Granite OSX Public Beta - Open Invite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sandbags wrote:I had the same problem with the install, having to authorise myself to be able to access either the plugin in /Applications or the support folder.

I'm also having the problem, standalone, that if I double-click to load a new sample although the sample appears to load, and the UI isn't frozen (the hover help still works), the UI is non-functional. I can't click anything, and the instrument doesn't play. I can still double-click to load new samples but, nothing else, and it won't work from then on. I tried with a number of different samples.
I think this is probably fixed in PB5 (along with the Logic file dialog related issues). Unfortunately the installer problems are not yet resolved so there is no new installer yet.

However, if anyone wants to update manually, there is a zip with just the app and AU inside here...

www.newsonicarts.com/granite/downloads/GranitePB5.zip

This file doesnt include the factory lib, its just an update for the app and AU.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

I thought I'd try PB5 since it was my problem you were responding to.

Unfortunately, when I started it standalone, another app of mine (Pester) crashed immediately. Further Granite wasn't making any sound &, when I checked, I noticed that I suddenly had duplicate - invalid - copies of some of my audio devices.

Again, perhaps it's something related to my Mac, but I've never seen any of these problems other than when I've tried running Granite these last two days.

Regards,

Matt

sandbags wrote:I thought I'd try PB5 since it was my problem you were responding to.

Unfortunately, when I started it standalone, another app of mine (Pester) crashed immediately. Further Granite wasn't making any sound &, when I checked, I noticed that I suddenly had duplicate - invalid - copies of some of my audio devices.
Hi Matt

Thanks for trying again. Sounds like there is something going on with sharing the Core Audio drivers with other apps. I Would be very interested to hear if you see similar problems on your system when running the AU (ideally in Logic or Ableton). If you dont, then it will almost certainly be something to do with Granites CoreAudio implementation, and that would be a useful learning.

Any crashlogs would also be appreciated.

Thanks
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
sandbags wrote:I thought I'd try PB5 since it was my problem you were responding to.

Hi Matt

Thanks for trying again. Sounds like there is something going on with sharing the Core Audio drivers with other apps. I Would be very interested to hear if you see similar problems on your system when running the AU (ideally in Logic or Ableton). If you dont, then it will almost certainly be something to do with Granites CoreAudio implementation, and that would be a useful learning.

Any crashlogs would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi James.

I'm happy to help you try and nail this down. In my limited test with PB4 in Live (8.2.1) last night the only glitch I saw was the problem after sample loading that you have addressed in PB5. I didn't try it again this morning but will try to have a go this evening, in Logic 9.1 also.

If you PM me your email address I can send you over the logs for the crashed apps in case that proves useful.

Matt

Next issues...

1. Values in the header change when a knob is moved with the mouse, but not when they are adjusted with a midi controller.
2. I haven't found a way to make smaller adjustments to parameters, like the pitch parameter. I can't get it to exactly +12.0. I can get 11.8 and 12.1 but that's about it. I tried modifier keys like shift/cmd/alt/option and even combinations of these but couldn't make smaller adjustments.

michael2 wrote:thanks. installed fine on my machine and Logic 9 had no problems with the AU authorization. The only things that came up when I used it were that I couldn't get the keyboard to work for musical typing when I first loaded it. the virtual keyboard wouldn't open in Logic. I restarted Logic and opened it the next time.

I also couldn't get Granite to stop playing when I would turn the playhead in Logic off.
I had the much the same experience with two differences. When I activated Granite it immediately started playing without me having hit a key or play. Also when deactivated Granite in it crashed Logic 9.1

It is great sounding though. I can see using this a lot in Drum 'n Bass.

Hi Everybody

A new build is available (PB6), with a few fixes, but most significantly a new installer technology. This should hopefully solve the problems caused by the old one (locked files, no presets showing up etc).

http://www.newsonicarts.com/granite/dow ... 16_PB6.zip

From the reports of the last version, it seems there are still some lurking issues with the standalone on shutdown - which unfortunately I cannot reproduce. If anyone experiences that, would be great if you could send your crashlogs to james@newsonicarts.com (or for any other crashes of course).

Thanks
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Good news:

* New installer worked fine (I can't comment on it cleaning up after the PB5 installer because I'd already done that manually, but that's probably only an issue for beta testers anyway so who cares)

* PB6 fixes the problem with the interface locking up after you load your own sample.

Maybe Good news:

* I've opened/closed Granite a few times and not had either it, or anything else, crash. Too early to be sure that the problems with PB5 are gone but it's a definite improvement.

Regards,

Matt

My understand is that AIFF support should be in PB6. Attempting to drop an AIFF file onto standalone Granite isn't working for me.

Matt

Something that puzzles me about granite is how the yellow play cursor moves through the loop. The manual has thi to say:
Unlike a traditional sampler, the play position this does not necessarily proceed linearly, as the modulation features allow the play position to vary dynamically.
• The yellow Play Cursor in the Waveform shows the position of the most recently triggered grain. • The blue Loop Markers set the loop area for the Play Cursor.
The only control I can find that seems to have a bearing on this is speed set either +ve or -ve but this seems to me to be precisely linear movement.

By non-linear did you mean to say that it's not sample-linear, i.e. at higher speeds some samples are skipped? Or are there other controls affecting playhead position that I'm not seeing?

Thanks.

Matt

p.s. I have edited this post to try and make it more clear what my confusion is.

sandbags wrote:What actually controls where the yellow play cursor is and how it moves through the loop?
Short answer: speed & space

I'm sure James will come along with a more detailed response but until then I'd suggest picking a preset you like and changing the speed/space controls to see how they affect the yellow line. And then play with the lfo's below each.

I think a few useful addition to Granite would be:

1) Waveform zooming. With a sample loaded that is 80+s leong both the waveform, and playhead become quite indistinct.

2) Modifier click + drag to set the loop point. I find it annoying sometimes having to click and drag the two ends of the loop.

3) Multiple loop positions with movement. i.e. the ability to store say 4 positions of the loop points with their drag modulation and switch between them.

4) Load presets without changing the sample.

5) A simple way to turn off the effects chain (and keep it off).

Regards,

Matt
Last edited by sandbags on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleAge wrote:
sandbags wrote:What actually controls where the yellow play cursor is and how it moves through the loop?
Short answer: speed & space

I'm sure James will come along with a more detailed response but until then I'd suggest picking a preset you like and changing the speed/space controls to see how they affect the yellow line. And then play with the lfo's below each.
Thanks, I guess you are responding to my unedited post on this.

What I was really trying to clarify was the mention of "non-linear" movement, i.e. I was anticipating some method of directly controlling how the playhead moves rather than changing the rate/direction of linear travel.

Just musing out loud but, as an example, it might be nice to have some kind of envelope/waveshape-style control over playhead movement within the loop brace (if that makes sense).

Matt.

sandbags wrote:I think a few useful addition to Granite would be:

1) Waveform zooming. With a sample loaded that is 80+s leong both the waveform, and playhead become quite indistinct.
You can already zoom by click and dragging the little time header under the waveform window (where time is displayed).
sandbags wrote:My understand is that AIFF support should be in PB6. Attempting to drop an AIFF file onto standalone Granite isn't working for me.
Aif support comes in the next build.
Last edited by dsp music on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another suggestion:

I am mainly playing with Granite in gate mode and messing with chords. As far as I can see Granite is ignoring both velocity and aftertouch information.

It would be useful if both could be mapped to the modulation system in some way to affect multiple parameters, e.g. speed, panning, density and so on.

Matt

Return to “Instruments”