PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

deft_bonz wrote:I wish I could control my DAW and plugs with this

I have a similar pair of roboshorts. I've tried everything and still can't get them to control my DAW. Perhaps I'm wearing them backwards :dog:

Roboshorts? Don't they control your plugin?!!

Just make sure you have the right channel.

:D
바보

Where do you download the latest version and presets?

Hi Martin, hi all, let me kick off my first feedback here with a MASSIVE THANK YOU on putting this thing together and congrats to it's first big challenge, having thrown it to the wolves at OSC, hahaha! :scared: :lol: :tu:

Whether it was ready for that or not, no better way of boosting its development than having musicians put it to exposed use at such scale. I think I made my submission for it on day one of playing with it, but even after that I kept on making patches for days.

Troubles I noticed are...
- sync modes of osc2 can get stuck when switching between presets and editing them.
- envelopes don't initialize consistently per note on? [...as per your suggestion!]
- a slow attack on env 1 hooked to filter somehow appears to transfer its behavior to volume or env 2, I can't explain it?!
- lfo delay doesn't initialize properly per note on.
- lfo delay times in sync are wacky and miss useful speeds faster than 1/8 (could use 1/16, 1/24, 1/32...)

Some of those things may be related to its source of inspiration for the sake of authenticity. I wouldn't know, because I've never used a JX8P. Considering some of the nice traits of your synth, though, it feels like a waste not to give it a little extra lift. 8-)
I could very well imagine that the filter does a fine job in simulating the original, but it is really tough to work with. It seems to have a steep curve from muffled beyond use to sparklingly bright, also choking the volume of the sound somehow more than it feels right or pleasant...but just in general, I'm not sure about the filter sound/feel. It's just hard to work with. Maybe once the envelopes begin to behave, things will feel differently, too.

But, yeah, overall it can offer some really nice and rich sounds, some of which may even climb up to be recognizable, which would be a crowning achievement for any synth. I wonder, if you went through all the original patches with it? That could be pretty exciting, too.

I'm joining all this a little late in the game, I'm sure, which is why I might cause some rolling eyes, but it would be my pleasure to stick around and see how I can support your efforts here. Again: Great job and Thank you very much for doing what you do! :hyper: :tu:

Hi,
has the function "rotate banks" been removed?

Chris

toque wrote:Where do you download the latest version and presets?
See the link download location for the latest beta versions in the first post of this thread.

Some preset banks you find on the KVR product page for pg-8x.

Chris-S wrote:Hi,
has the function "rotate banks" been removed?

Chris
Nope.

I re-found it. :)
(right-click on patch number).

Chris-S wrote:
toque wrote:Where do you download the latest version and presets?

Some preset banks you find on the KVR product page for pg-8x.
You can also find some presets on the OSC page here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=437718
Including 64 patches made by me :)
:tu: All is good

I've always had gas for the JX-8P, and have to say that if it sounds anything like PG8X then I JUST HAVE to get my hands on one! This is amazing! :clap:

the last version is pretty solid. What else is being tweaked?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:the last version is pretty solid. What else is being tweaked?
When I am back at my development computer, I need to fix some reported bugs (mismatched GUI display, etc.), check the portamento, change the resolution of the quantized LFO speed, and I need to fine tune the envelopes, which are not yet right.

Apart from that, there should be no major changes. Will be a while, though, until I get to do that, as I am currently several thousand miles away from my machine...

Cheers,
Martin

Fine tuning ADSR will take up to 127 .syx files for each of the four stages.

The quickest way will be to make PG-8X capable of writing JX-8P compatible .syx.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

i noticed some weird behavior.
i still have to figure out if this is a reaper issue or caused by pg-8x.

first thing i ran into was oddly long save times (several seconds) and
gui-stalling (no audio-dropouts) while saving with the project i currently
work on (osc, so it's 10 instances of pg-8x).

next, i was shocked by the amount of space (several gigs) occupied by
undo-data in this project compared to others without pg-8x.

checked my autosave settings to confirm i hadn't changed anything.

then had a look into an .undo file.
compared to normal changes in the daw or changes in other plugins,
pg-8x generates an awful lot of data for every little change in the
undo history (10-20 times of what other plugins use).

so for this project i had to turn of autosaving just because of the annoyance
that it always happens when you don't want a stalled gui for like 10 seconds.
still, when saving manually from time to time it still takes ages to save the undo history.

anybody else experiencing this or similar, maybe on other hosts?

specs: i5-2400 24gb_ddr3 win7_64 reaper_64(pre5) pg-8x_64

phdsg vn chfhn wrote:i noticed some weird behavior.
i still have to figure out if this is a reaper issue or caused by pg-8x.

first thing i ran into was oddly long save times (several seconds) and
gui-stalling (no audio-dropouts) while saving with the project i currently
work on (osc, so it's 10 instances of pg-8x).

next, i was shocked by the amount of space (several gigs) occupied by
undo-data in this project compared to others without pg-8x.

checked my autosave settings to confirm i hadn't changed anything.

then had a look into an .undo file.
compared to normal changes in the daw or changes in other plugins,
pg-8x generates an awful lot of data for every little change in the
undo history (10-20 times of what other plugins use).

so for this project i had to turn of autosaving just because of the annoyance
that it always happens when you don't want a stalled gui for like 10 seconds.
still, when saving manually from time to time it still takes ages to save the undo history.

anybody else experiencing this or similar, maybe on other hosts?

specs: i5-2400 24gb_ddr3 win7_64 reaper_64(pre5) pg-8x_64

I just had a look at one of my reaper projects, and I can confirm that huge amounts of data are saved. I need to investigate what is going on.

In the meantime, instead of completely disabling the undo-history, you can specify to save only minimal undo-data for this plugin only. When you select the plugin from the list (when inserting into a new track) you can right-click, which in reaper will give you some more options how reaper is dealing with this plugin.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”