PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

martin_l wrote:
Sound Author wrote:As much as I love PG8X, I've been experiencing frequent crashes :(

Anybody else experiencing that?
Can you, please, send me more details, such as:

which System, processor, OS, DAW, etc. are you using?
Where do the crashes occur? At startup? At specific parameter changes? Randomly?

How are the crashes? Computer hangs? Daw hangs? Window with some error message?

The more information I get, the easier it will be for me to try to fix things.

Thanks,
Martin
Hey Martin,

I'm a Windows 8 user on an HP Pavillion. I use Mixcraft as a DAW mostly. PG8X seems to function fine when it's the star of the show, but when I layer it with other freeware synths like Charlatan and Synth1, things start to get interesting. Understandably, the CPU hit will be larger when you layer several instruments together, but for some reason, PG8X freezes my DAW completely when layered with two or more instruments. Sometimes this happens when I just try to open the wrapper. Boom. Frozen.

So, it's not really a complaint about PG8X itself, as much as its willingness to play nice with the other kids. However, now that I think of it, Charlatan 2.0 was released very recently and the crashes might have something to do with that. But still, PG8X stops everything (sometimes) in busy projects with lots of layering going on. Not the end of the world, I can just save frequently and be more careful. My potato-top doesn't help matters either :lol:

I really like it! Reminds me of my old MKS-70.
'enjoy the electronic flow'

For some reason, PG8X seems to eat MIDI events (seems to be acting as a MIDI processing VST but not outputting any events). This prevents layering multiple synths in a single track in Reaper specifically (unless you only have 1 instance of PG8X in the track and it's the last synth).

Much thanks for the synth though. In particular, the JX sound is spot on!

MadBrain wrote:For some reason, PG8X seems to eat MIDI events (seems to be acting as a MIDI processing VST but not outputting any events). This prevents layering multiple synths in a single track in Reaper specifically (unless you only have 1 instance of PG8X in the track and it's the last synth).

Much thanks for the synth though. In particular, the JX sound is spot on!
In Reaper you can overrule that behavior using a right click on the IO button and choose merge midi bus (instead of replace).

Can polyphony be moved from submenu to main page?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Fantastic work!!

At first I was not impressed by the "noize" sounding init patch... But after downloading some presets I am stunned.. Possibly new favorite VST.

req: Program Change for patch control.. Didn't seem to work for me in Cubase.

thanks

edit note

E Bass preset you can really notice the clicking sound "bug" some others have mentioned.
Last edited by sampliist on Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Program Change works over here in Reaper...

You have to enable it in Settings panel to work, though.

little nitpick:
mousewheeling over the red "set programm" buttons is a bit irritating.
it's passing wheel-up/down events as clicks, which in my case led to some unwanted "init" and "random" patches :)
initially it felt like wheeling over prev/next was doing program-changes accordingly,
until i figured it clicks whatever you're hovering, no matter which direction you wheel.

and another tiny thing:
the octave sliders come to rest at slightly different positions when double-clicking vs. moving the slider to 8'

edit:
oops, forgot to mention: win7-x64, reaper-x64 (pre5)

I do have one quick question..

When the plugin updates will my presets (in Cubase) be compatible with the new version? (as in presets I save as VST format)

thx

Really great plug! Thank you for giving it away for free. I don't own a JX8P, but I've been lusting after one for a while now so I'm quite familiar with it's sound. Let's just say this plug is totally satisfying my GAS ;) It sounds great.

So, I use my System 1 to control the TAL U-NO-LX2 and it maps to nearly all of the functions I want my hands on. Works great. But the PG8X's architecture is too involved for me to use the System 1 as a proper controller. I'd love to know - what's everyone using as a controller for the PG8X?

If you want to use my patches and distribute them in future, here go:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6129794

As long as my credentials for my studio stay "sdm" you're free to use them.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Afro88 wrote:Really great plug! Thank you for giving it away for free. I don't own a JX8P, but I've been lusting after one for a while now so I'm quite familiar with it's sound. Let's just say this plug is totally satisfying my GAS ;) It sounds great.

So, I use my System 1 to control the TAL U-NO-LX2 and it maps to nearly all of the functions I want my hands on. Works great. But the PG8X's architecture is too involved for me to use the System 1 as a proper controller. I'd love to know - what's everyone using as a controller for the PG8X?
A mouse :troll:

psmacmur wrote:
Afro88 wrote:Really great plug! Thank you for giving it away for free. I don't own a JX8P, but I've been lusting after one for a while now so I'm quite familiar with it's sound. Let's just say this plug is totally satisfying my GAS ;) It sounds great.

the great mighty logitech wireless M305 mouse does the trick for me as well
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

psmacmur wrote:

Ha

Wish the PG800 sent midi...

I wish I could control my DAW and plugs with this

Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Instruments”