One-Synth-Challenge 26: ZynAddSubFX - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ZynAddSubFX

IbiM wrote:
I have something that it might help the participants. Here is an unsorted dump of all my own settings that I use on zynaddsubfx:
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... 101203.zip

I have issues trying to load this .xmz files (host = reaper). Whenever I try to (file --> open parameter) the search window pops up for half a second, then disappears again and from then on Zyn doesn't respond to anything anymore.

The only time I am able to load an .xmz file is after I opened a regular instrument (.xiz file) first. This only works one time, whenever I try to load a new one then again zyn doesn't do anything anymore

On top of that strangely enough, whenever this is the case and i close reaper after zyn blocks, then I have to open taskmanager and close reaper.exe within the task manager because the process is still running there.

Anyone can help me out with this, I would like to try out all these sound files paul posted.
Hi, try saving a .xmz from your setup (menu 'save all parameters', and see if you can reload it
(menu 'load parameters') If you can, try putting the other ones in the exact same place,
and not in a separate folder.

If that does not work, you may need to use a linux live cd/dvd, where zyn is preconfigured (you can install one to a usbstick)

http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads Try the older stable 8.04 version. If that works,
10.04 may be worth using. 10.10 is still a quandry for audio.

Puppy Studio 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 may be available, they are under under 400 meg, and designed to run in ram from CD or Usbstick, and are also preconfigured.

Cheers

I've been curious about Linux but have never taken the plunge. one question, my interface is an old Mbox. Will a Linux DAW be compatible?

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:I've been curious about Linux but have never taken the plunge. one question, my interface is an old Mbox. Will a Linux DAW be compatible?
Hi, MBox probably not.
If there is a motherboard soundchip, it likely will work for testing purposes.
The gui one deals with is detailed here

http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowTo ... figuration

and a good magazine read, with command options explained

http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/67/J ... Server.pdf

Soundcards with envy24 chipsets are a good bet.

Reaper works great in linux thanks to wineasio, wineasio and wine are part of most linux versions now. This months Linux Format mag dvd has a good collection. pclinuxos
is a good fast and stable version, with an easy installer, and usbsticks work fine to install on, and boot from.

Firewire is well
supported by ffado (who thinks up the crazy linux names :hihi: )

http://www.ffado.org/

If you have pci, some nice older Terratech cards are envy24, and cheap.
A revision 2 m-Audio 24/96 can be found used pretty cheap, and works perfectly.
Delta 44 and 1010 cards work.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Been a long time Linux user for software development... never tried music production in it, though. It seems that driver availability would be a big limiting factor for those using higher end audio interfaces.

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do for this month's contest yet. Sounds like ZynAddSubFx has quite a few issues running as a VST. I could fire up my Ubuntu partition and see what I come up with, but then I'm not working with my familiar tools. Anyone have a first-hand report of this thing running in FL Studio?

Archon1024 wrote:Been a long time Linux user for software development... never tried music production in it, though. It seems that driver availability would be a big limiting factor for those using higher end audio interfaces.

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do for this month's contest yet. Sounds like ZynAddSubFx has quite a few issues running as a VST. I could fire up my Ubuntu partition and see what I come up with, but then I'm not working with my familiar tools. Anyone have a first-hand report of this thing running in FL Studio?
There is a long thread at the link below, with success getting FLS running in wine.
(Drat, I better delete my FLStudio joke from below!)

Focusrite firewire devices are in using ffado, E-mu donated a few cards, and their
0404 and 0202 usb boxes are up and running, and their PCI cards have had
kernel support for a year or so (have not seen the proof yet)
the nice mAudio Delta 1010 is even working with 2 in one computer. Many Edirol interfaces work, Yamaha Audiogram 6 is the latest confirmation, so most class-compliant boxes known to work on a Mac, will also work in linux. The first 8 pages here

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.ph ... order=desc

(the official Linux Audio Spear-Catchers forum :wink: )

will have topics covering recent victories. They even have -------- running in wine. 8)
And it barely runs in ------- :wink: :wink: :lol:
I use Reaper in linux, definitely not a power user, but I don't feel limited.
(I envy those using Sytrus, what a great sounding synth!)

Cheers

Archon1024 wrote:Been a long time Linux user for software development... never tried music production in it, though. It seems that driver availability would be a big limiting factor for those using higher end audio interfaces.

There is a fork of zynaddsubfx, called yoshimi.
Its tweaked for modern linux, uses the same sounds, looks and works the same
and only a few bits are moved around in the gui. It uses a2jmidid, found here

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/

which creates a bridge between alsa midi, and jackd midi.

get yoshimi here:

https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+arch ... /+packages

The old geasor keeps a nice PPA. Get rakarrack and calf for great fx while you're at it!
Get phasex too, another fine linux synth! The links to qjackctl in an earlier post should be a visual help. (its 'jack connect' in ubuntu speak

Start Jack Connect
run command

a2jmidid -j default

start yoshimi (or zynaddsubfx)

press connect on the main Jackconnect gui

In each tab, highlight the item on the left, and its desired destination on the right,
and click the connect button on this page (not the main page) A line appears between them
In the Alsa tab, connect the midi thru to your soundcard
In the Midi tab, connect a2j on the left, to yoshimi on the right
In the Audio tab, connect yoshimi on the left, to System on the right.

For zyn it would likely be just

In the Alsa tab, connect zyn on the right, to your soundcard on the left
In the Audio tab, connect zyn on the left, to System on the right. No midi tab needed.

On the main Jack Connect screen on the middle right, there are

Input device >
Output device >

click the > and a dropdown list of detected soundchips/cards will appear. Choose
which you like, they can be different for input and output, if thats your setup.

If jack connect is running when you make changes, it must be restarted for them to take effect. The settings are saved as .jackdrc

Cheers :)

Ok y'all, I'm up and running, running Zyn as a separate process pretty much did the trick (should have read V'ger's posts a little more carefully the first time...) I'll get something out, even if I lean on the presets a little (Like the Drumkits maybe...)

Uploaded mine. Used about 10 tracks of zyn and some of it's effects + master eq from host, and this early version of a limiter I am working on. (use control screen please, gui is not done.)

Nice one.

And refreshing new type synth sound here in OSC this.

Good you got sorted Gorgor. Do you agree in a way it's actually nice with the outside window especially when running only one instance as master, or not?

V'ger wrote:Nice one.

And refreshing new type synth sound here in OSC this.

Good you got sorted Gorgor. Do you agree in a way it's actually nice with the outside window especially when running only one instance as master, or not?
Seems like it would be less visual clutter to process when just using the synth to work on a song. The more options, the better :)

glokraw wrote:
IbiM wrote:
I have something that it might help the participants. Here is an unsorted dump of all my own settings that I use on zynaddsubfx:
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... 101203.zip

I have issues trying to load this .xmz files (host = reaper). Whenever I try to (file --> open parameter) the search window pops up for half a second, then disappears again and from then on Zyn doesn't respond to anything anymore.

The only time I am able to load an .xmz file is after I opened a regular instrument (.xiz file) first. This only works one time, whenever I try to load a new one then again zyn doesn't do anything anymore

On top of that strangely enough, whenever this is the case and i close reaper after zyn blocks, then I have to open taskmanager and close reaper.exe within the task manager because the process is still running there.

Anyone can help me out with this, I would like to try out all these sound files paul posted.
Hi, try saving a .xmz from your setup (menu 'save all parameters', and see if you can reload it
(menu 'load parameters') If you can, try putting the other ones in the exact same place,
and not in a separate folder.

Thanks for the tip, doesn't work though, I keep having trouble with loading the .xmz files. Am I the only one who has trouble with this? Any more ideas on what could cause the problem?
glokraw wrote:If that does not work, you may need to use a linux live cd/dvd, where zyn is preconfigured (you can install one to a usbstick)

http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads Try the older stable 8.04 version. If that works,
10.04 may be worth using. 10.10 is still a quandry for audio.

Puppy Studio 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 may be available, they are under under 400 meg, and designed to run in ram from CD or Usbstick, and are also preconfigured.
At this moment I don't really want to switch to linux since I want to be able to run Zyn together other VSTs in one song.(apart from the OSC that is of course)

One the other hand it looks all very interesting and fun to explore, if I find the time for it someday (???) I might check that all out.

After some experimenting, using Cantabile 1.2 Lite, and DirectX driver instead of asio, I was able to run two instances of zynaddsubfx VST-2.4.1.431beta.
I could load parameters in one, and banks in the other, but not parameters in
both.
Cheers

In reaper, I turned off multi-processing in the menu

options-Preferences-Buffering, unticking:

Anticipative FX Processing

Allow live FX Multiprocessing

and I have 3 instances of zynaddsubfx VST-2.4.1.431beta running, each loading separate parameters, the .xmz sounds. 8) Some fabulous sounds are in there!

Hope this helps someone. :)

ParadoxUn wrote:Uploaded mine. Used about 10 tracks of zyn and some of it's effects + master eq from host, and this early version of a limiter I am working on. (use control screen please, gui is not done.)
Excellent track.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Thank you! :)

Return to “Instruments”