PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

layzer wrote:
karol wrote: It would be great to see new GUI. I don't like current GUI at all and I belive that many users share my view. I mean.. the quality of images and text is poor... especially if you compare it to this:

http://www.rockendorf.de/image/ScreenshotEditor.jpg
http://apps4idevices.com/data/o0/images ... 02-001.jpg
http://kentai.ch/wp-content/uploads/201 ... G_0044.png

(I love the latter)

Best
--Karol
as Martin refines the audio Engine, i am also making refinements to the GUI i pitched to him a few pages ago...which currently looks like this. Still need to work on the small fonts to make them more readable. when Martin is ready, we may see it implemented 8)

How about numerical values under each slider (like in the original PG-8X)?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: How about numerical values under each slider (like in the original PG-8X)?
Or perhaps the slider's identity and value displayed in a separate box when that slider is "moused-over" rather than complicate the GUI and a click allows numerical entry in the box for fine adjustments?

바보

Numerical values could also go on each slider pot so everything could be visible simultaneously.

electro wrote:Numerical values could also go on each slider pot so everything could be visible simultaneously.
And it is certainly the best to assure the best reactivity when recording.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

bftucker wrote:
electro wrote: How about numerical values under each slider (like in the original PG-8X)?
Or perhaps the slider's identity and value displayed in a separate box when that slider is "moused-over" rather than complicate the GUI and a click allows numerical entry in the box for fine adjustments?

This is actually what is implemented at the moment. The latest picture of layzers GUI does not show that, but the second line of the display panel shows the name and value of each control, once the mouse has entered the control area.

@electro: Personally, I don't see the necessity of that, and in my opinion, it does not look nice. In the original version, I only implemented them as a workaround, as I did not want to spend the time to implement a global readout in SynthEdit. I do believe now that such modules exist, but I wanted to concentrate more on the sound engine.

However, I am currently playing around with such per-control readouts, which can be switched on or off optionally in the global settings, where the default will be OFF.

BlackWinny wrote:
electro wrote:Numerical values could also go on each slider pot so everything could be visible simultaneously.
I don't quite understand what you mean by that. How exactly would these readouts affect the reactivity when recording?

martin_l wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
I don't quite understand what you mean by that. How exactly would these readouts affect the reactivity when recording?
The reactivity of the musician. Seeing the values in the form of numbers allow a better reflex, a quicker reaction from the musician to adjust the knob exactly at the value that he wants without having to grope around.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:
martin_l wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
The reactivity of the musician. Seeing the values in the form of numbers allow a better reflex, a quicker reaction from the musician to adjust the knob exactly at the value that he wants without having to grope around.
Well, maybe. Some of us use our ears instead. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

martin_l wrote: @electro: Personally, I don't see the necessity of that, and in my opinion, it does not look nice. In the original version, I only implemented them as a workaround, as I did not want to spend the time to implement a global readout in SynthEdit. I do believe now that such modules exist, but I wanted to concentrate more on the sound engine.

However, I am currently playing around with such per-control readouts, which can be switched on or off optionally in the global settings, where the default will be OFF.
This - the magic solution.

martin_l, would you mind listing all internal PG-8X parameters beyond JX-8P .syx

Spitfire31 wrote: Well, maybe. Some of us use our ears instead. ;-)

/Joachim
Ahhh.... Too bad for me. I'm deaf!

Sorry I joke around. It's so good for the health!

Martin -
Sorry to bring up an old issue, but any chance you'll get the sustain pedal/hung note in mono mode issue fixed in the next pass?

electro wrote: martin_l, would you mind listing all internal PG-8X parameters beyond JX-8P .syx
List as what? And, beyond which .syx format? The JX8P has different levels for sysex data (tone data and patch data).

Parameters beyond both tone and patch sysex are, Filter Noise, Chorus Speed and Depth, three independent AT levels, and the "octave stretch".

Furthermore, each preset contains its MidiLearn map.

There might be more switches to come (not sure yet where to save them):

* whether or not to send sysex on each parameter change
* whether or not to send sysex on each program change

* whether or not to save the preset immediately when a parameter is changed (switching between restorer and keeper model, see earlier discussions...)

Cheers,
Martin

lionscub68 wrote:Martin -
Sorry to bring up an old issue, but any chance you'll get the sustain pedal/hung note in mono mode issue fixed in the next pass?
Is fixed, but the new version is not yet published, as I started implementing some other changes at the same time. I hope that I manage to test (and possibly fix) all new implementations this weekend, so that I can publish the next beta soon.

Currently, the development is a bit slowed down, as my real life job and family eats up most of my time...

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks. I hear you about family et al. :)

The parameters in the "PG8X display" fits good and logic to this JX emulation for me.
parameter in PG8X display.png
An alternative is using a host like Reaper, where you can switch between UI and parameters view.
parameters in Reaper.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Return to “Instruments”