Granite OSX Public Beta - Open Invite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just downloaded the latest version - double-clicking the main display to load a wav doesn't work - nothing gets loaded. Ditto loading presets results in nada, so it's just a pretty GUI atm.
The Application Support folder is also still locked, changing the permissions unlocks it but still no dice with the presets.
10.6.5, Live 8.2.2b1
"What embecile composed this list :/"

You have to unlock as well the folder found in > Library/application Support/New Sonic Arts/Granite for presets to appear in the menu.

Loading works only with drag and drop as for now, loading by double clicking works only in the standalone version.

dsp music wrote:You have to unlock as well the folder found in > Library/application Support/New Sonic Arts/Granite for presets to appear in the menu.

Loading works only with drag and drop as for now, loading by double clicking works only in the standalone version.
Is everyone experiencing this problem? Very strange, seems something is going on with the installer permissions.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
dsp music wrote:You have to unlock as well the folder found in > Library/application Support/New Sonic Arts/Granite for presets to appear in the menu.

Is everyone experiencing this problem? Very strange, seems something is going on with the installer permissions.
It installed fine for me but I had follow dsp music's suggestion to unlock the presets folder.
OSX 10.6.4 imac 17

First off, this is probably the coolest thing I have played with since I bought ACE. This is a buy for sure. Now on to the details.

This is in Live 8.2 w/osx 10.6.4

1. I figured out the trigger issue but now I can't get it to stop playback.
2. I took me a few minutes to figure out how to set the modulating highlight area around the middle knobs. Works the same as dragging the modulation line in the sample window. What is the max record time for this process?
3. Obviously, I couldn't get the samples to load via the dialog. However I'd prefer drag-n-drop anyway so, no biggie there for me.
4. I like the interface a lot. Clear with big buttons is a good thing.

UncleAge wrote:First off, this is probably the coolest thing I have played with since I bought ACE. This is a buy for sure. Now on to the details.
Great, thanks :)
UncleAge wrote: 1. I figured out the trigger issue but now I can't get it to stop playback.
The Gate button is On? In that case it should stop making sound when you release notes, according to the release time on the Master page. (BTW hmm, yes perhaps on would be a better default...?)
UncleAge wrote: 2. I took me a few minutes to figure out how to set the modulating highlight area around the middle knobs. Works the same as dragging the modulation line in the sample window. What is the max record time for this process?
No limit - except for system ram, but you would have to make some *very* long recordings to hit that :)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
UncleAge wrote: 1. I figured out the trigger issue but now I can't get it to stop playback.
The Gate button is On? In that case it should stop making sound when you release notes, according to the release time on the Master page. (BTW hmm, yes perhaps on would be a better default...?)
I second that. in every host I know instrument are usually playing when triggered by midi. I know this is a feature etc, but it could disappoint first timers ....

UncleAge wrote:2. I took me a few minutes to figure out how to set the modulating highlight area around the middle knobs.
Me too until i red the manual :)

PB4 is now uploaded - should hopefully now pass the Logic AU Validation on all machines. Confirmations would be much appreciated!

For those who already installed an earlier version, please rescan in Logic AU manager after installing PB4.

http://www.newsonicarts.com/granite/dow ... SX_PB4.zip

Thanks to everyone for the great help so far!
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

dsp music wrote:
UncleAge wrote:2. I took me a few minutes to figure out how to set the modulating highlight area around the middle knobs.
Me too until i red the manual :)
There's a manual? :D

Inside the granite folder (you may have to change authorizations to access it) in Applications, there's .pdf user manual. ;)

Granite is actually quite simple to use imho.

I had the same problem with the install, having to authorise myself to be able to access either the plugin in /Applications or the support folder.

I'm also having the problem, standalone, that if I double-click to load a new sample although the sample appears to load, and the UI isn't frozen (the hover help still works), the UI is non-functional. I can't click anything, and the instrument doesn't play. I can still double-click to load new samples but, nothing else, and it won't work from then on. I tried with a number of different samples.

OSX 10.6.5 on Mac Pro 5,1 6-core 3.33GHz/10GB RAM.

The presets sound very interesting though and, although I have a number of other granular processors, if this isn't too expensive I'm interested.

As a further detail when I tried using the AU in Live 8.2.1 I had the same problem once I tried to load my own sample.

I closed the plugin window and re-opened it hoping that might free it up and found that it had reverted to the previous state (i.e. one of the presets).

Granite sounds nice though. If I didn't already have Reaktor and M4L I'd certainly be interested.

Matt

Last bit of feedback from me:

The first time I closed Granite standalone a few of my apps seemed to crash.

The second time I closed Granite standalone my desktop session died.

This mac is only a couple of months old and has been rock-solid except for these two incidents. Obviously I can't be sure Granite is the culprit but it seems a bit of a coincidence if not.

Regards,

Matt

sandbags wrote:As a further detail when I tried using the AU in Live 8.2.1 I had the same problem once I tried to load my own sample.
I'm on Live 8.2/osx 10.6.4/iMac i7 and I haven't had it freeze up when dropping samples out Live's browser yet. Are you dropping straight wav files?

As it is right now the modulation is recorded when the mouse button is held down. Will there be an update that will allow this functionality via midi cc messages? In Live I have no problem mapping the cc's inside of the plug or via the mapping functionality native to Live. I can affect each parameter that is mapped, in realtime with no problems. But I can't seem to get Granite to record those movements. Is there something I am missing?

Return to “Instruments”