Granite OSX Public Beta - Open Invite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sandbags wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
sandbags wrote:What actually controls where the yellow play cursor is and how it moves through the loop?
Short answer: speed & space

I'm sure James will come along with a more detailed response but until then I'd suggest picking a preset you like and changing the speed/space controls to see how they affect the yellow line. And then play with the lfo's below each.
Thanks, I guess you are responding to my unedited post on this.

What I was really trying to clarify was the mention of "non-linear" movement, i.e. I was anticipating some method of directly controlling how the playhead moves rather than changing the rate/direction of linear travel.

Matt.
Ok. Then two more things. Recording your changes to the speed, which can also mean direction, at varying amounts can affect the playhead's movement. Also, you can drag your mouse in the waveform window and those movements will recorded as well. The combination of the two allows for some pretty crazy stuff. But basically I'm saying, don't just think of speed as fast slow or backwards forwards. Think of it as a combination of both that can happen all at once. And the lfo is a way to add even more variation.

dsp music wrote:
sandbags wrote:I think a few useful addition to Granite would be:

1) Waveform zooming. With a sample loaded that is 80+s leong both the waveform, and playhead become quite indistinct.
You can already zoom by click and dragging the little time header under the waveform window (where time is displayed).
Yep I see that in the manual too damnit.

Thanks for pointing out my lack of attention :)

Matt

No worries, it's easy to miss (hidden) features unless you read about them.

Velocity affects only Amp Env (set in the master page).

sandbags wrote:As far as I can see Granite is ignoring both velocity and aftertouch information.
I have no comment on aftertouch but it is definitely responding to velocity info on my system.

UncleAge wrote:
sandbags wrote:As far as I can see Granite is ignoring both velocity and aftertouch information.
I have no comment on aftertouch but it is definitely responding to velocity info on my system.
Hrmm.. I guess I'll have to take your word for it but I'm not hearing much difference in output whether I play light or heavy. I've tried across a range of values of the velocity control on the master page.

Matt

sandbags wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
Hrmm.. I guess I'll have to take your word for it but I'm not hearing much difference in output whether I play light or heavy. I've tried across a range of values of the velocity control on the master page.

Matt
Using the "Granular Drums" preset I recorded a bunch of taps on my LPD8 in Live. I set the Retrig to "On" and recorded 4 bars worth with velocities ranging from 5 to 126. They definitely sound different here. I hope you get that sorted.

Hi there,

Will there be an OSX VST version? I stay away from AUs like the plague.

thanks

While I am sure it's just a visual glitch I've noticed that the playhead, quite often, seems to jump around outside the loop brace. You can see what I mean from a screen capture I just took.

Regards,

Matt

No visual glitch.
Using the same preset and about the same knobs values, I get the playhead jump around out of the brackets as well.... Still it seems to play fine...

Unless I am mistaken it seems like standalone Granite also does not work with sustain. I'm using sustain in Kontakt and it seems to be fine, switch to Granite and the notes die off immediately.

Matt

sandbags wrote:
UncleAge wrote:

Matt
Granite doesnt support aftertouch, but it does support velocity. But velocities are latched to the start of grains, so to clearly hear it, set Velocity to full on the Master page, and then set Space and Density to 0% (this will avoid long grains). If it doesnt work, it could be an OSX bug (possible as AU annoyingly has several ways to deliver MIDI notes to the plugin, and different hosts try different ways).

Also, Granite doesnt currently support sustain messages.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

sandbags wrote:While I am sure it's just a visual glitch I've noticed that the playhead, quite often, seems to jump around outside the loop brace. You can see what I mean from a screen capture I just took.

Regards,

Matt
Actually its intended. In pre-release versions, the playhead was limited to the loop range, but this resulted in the modulations having little effect when you had a small loop range (which is often the case in Granite, as you tend to "pick" out a part of the source material). Its was also slightly more cpu efficient to let it go outside, so overall it seemed to make sense.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:Granite doesnt support aftertouch, but it does support velocity. But velocities are latched to the start of grains, so to clearly hear it, set Velocity to full on the Master page, and then set Space and Density to 0% (this will avoid long grains).
It could be that the settings I was using were non-optimal. I did try setting velocity to maximum but perhaps the space & density meant that the grains were too long.

I'd really like to see velocity (and after-touch) assignable as modulators to other parameters. I think it would make Granite far more expressive as a playable instrument (see also my comment below about sustain).
newsonicarts wrote:If it doesnt work, it could be an OSX bug (possible as AU annoyingly has several ways to deliver MIDI notes to the plugin, and different hosts try different ways).
To be clear I was doing my testing in standalone mode rather than as a plugin.
newsonicarts wrote:Also, Granite doesnt currently support sustain messages.
Okay it would be nice if it did. The thing that makes Granite most interesting, from my perspective, is the ability to play chords and have them "imprinted" on the granular material. Without sustain though it's a lot harder to see it as being "playable".

Regards,

Matt

http://www.newsonicarts.com/granite/dow ... 16_PB7.zip

Still not sure if installer is working in all cases - so please check that the build date (in info screen) is 16th December.

cheers
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:www.newsonicarts.com/granite/downloads/ ... 16_PB7.zip

Still not sure if installer is working in all cases - so please check that the build date (in info screen) is 16th December.

cheers
The installer worked *really* fast but says 1.1.6 16/12/10 here.

Matt

Return to “Instruments”