Any VST like Virus TI !?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thelizard wrote:I really love Zebrify, but you know what? I don't think I've ever tried the XMF on my guitar. I'm going to have to try that when I get back to my apartment after the holidays (I don't fly with my guitar anymore after how... ummm... "polite" the TSA is).
I'll be interested to hear your opinions on it. I don't play guitar so I tend to just process other signals in the box. I do know that guitar weenies get obsessed about pedals and stompboxes though and would be interested on your thoughts for XMF as a guitar processor. Be sure to try the "diff" mode too, you can get some really interesting harmonics with that setting.

I agree that the shapers are a bit on the "tame" side. If you're familiar with hardware modulars, they remind me of the Doepfer A-136, which does a great job of mutating simpler waveforms from oscillators, but has trouble doing very much of interest with complex signals. The Virus runs the spectrum of aggression, and tops it off with a few stompbox algorithms as well (these were added this year, I think).[/quote]Urs has said in the past distortion and compression are two areas he doesn't feel he's a domain expert on. I recall him saying he actually hired someone else to create some distortion algs for him. Given the rough year he had + this new Amazona.de Tyrell + Uhbik-X + Bazille who knows when it'll actually come to Zebra. So unless the OP is deeply interested in the Virus' distortion or Granular synthesis modes I'd say Zebra would easily have him covered sound-wise. The price is also a nice differentiator. ;)
thelizard wrote:I can use the Virus away from the computer. I once spent a vacation home with just Guitar->Virus->Headphones. That's not me saying "This is why the Virus is 'better' than VSTs". It's more or less why I've grown to use it in more situations (that, and it cost me a crapton of money :lol:)
Now this is something that no VST could do. That and the immediacy of the interface feedback cannot be easily replicated even with laptop+midi controller. As long as you felt it's money well invested, it is. BTW, does the TSA give you crap about the virus? I'm sure a giant, heavy, electronic device with dozens of knobs is sure to raise their eyebrows.
thelizard wrote:I *have* used Runciter a whole lot on guitar, more as distortion (or is it technically overdrive?) and less as a filter. That one sounds really cool when used pre-chain with Guitar Rig.
I always forget about Runciter! It sits in my plugin folder just betting to be used too... And I thought distortion was just analog-style overdrive of the input signal. But then again, Urs calls Runciter a digital filter...So who knows. I do think it sounds very nice on drum loops. :band:

thelizard wrote:
bmrzycki wrote: I agree it's not a 1:1 comparison, few synth comparisons are. :) Urs has said in the past he felt Zebra was a bit lacking in the area of distortion. The shapers only have a couple of modes and are fairly tame. He did say he had it on his (very long) list of items he'd like to add/update.

Were you aware of the Zebrify plugin? I'm curious to know if you, a guitar player, have tried it as an effect unit. Maybe XMF + Shapers + a tad of EQ can get you to a happy place too?

To be honest, my favorite distortion unit is Scream 4 in Reason. My second favorite is probably the KarmaFX effect unit.

And yes, I'm glad this is still a civil discussion!
I really love Zebrify, but you know what? I don't think I've ever tried the XMF on my guitar. I'm going to have to try that when I get back to my apartment after the holidays (I don't fly with my guitar anymore after how... ummm... "polite" the TSA is).
I like the XMF and LP12 in series for guitar... try XMF with Allpass mode then the LP12 or other filter type after. I've gotten some lovely results with that setup.

like Zebrify more than Runciter for guitar...and with Zebrify you get the envelop follower which can make some quite interesting results.

Bit by bit over time I figure out different flavors of distortion with Zebra using multiple filters in series. Urs has the long term plan of adding a distortion module which I think will cover this slightly weak area. Before 2.5 distortion was more of a weakness. Since 2.5 I hardly use the shapers and Zebra is better than one might think at first, but it does take some work.

jobromedia wrote:Try my plugin JBM Jagular from last years DC. Gives you 512 digital waveforms, supersaw, FM and a lot more.
this synth?

http://vimeo.com/14834903

you have to be kidding :lol:

besides, the GUI looks like broken or made on paint on a hangover day, sorry

Yep that one. :D No worries. It is not a good replacement for a Virus TI, but it is at least something to get you going somewhere for a starter. :) And I'm sad to hear your critics of my GUI. I've got just 10% sight on my right eye. That should explain it. I really don't focus on the interface, for me the sound is what really counts.

Take a listen.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Use the Refx Vangaurd its perfect for a virus Ti synth
[/quote]

This is the most similar sound to Sylenth1 i've ever heard, what do you think?

http://youtu.be/OZswdFI7h38

combichrist18 wrote:Use the Refx Vangaurd its perfect for a virus Ti synth
So you dug up a long dead 4 year old thread just to recommend a synth from a decade ago? Seriously?!
Alchemist12 wrote:This is the most similar sound to Sylenth1 i've ever heard, what do you think?

And then you show up a year later and dig up this old thread from the grave AGAIN, this time with a completely out of context post.

Unbelievable.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by afreshcupofjoe on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

deleted
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

Alchemist12 wrote:This is the most similar sound to Sylenth1 i've ever heard, what do you think?
Hrm, what do I think...

You have 4 posts here: 1 from 3 years ago and 3 yesterday. All four are related to products that best service makes (for some reason those 3 newer posts are all on threads that were previously very old).

I think you work for, or partially own, best service and are trying to push those products here.

Dune , Spire , audjo helix , Serum , Nexus , Sylenth , Synthmaster ..................

VST with TI? Wow! :dog: :lol:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Tone 2 Electra its inspired pretty much from Virus and Microwave ... it can get u there but it can offer much more then what virus can offer you..

Alchemy with Viral outbreak soundset

any news here after more than 1 year?
#PassionForHappiness

b-pole wrote:any news here after more than 1 year?
Spire (like year before)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”