One-Synth-Challenge 26: ZynAddSubFX - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ZynAddSubFX

I give up on this I'm afraid, shame cos the sounds are excellent, particularly the drums and distorted guitars

BUT, crashes Cubase when editing filter cutoff in some drum sounds, fast sequenced sections seem to trigger wrong sounds, and by the time I've got 3 instances running I'm tearing my headphones off after only 2 bars with painful noise spikes which can't be defeated without closing host

Pity cos I was looking forward to this! At the moment though it looks like it's see you all next month... :(

V'ger wrote:Good you got sorted Gorgor. Do you agree in a way it's actually nice with the outside window especially when running only one instance as master, or not?
I'm actually running multiple instances without trouble so far (which is the workflow this old bass player is comfortable with at the moment), so now I'm just digging into the synth itself. Wow this thing is deep! I'm sure I won't do it's depth justice but I'll have fun trying!

glokraw wrote:In reaper, I turned off multi-processing in the menu

options-Preferences-Buffering, unticking:

Anticipative FX Processing

Allow live FX Multiprocessing

and I have 3 instances of zynaddsubfx VST-2.4.1.431beta running, each loading separate parameters, the .xmz sounds. 8) Some fabulous sounds are in there!

Hope this helps someone. :)

Thanks for the research, this indeed helps someone :wink: !!
Now I can load the .xmz files without crashing the whole thing. Browsing the sounds still is a tedious process though since I can load a .xmz file just once per instance. When I try to load another sound it blocks again (even if I erase the parameters first) So I have to open up an new track everytime i want to hear a new sound.

Well, anyhow it seems that other people have more severe issues with this plugin so I wont be complaining any further. I'm a fairly new player in the field of computer music but from what I can tell so far this plugin is one of the best sounding VST's one can find (correct me if I'm wrong)... For me the sound definitely makes up for these small troubles!!

greetings

UPDATE: please also try the recent 448beta, if you experience stability problems :D
Last edited by jackoo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just letting readers know, my submission is up.

Seq24 used for the midi sequencing.
Standalone Linux version used for composition/recording.
7 instruments used. (all but two monophonic)
Each instrument was created from scratch to match up the sounds.
I am fairly sure that I used all builtin effects except wah, Eq, and dynfilter.
Most of it was just fooling around with filters/envelopes.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

IbiM wrote:I have issues trying to load this .xmz files (host = reaper). Whenever I try to (file --> open parameter) the search window pops up for half a second, then disappears again and from then on Zyn doesn't respond to anything anymore.

The only time I am able to load an .xmz file is after I opened a regular instrument (.xiz file) first. This only works one time, whenever I try to load a new one then again zyn doesn't do anything anymore

On top of that strangely enough, whenever this is the case and i close reaper after zyn blocks, then I have to open taskmanager and close reaper.exe within the task manager because the process is still running there.

Anyone can help me out with this, I would like to try out all these sound files paul posted.
Try the latest VSTi. There's a fix particularly for this problem. Please tell me if it did the job
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

It's here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 67#4450512

Thx for the fix, hopefully people can drop the wrappers and just run it as normal VST now.

Gotta say that the range and sound of this synth is just mind blowing.. :o

Just amazing to think the church organ (great organ) are synthesized f.i.

Usually every synth has a certain common denominator sound, but not this one.

If this was cleaned up as a pure VST and entered the commercial market, it would surely be a top seller.

jackoo wrote:UPDATE: please also try the recent 448beta, if you experience stability problems :D
Thanks for your hard work on this wonderful instrument! Once the word spreads...
:shock: 8) :shock:

External effects: Allowed but must be freeware and easily available to all except your DAW's native EQ which is ok. Modulation effects like chorus, phaser, flanger etc or effects that transform the sounds to make them
unrecognizable as being from the synth are not allowed
The majority of native Linux plug-ins are freeware and are also available to all. But not easily available. So can I still use them? Or am I limited to the ones that are also available for Windows/Mac like Linux VST's (MDA, Argotlunar, TAL etc.). Same for external effects other than plug-ins, software like Rakarrack, freqtweak etc. are all freely available, but not easily available. And my DAW does not have a native EQ so can I use plug-ins for this? And do those have to be freely available? Because I'd like to use the linuxDSP LV2 plug-ins I own and those are not free.
Unless specified in the rules thread before the competition, you must use only one virtual synthesizer for all sounds including percussion.
Does this also exclude using multiple instances of a virtual synthesizer? Ie, when I'd like to use more than 16 parts or want to have separate audio outputs (Zyn/Yoshi with Linux don't have per part audio outputs) can I use multiple instances?

Best,

Jeremy

AutoStatic wrote:The majority of native Linux plug-ins are freeware and are also available to all. But not easily available. So can I still use them?
How not easily available? If they are on a site for download that anyone can access (even with login) that's good enough.

Free EQs are allowed, the part about EQ in the rules is just to say it is the only VST included in your DAW that IS allowed, all the rest are not.

And yes multiple instances of all VSTs, including synth are allowed, no limit on that.

Out of curiousity, what DAW are you using?

And welcome to the challenge, fun with Linux synth and DAW entries. :)

V'ger wrote:How not easily available? If they are on a site for download that anyone can access (even with login) that's good enough.
They are on sites that anyone can access, but a lot of those plug-ins (LADSPA, DSSI, LV2) are not available as Windows/Mac binaries, only the source code and maybe a Linux binary. But I think I'll stick with LinuxVST's (native Linux VST plug-ins) or plug-ins for other frameworks of which I know there is a Windows/Mac binary easily available. The MDA VST plug-ins have been ported to the native Linux LV2 plug-in framework for example.
V'ger wrote:Free EQs are allowed, the part about EQ in the rules is just to say it is the only VST included in your DAW that IS allowed, all the rest are not.

And yes multiple instances of all VSTs, including synth are allowed, no limit on that.
Ok, clear :)
V'ger wrote:Out of curiousity, what DAW are you using?
I'm a Qtractor afficionado: http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/
V'ger wrote:And welcome to the challenge, fun with Linux synth and DAW entries. :)
Yeah, that's cool, presumably this is the first challenge that will also include some entries made with Linux?

Best,

Jeremy

There is no requirement plugs be for PC or Mac, generic Linux things is of course fine, but like you say, the MDA stuff will get you a long way.

About Linux entries, I believe Steplton made his stuff using that, but of course Zyn is the first Linux synth we use afaik.

V'ger wrote:There is no requirement plugs be for PC or Mac, generic Linux things is of course fine, but like you say, the MDA stuff will get you a long way.
Hello V'ger, thanks for taking the time to reply. If generic Linux things are ok then I don't have to hold myself back, that's good to know :)

I've decided to create the track(s) I'm going to enter on my little netbook while commuting, using just seq24, Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFX and Qtractor. Quite an extra challenge but so far so good.

Best,

Jeremy

Yea sounds like quite a challenge with not ideal listening conditions, but cool if you make a complete track like that.

Return to “Instruments”