PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

martin_l wrote: To be honest, I did not really plan to make it commercial, for a simple reason: I just do this in my spare time. I have a quite demanding day-job, and therefore I cannot guarantee that I will be able to keep it supported, to quickly respond to bug reports and so on. I might put a donate button on my page, so if somebody feels like they want to contribute, I would be happy about that.
what a pity, sonicpowa won't ever be able to use your plugin then
unless he's gonna pay you full time for developing it

on second thought, a minor loss so no big deal really, there're enough of us sane and happy with it being and staying a piece of... 'inferior' freeware
sometimes it's hard not to be an asshole © mellotronaut
you work so somebody can rest
Doing sound synthesis if organs is all you get, leave it alone

All Rights Deserved

Sounds very much like my JX-8P, very impressive.

One CPU on my quad core Phenom II peaks at about 45-50%, so usage is a little high.

I will try and program some of the other presets to get an idea of how close to the original it sounds, but I think you instantly get that unique polite analogue sound of the JX.

pocklefo wrote:Sounds very much like my JX-8P, very impressive.
One CPU on my quad core Phenom II peaks at about 45-50%, so usage is a little high.
Oops, that seems to be the record so far! Can you specify which host you are using? Is the Phenom II an Intel or AMD?

I would like to understand why there seem to be so huge differences, with some people reporting about 5-7%, others around 20% and you now see up to 50%...

Which samplerate are you using? At the moment, the synth is oversampled 4-times independent of the host's samplerate, which means that it really will use a whole lot at high samplerates. I am planning to build in a automatic detection of the host's rate.

Cheers,
Martin
Last edited by martin_l on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a 5 note chord on all patches gives me a max of 21% on my old pre SSE2 AMD Athlon XP :)

is it possible to implement a function to send controls to real jx8p ? like some vstI editor for jx8p ... btw there's three versions of jx8p's ... button panels discovered them ... some chorus and tunning things ... i have white panel (where are patches button) and that's so called "phattest" version ...

alavux wrote:is it possible to implement a function to send controls to real jx8p ? like some vstI editor for jx8p ... btw there's three versions of jx8p's ... button panels discovered them ... some chorus and tunning things ... i have white panel (where are patches button) and that's so called "phattest" version ...
Whether I can send controls to the JX-8P depends on the sysex implementation in Synthedit. I have not tried it yet. My priority, however, will be to accept sysex in order to load JX-8P patches.

My JX-8P has light grey patch buttons without the patch names written on it. The colour of the panel itself is dark grey... Which version would that be then?

martin_l wrote:
pocklefo wrote:Sounds very much like my JX-8P, very impressive.
Oops, that seems to be the record so far! Can you specify which host you are using? Is the Phenom II an Intel or AMD?

I would like to understand why there seem to be so huge differences, with some people reporting about 5-7%, others around 20% and you now see up to 50%...

Which samplerate are you using? At the moment, the synth is oversampled 4-times independent of the host's samplerate, which means that it really will use a whole lot at high samplerates. I am planning to build in a automatic detection of the host's rate.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi , i'm using an AMD Phenom II quad with W7 32bit.The DAW is Sonar 7.

It's only one core that sometimes gets to 50% , the others are pretty low..... I have seen this loading of a single core with other plug-ins.

I hope to get the Sonar X1 upgrade at the weekend , that has better multi-core support , so I will update if that distributes the load better.

Still sounds great and very usable because the other cores take the strain.

Just downloaded it and put it in ableton Live.
Man this is a great synth!
Really love it it sounds brilliant and is really good to program,I had some really spacey strings out of it in no time.
Don't stop developing this its excellent.

I used to have a jx10 which I think is two jx8p's and I think you have got the sound right,I'm impressed.
Best wishes,
Steve.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Just wanted to add,I have just made some sounds that were just Like something Boards of Canada would make.
This is wicked man,thanks for sharing this.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

I have the JX10...sounds are very similar, great stuff.

no problemo in Reaper, windows 7 64 bit, CPU fairly light on quad core, more on cores 1 and 4.

cool stuff

martin_l wrote:
alavux wrote:is it possible to implement a function to send controls to real jx8p ? like some vstI editor for jx8p ... btw there's three versions of jx8p's ... button panels discovered them ... some chorus and tunning things ... i have white panel (where are patches button) and that's so called "phattest" version ...
Whether I can send controls to the JX-8P depends on the sysex implementation in Synthedit. I have not tried it yet. My priority, however, will be to accept sysex in order to load JX-8P patches.

My JX-8P has light grey patch buttons without the patch names written on it. The colour of the panel itself is dark grey... Which version would that be then?
that's "warm" version i think , but the latest revision , the combined colours on patch buttons it's a "sad" version of the jx8p ...

Thanks, looks quite interesting. The link is working now.

"Soundtrack" patch is amazing. Love the chorus - it's really soft but at the same time it changes the sounds very dramatically :)

I'd repatched some of my old patchbanks for the original JX8P and it's
sound the same, I can remember - it's great. Here are some examples,
I've recorded beside.

http://www.divshare.com/download/14080605-504

There's so much to do, when I'll patched them all
(about 2.500 Sounds).
Last edited by Schiffbauer on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”