Interest in Fairlight for Kontakt? (completed)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DubFox wrote:My question was asked under the assumption that using the samples wasn't illegal.
I'm not interested in that area of this discussion.
Great :)
Just wanted to clarify some things.
Sorry if it sounded a little bit rude but my english isn't the best.
Just wanted to save the OP from some serious trouble :)

Cheers
Dennis

Teksonik wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:That SSM filter is yummy sounding.
We have different definitions of "yummy" then..........

Thank god we're not all the same ;)

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
DubFox wrote:My question was asked under the assumption that using the samples wasn't illegal.
I'm not interested in that area of this discussion.
Great :)
Just wanted to clarify some things.
Sorry if it sounded a little bit rude but my english isn't the best.
Just wanted to save the OP from some serious trouble :)

Cheers
Dennis
:tu:

breakmixer wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:It's a registry hack for those that care and there is nothing illegal about employing it.
Hmmm, but that hack would maybe make it work with the 'Free' player version, so maybe it would be against the EULA of N.I.

Just normally third party Nki/nkm(which are not licensed as an N.I. library) will only work 'demo aside' with full Kontakt! I.e. Zero-G paid a license fee to N.I. and Phaedra works with the Free Player...

All a bit confusing...

I think that hack is legal in many countries, if it's not classified as "copy protection technique" and even then should be ok for personal use, but in the other hand sharing information how to hack it might be illegal :)

But sharing Fairlight samples without permission is definitely illegal unless license allows it, since they aren't old enough.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: It's also found in the Korg Polysix......................The filters in Kontakt sound very dated to my ears.
Irony.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Vintage" & "Dated" are not necessarilly mutually inclusive.

If this is the sample set that was posted to the vintagesynth.com forum (which happens to number 33 "disks"), those were taken from the "Digital Domain" sampling CD. Keep in mind that that particular CD has its own muddy history as documented by its original creator:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 47#3200347

So you might want to contact him in addition to everyone else. :)

Other than that, what are you using to do the looping? The samples from the vintagesynth.com forum are a mess. I find Kontakt's built in tools to be horrible for sample manipulation, especially looping.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LBN wrote:If this is the sample set that was posted to the vintagesynth.com forum (which happens to number 33 "disks")
Awesome.

thanks for the tip :)

Was OP trying to pull a fast one on us ? :lol:

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
DubFox wrote:
LBN wrote:If this is the sample set that was posted to the vintagesynth.com forum (which happens to number 33 "disks")
Awesome.

thanks for the tip :)

Was OP trying to pull a fast one on us ? :lol:
In fairness, even using those samples it's still a bit of work to get everything lined up in Kontakt.
Sure, but I was only interested in the samples. And OP 'doesn't remember' where he got 'em :hihi:

Plus there's a 'cosmosis' on the vintagesynth.com forum. Call me skeptical ;)

breakmixer wrote:Do you think Zero-G, Best Service, Wusik and Hollow Sun licensed the useage of the samples also?
I don't know about Best Service and Wusik but to answer the question from my point of view, permission was sought and there was never any objection to my making the 'best of' the old Fairlight samples I have here available, first in Akai S5/6000 format and more recently in Kontakt. Those samples were in Zero-G's 'Nostalgia' which I did for them.

And contrary to the implication in another post (which I know wasn't ill-intentioned), I did not receive a C&D order over this - that was from another manufacturer well known for such things, the irony being I was working with them at the time! :?

Put it this way, I am currently in discussion with Peter Vogel about things to do with his new Fairlight CMI (which I can't discuss) so draw your own conclusions!

A few years ago, the library being discussed here would probably/possibly have slipped under the radar unchallenged but in light of recent events and the re-release of the 'new' CMI and iPad app offshoots, things might be very different and they may be more protective. So proceed with caution.

And as has been stated by others, it doesn't matter that they are being made available for free - if anything, that makes it worse ... at least if they were being charged for, the take up wouldn't be so great and so maybe not such a threat to the IP holder (IYSWIM). But FREE? Everyone will go for it thus devaluing the copyright holder's assets considerably.

I say this with no intention to pass judgement - just answering the question - but I repeat...

Proceed with caution.

Cheers,

Stephen.

if you look up the thread on vintagesynth.com, you'll see that the floppies/samples are freely available from & hosted by fairlightus.com

of course, it may (didn't notice any EULA yet) not be legal to re-distribute - free or otherwise - but certainly as an end-user it seems kosher to download them and use them.

I'm 99.9% sure it's legal to point you to the fairlightus.com files, but don't want to post any direct links in case it rubs the mods up the wrong way.
Last edited by DubFox on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

cosmosis wrote:I do not have permission to use these specific sounds and I'm not even sure where they came from.
I don't think Fairlight did either, given some of the sources that may have been used. Many big name hardware makers also "borrowed" samples from these sources for their own hardware. So it's kind of funny reading some of the comments about copyright given the history. Was there a hardware maker who didn't "borrow" the Fairlight orchestral hit? :)

I agree with the comment about sampling the actual output from a Fairlight though. The raw samples are often pretty terrible from the ones I've heard. The synth itself, particularly the SSM filters (or CEM in early version), was a big part of the sound. So just taking the raw sounds, and placing them in another engine, does miss the point a bit. But sign me up as interested too :)

Return to “Instruments”