Interest in Fairlight for Kontakt? (completed)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dammit, I was wrong. Right composer, wrong piece.

:oops:

Phew, long thread so far. My internet connection is very limited right now, so I just skimmed quickly. I'm gonna post this before reading through more carefully.

I am not trying to pull a fast one on anybody. I will do my best to clear things with everyone involved and do it right. This is my first attempt at a big project, and what a big one it is.

Progress. I'm almost done mapping and looping, which is the bulk of the project. So far 448 .nkis. After a crash-course (and some copypasta) in scripting I added amp envelope and filter. It would have to be a Kontakt built-in one. So far I'm leaning towards the 4-pole LP (mostly to get rid of aliasing). Suggestions? After a crash-course in image editing I came up with two half-acceptable faceplates:

I haven't crammed so much info in my brain since I was in school. And that was a _long_ time ago. I have worked long and hard (lol) and not planning on stopping. I hate to sound like a marketing guy, but the more I work on then and play them, the more I love them. This has to be done, and again I'm sorry, but the alternatives I've tried don't cut it anymore for me.

Answering another one, this was all done in Kontakt. At first it was a nightmare, but I quickly learned some tricks. Mainly, look for patterns, check as you zoom in, and match at the highest level. 100ms x for another level of smooth.

And no answer from Fairlight so far :(

Well, that's it for now.
It's

Hey Cosmo,

if your kontakt patches are using the same samples that are freely hosted elsewhere (such as fairlightus.com or the trimmed ones hosted by the d-collector guy on vintagesynth.com) , maybe you can just release the kontakt files without the samples and let the end user download the samples on their own, matching them up with the kontakt files themselves...

shouldn't that circumnavigate any distribution issues ?

:shrug:

Yea, I did consider it, but I will avoid going that route if possible. That wouldn't be too professional, some people might not know how to put things back together, plus I would have no control over what happens to those samples.

LBN wrote:This thread contains the samples the OP is most likely working with. These are the ones taken from the "Digital Domain" CD. They're usable but require a lot of work. No offense to the creator of the DD CD but it is a mess too. I own the CD and to get anything useful out of it takes a lot of time and patience.

I included links because unless you're a complete retard you can figure it out anyway.
I downloaded the first pack (1-3) and they match mine. Great stuff 8)
It's

Gosh wrote:haven't read the whole thread but the complete fairlight library is already available for kontakt by patrick fridh
http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/kontakt/
he also has the official permission from fairlight to use and sell these samples. i can only comment on the reason refill which is absolutely stunning and based on that great experience i'm also planning of purchasing the kontakt version.
cheers
Exactly that Link i've posted earlier!

Well, I'm not sure if I'm expected to respond to that, but I will. I, hereby, in a friendly way, intend to challenge the following statement (formats aside):
Bitley wrote:Our Fairlight CMI Legacy refills for Reason (version 4 and up) are probably the best 3rd party Reason refills ever made.

:)
It's

I understand the Bitley Reason refills, which are finished, are supposed to be good, but I have the Kontakt version, a work in progress, and I can tell you there isn't much there yet. Out of about 1GB there are only a handful of sounds that I find useable so far. Hopefully it won't be years before it's finished, but I can't recommend getting it yet unless you want to contribute to development of the patches.

DeePho wrote:
Gosh wrote:haven't read the whole thread but the complete fairlight library is already available for kontakt by patrick fridh
http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/kontakt/
he also has the official permission from fairlight to use and sell these samples. i can only comment on the reason refill which is absolutely stunning and based on that great experience i'm also planning of purchasing the kontakt version.
cheers
Exactly that Link i've posted earlier!
That library also has the distinct advantage of being sampled directly from the output of a Fairlight CMI IIx, rather than being built with the raw samples taken from the floppies. That's got to be a plus, although he doesn't mention what equipment he used to record the samples.

Also, on the topic of copyright/licensing etc...
bitley wrote:Fairlight Series III samples are said to be "not okay" to use by Fairlight in Australia, who wishes to keep the licenses and possibilities to use those sounds for their own product (the upcoming new $17,000 + freight and tax CMI).
http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/refills/fairlight/
(3rd comment down)

If I owned Reason I'd probably be all over that refill, but if the kontakt library is sparse I'm not too keen on the idea on paying full price for a work-in-progress.

From the Bitlet site I was directed to a thread over at Propellerheads where I learned that they indeed sampled the FL's output, although not many details, like if it was chromatically. That would account for the size (the floppy samples itself are 189MB). Can't imagine the work involved in trimming and looping all those samples :shock:

BTW, that quote speaks of FL III sounds. These are IIx.
It's

DubFox wrote: That library also has the distinct advantage of being sampled directly from the output of a Fairlight CMI IIx, rather than being built with the raw samples taken from the floppies. That's got to be a plus, although he doesn't mention what equipment he used to record the samples.
The sample set OP is using were also recorded from the output of a Fairlight CMI IIx. They are not conversions of the disk data.

I like the 2nd interface best.

LBN wrote:
DubFox wrote: That library also has the distinct advantage of being sampled directly from the output of a Fairlight CMI IIx, rather than being built with the raw samples taken from the floppies. That's got to be a plus, although he doesn't mention what equipment he used to record the samples.
The sample set OP is using were also recorded from the output of a Fairlight CMI IIx. They are not conversions of the disk data.
Oh, kool, good to know - thx!

Most sounds that are supposed to be looped go through a few cycles before fading out, so even though Kontakt is doing looping, it is looping through at least one FL cycle, so what comes out is how it would sound if FL was doing all the looping. Hopefully that made sense. English is not my first language. I think the most awesome ones are the sound effects (think old Tomb Raider ambient sounds). Many scream industrial. Does anyone know who was involved in the editing/looping? (ramble..) The cap shows how the sample was looped 4 times by the FL, then Kontakt loops through two cycles. This is probably obvious, but just saying :P

And if anyone is still interested in the progress. I somehow managed to have the knobs show values in the correct units, instead of 0-127. Also added bit crusher. I will soon start injecting the script, one by one (498 x nki!) (unless there's a way to batch it?), so I'll probably just get once chance, so if there's good ideas for something else, I'd like to hear. Same with the skin.

It's

Maybe try AutoHotkey ...

Interesting. I'll take a look.
It's

Return to “Instruments”