prefix "midi ...". Unfortunately I don't remember its name, but when you look at it, you should recognize it. :)

I wrote a keyboard splitter a few years ago in JS for Reaper. You can check it out here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11192

I think 'JS: MIDI/midi-note_filter' is the plugin you need. Its included with Reaper.

The one from bmrzycki also looks interesting, of course.

I asked about this recently. No news, so I thought I'd have a google! glad I did 8)

Will check all mentioned here, and also wanted to mention the first I chanced upon - vger's
Keyboard Split using JS Deploy.RTrackTemplate by Vger
Track template to split the keyboard into zones in order to play different instruments on each. This is set to split in 2 at note no. 60 (C4), but you can set this as you like. Plugin used is Xackley's JS: MIDI_Keyboard_Deploy_v1.0, get it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=21222 (put in your effects folder, for XP this is: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\REAPER\Effects)
not sure how they all fare, tbf. Any insights? Please share!

I started googling vsts about a year ago, and now I actually finally have a fully fledged midi controller (+ rocksmith, and an insatiable thirst to Reap!!) Momentarily Loving the Information Age (in spite of all it's shortcomings)

Has it really been 8 years since I wrote that JS script? My goodness the time flies.
(And I'm still using Reaper!)

here's how I do it. You have three tracks: Low notes VSTi, High notes VSTi and the splitter. On the splitter track is the PIZ MidiKeySplit VST, which sends the low notes to midi channel 2 and the night notes to midi channel 3. I set my MIDI keyboard to send on channel one and the splitter track to receive MIDI input on 1.

The splitter then sends MIDI to the low notes, from channel 2 out to all channels in. The high notes send from channel 3 out to all channels in.

Set the low notes to input MIDI channel 2 and the high to input midi channel 3. Then set record:output(MIDI) for hi and lo.

For the splitter, set record:disable(input monitoring only). Now, record-arm all three tracks. When you record, Low notes, and only low notes, will record into your lo track, and only high notes will record into your hi track.

You can save these three tracks as a track template and use them quickly, whenever you want to split your keyboard. Just drop in the template and drag your low and high tracks under whatever VSTis you want to use, so that the VSTi track is a track folder and the high or low tracks are sub-tracks of the folder.

One thing that would be nice is if there was a VST midi splitter that learned/listened for the note you want to split. I know there's a JS note range filter that will listen for high and low, but I haven't found one where you push a button on the GUI, then hit your note, and now this is the note where the split happens. If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd like to know about it.

Return to “Instruments”