PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

The entire patch handling section could be moved to the top instead of the bottom of the GUI.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:I'm starting to think native JX-8P .syx READ /WRITE is the smartest solution for PG8X
rkell wrote: I like the different options: save as SYSEX to upload to hardware JX-8P, but have option of proprietary PG8X format in order to access additional features in the soft VSTi (12 voices, etc.)
martin_l wrote: There are some parameters, which are not available on the JX-8P. They are minor, though. Examples are the octave stretch, the filter noise, chorus parameters, etc.

and

Program Name Length (patch name).
You will notice, when saving a patch as SYSEX, the maximum program name lenght will cut to 10 letters (like on JX8P hardware).

In PG8X native format, atm, program names can be up to 30 letters long (though the display shows `only` 22).

It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Yes. The main idea of the native PG8X sysex format was to establish some way of copying patches from the old Synthedit version to the new one. The problem with the Synthedit version is that I am not able to 'decipher' what is written into the fxb files. This part was handled by Synthedit itself, and was not a custom module. From what I can see, the fxb files also contain all the information of invisible modules, which could be controlled by parameters, such as for instance a number of 'waveshapers' which I used to model some of the non-linearities of the the hardware. For that reason, I hacked together this version 1.04, which has the additional feature of sending Sysex. I am not quite sure yet whether the native PG8X format is correctly interpreted by the new version.

Once everything is settled and tested, I will post the recipe for transferring the patches and saving as native pg8xbanks.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote: I could implement saving full banks as sysex, but I don't really see the purpose...
Useless and confusing when JX8P hardware or other editors / bank manager can not handle such pg8x own sysex full banks :).
Export single bank as sysex - YES.
martin_l wrote: For example, I was considering moving the number of voices from a per-preset parameter to a global parameter (which will be saved with a bank, though).
If global parameter will stored within presets or banks and not in the pg8x.ini, maybe pg8x should have some kind of `Settings Lock`switch.
So, that loading presets/banks from others not affect your own global settings, if you don`t want it.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Martin, sorry if this was asked already. Will the final version support dual tone architecture like on JX-10/MKS-70? That would be extremely cool if possible! :O

EvilDragon wrote:Martin, sorry if this was asked already. Will the final version support dual tone architecture like on JX-10/MKS-70? That would be extremely cool if possible! :O
I can answer that from an earlier version of the question:
Something along the lines of, first [he's] gonna get the JX8P model up and running 100% first, and iron out the wrinkles. After that he may pursue the JX10/MKS70 concept.

Of course, wouldn't it be great if there was a utility to break apart the MKS70's patches into two JX8P patches... then use two instances of PG8X? :) just my random nutty thought on the concept

lionscub68 wrote:Of course, wouldn't it be great if there was a utility to break apart the MKS70's patches into two JX8P patches... then use two instances of PG8X? :) just my random nutty thought on the concept
Actually, the MKS-70 is a little more than just two JX-8P patches. There are several modes to play them, for example.

But I think we can infer from Martin answer regarding the buttons, when he said he wanted to reserve the JX-10/MKS-70 style buttons for some other project that he will run the extra mile, later.
Fernando (FMR)

Sheesh. This really captures the essence of my old JX8P/PG800, which I of course regret selling.

Excellent work!
Bachmaninoff

this is a fantastic synth, love the sounds!

Thanks!

Just a heads up on the new version: During the last weeks, I have re-written quite a bit of the code, in particular the anti-aliasing filter. Most of the coding is finished now, and I am currently fine tuning all parameters. But this still is a lot of work, in particular to capture some of the subtle non-linearities...

Cheers,
Martin

Many thanks for your work, and have a nice 2015 :-)
Fernando (FMR)

great news cannot wait. This synth is very much still relevant especially if your going to improve it as it was already a favorite of mine.

Very nice freebie. Thanks for sharing! Hopefuly, it will run fine in FL Studio 11.

ive tried patches from the JX10 and they work just fine, are the 2 synths fully compatible? amazing sounds once again i have to mention it, maybe the best analog free vst
Last edited by nickamandote on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SampleScience wrote:Very nice freebie. Thanks for sharing! Hopefuly, it will run fine in FL Studio 11.
I intend to make it work in FL. If there are any problems, please let me know.
I hope to be able to release a new beta in a weeks time...

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”