PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

deltaMACHINE wrote:Hi Martin,

now the sysex works :)
This is good news, but leaves me a bit puzzled why the same function works, when called from within the plugin, but causes a crash when called by the host...

Martin

Just updated the AU versions. I found a possible bug which might have caused the crash in Logic.
Not sure whether it will help. Please, try the new AU versions in Logic, and let me know whether they finally work.

Fingers crossed...

Martin

I just downloaded the Mac AU version from dropbox, but opening the plugin blocks Logic and takes up 100% of one core. From the sample in Activity Monitor, it seems to be stuck here:

1597 CMDAudioUnit::Load(long, long, long) (in MAAudioEngine) + 8322 [0x10cf42702]
1597 _AT_MusicDeviceSysEx (in AudioToolbox) + 159 [0x7fff885c5088]
1597 PG8X_Entry (in PG8X) + 35 [0x118749863]
1597 IPlugAU::IPlugAUEntry(ComponentParameters*, void*) (in PG8X) + 3553 [0x1187a11a3]
1597 PG8X::ProcessSysEx(ISysEx*) (in PG8X) + 69 [0x118765f37]
1597 SysexHandler::process(ISysEx*) (in PG8X) + 149,159,... [0x1187ddc97,0x1187ddca1,...]

FLWrd wrote:I just downloaded the Mac AU version from dropbox, but opening the plugin blocks Logic and takes up 100% of one core. From the sample in Activity Monitor, it seems to be stuck here:

1597 CMDAudioUnit::Load(long, long, long) (in MAAudioEngine) + 8322 [0x10cf42702]
1597 _AT_MusicDeviceSysEx (in AudioToolbox) + 159 [0x7fff885c5088]
1597 PG8X_Entry (in PG8X) + 35 [0x118749863]
1597 IPlugAU::IPlugAUEntry(ComponentParameters*, void*) (in PG8X) + 3553 [0x1187a11a3]
1597 PG8X::ProcessSysEx(ISysEx*) (in PG8X) + 69 [0x118765f37]
1597 SysexHandler::process(ISysEx*) (in PG8X) + 149,159,... [0x1187ddc97,0x1187ddca1,...]
Thanks!

That confirms the other error report. I am just puzzled why Logic is calling this function at that time.

One bad suspicion: Could it be that Logic is somehow using Sysex internally for parameter automation? If it sent a sysex back to the plugin, every time a parameter is changed, that could lead to an deadlock when trying to change parameters due to a sysex message...

Just speculating at this point... Does anybody know more about what Logic might do with sysex?

Martin

i think i know whats causing my out of tune issue... the tuning is fine on my laptop with EXT2 using the directsound driver, but on my daw using the maudio aiso driver it is off....all other plugins under aiso driver generate the correct tuning.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i think i know whats causing my out of tune issue... the tuning is fine on my laptop with EXT2 using the directsound driver, but on my daw using the maudio aiso driver it is off....all other plugins under aiso driver generate the correct tuning.
How does the tuning behave when you change the samplerate?

Just updated the AU with some more checks to hopefully prevent the logic crash.
Let's hope...

Just updated again. More checks against malformed sysex data.

martin_l wrote: One bad suspicion: Could it be that Logic is somehow using Sysex internally for parameter automation?
I don't know, but it does send sysex on opening. This is what it seems to send to my plugin on first opening in a clean project: F0 7F 00 04 03 00 40 F7. Manufacturer ID is "educational use". The rest doesn't make any sense to me, and XCode has just updated or something and now refuses to show the documentation. Some kind of version number?

FLWrd wrote:
martin_l wrote: One bad suspicion: Could it be that Logic is somehow using Sysex internally for parameter automation?
I don't know, but it does send sysex on opening. This is what it seems to send to my plugin on first opening in a clean project: F0 7F 00 04 03 00 40 F7. Manufacturer ID is "educational use". The rest doesn't make any sense to me, and XCode has just updated or something and now refuses to show the documentation. Some kind of version number?
Thanks very much!! I think this is it!

My sysex parser does bail out when the data is not a sysex, but I now realised that it will deadlock when it receives a sysex which has a wrong manufacturer ID.

Will fix this now.

Cheers,
Martin

OK. Now implemented a bailout for foreign sysex messages.
Just uploaded an updated AU on the dropbox.

Please, let me know whether this works now.

Thanks,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
layzer wrote:i think i know whats causing my out of tune issue... the tuning is fine on my laptop with EXT2 using the directsound driver, but on my daw using the maudio aiso driver it is off....all other plugins under aiso driver generate the correct tuning.
both 41 and 48 sample rates are off by a note.... i can get patches to be in tune by transposing both osc's to -1 and setting master tuning to 423hz :bang: :nutter:

layzer wrote:
martin_l wrote:
both 41 and 48 sample rates are off by a note.... i can get patches to be in tune by transposing both osc's to -1 and setting master tuning to 423hz :bang: :nutter:
So, this is still on ext2 as host?

Can you look at the raw values of the tune parameters, I.e does ext2 have a default GUI? If so, are the values really zero?

What is the value for master tune in the settings panel?

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
layzer wrote:
martin_l wrote:
So, this is still on ext2 as host?

Can you look at the raw values of the tune parameters, I.e does ext2 have a default GUI? If so, are the values really zero?

What is the value for master tune in the settings panel?

Cheers,
Martin
yes, ext2 x32 xp

tuning in settings is 440. any patch loaded up plays a key and a half pitched up.
other plugins on my system play fine, so there is nothing system-wide being transposed...ie; pitchbend. i'm gonna try it on my other laptop that has a audigy2 pcmcia card with creative labs aiso driver.

confirmed: tuning issue when sample rate at 48000 with asio drivers of 2 different audio devices. not sure if it happens in other hosts though. only tested in EXT2. tuning seems to be ok at 44100 after close/reopen EXT2 on my daw.

martin_l wrote:OK. Now implemented a bailout for foreign sysex messages.
Just uploaded an updated AU on the dropbox.
I can confirm it loads and opens the plugin GUI. Since I'm at my work, I can't test much more at this moment. Will do so tonight.

Return to “Instruments”