NI:s new Studio drummer - kills Superior drummer 2 and BFD2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a bit off-topic, but regarding "preset" drum grooves...

Does anyone know where one could download meticulous MIDI versions of famous drum grooves? I'm talking tracks like Mike Clark's "Actual Proof", Stewart Copeland's "Walking On The Moon", Pretty Purdie's "Babylon Sisters", Gadd's "50 ways", Jeff Porcaro's shuffle and so on?

There are MIDI interpretations of those whole tunes for sure...but they're all over the place and vary wildly and rarely focus on the drum track at all.

Not sure there are many places you could find those, but if you check out various drum extracting software you could get them from the tracks themselves.

They're notoriously hard pieces of software to get working, but if you can tweak them just right you can extract the MIDI drums from original tracks.

There's a few free ones in the KVR database.

:shock:

This is too good to be true. I mean, it's just disgustingly good so far........must be a fatal flaw somewhere :shrug:

klagga wrote:http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... o-drummer/

Sorry, couldn't resist comparing it with Superior drummer 2 and BFD2... Let a new KvR fanboy war begin! :hihi:
Here at KVR you can't compare nothing,if you don't put Sylenth1 in the competion
:lol:
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

I hope not based audiodemos i like more Toontrack stuff. and BFD2 is very buggy last time when i tested it over half hour its crashed without good reason....

One thing I discovered is that when you load, there are q's and comp and such already on unlike TT.

I don't like the grooves that have "ghost" note in them though......why would you have ghost notes at that volume AND using "rolls" :roll:

The whole system of grooves is better than I thought it would be.

hibidy wrote:One thing I discovered is that when you load, there are q's and comp and such already on unlike TT.

I don't like the grooves that have "ghost" note in them though......why would you have ghost notes at that volume AND using "rolls" :roll:

It sounds like you bought it.

Does it allow you to add other midi grooves, like the ones from Groove Monkey?

I have EZ Drummer and I have been looking at the Kontakt SD because it looks really good.

P.T. wrote:
hibidy wrote:One thing I discovered is that when you load, there are q's and comp and such already on unlike TT.

It sounds like you bought it.

Does it allow you to add other midi grooves, like the ones from Groove Monkey?

I have EZ Drummer and I have been looking at the Kontakt SD because it looks really good.
Yeah, I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the crossgrade to K8 (I really wanted GR5 and K5)

The answer to your question is allegedly yes, but I haven't done it myself. If I forget to try it a bit later, just keep asking. I am guessing though that the mapping is going to be off unless you somehow use ezplayer.

TBH, I'm pretty impressed for the most part with what is there though (sans velocity for each kit piece, that seems to not be anywhere)

A quote from another forum:
You can send the MIDI from your host:

Studio Drummer manual wrote:
Mapping Presets
STUDIO DRUMMER also comes with a selection of mapping presets that are set up to work with popular software and electronic drum setups. These include General MIDI, V-Drums (two options), DrumIt Five, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, BFD, iMap, and Addictive Drums.

These mappings can be selected from the PRESET drop-down menu in the MIDI MAPPING area. If you want to make changes to these mappings, you can always do so and save the mapping preset under a different name.
Studio Drummer has loads of MIDI Grooves of its own, in 8 genres. They can be dragged into the host for editing too. I don't know if any grooves can be added to SD's Library.
Havent figured out how to import though :roll:

pljones wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Playing a poor kit like a real drummer will always give better results imho ...... than the opposite .......
That's what I meant about splitting out the grooves. A well recorded set of MIDI grooves with great feel would probably make any library sound better, and therefore be worth selling. However, if you're a drummer with an e-kit, you probably want your drums to sound like you playing them. So I see two completely different things to sell:
Grooves - for those who don't drum (as well as they'd like)
Drum libraries - for those who want drum sounds (drummers/non-drummers alike)

But I object (a little :)) to paying extra for the grooves when I don't need them and I imagine there are people who'd love to pick up extra grooves for the drum libraries they have, without investing constantly in new samples.
The person who replied to you is exactly correct and as a drummer I can relate. I would never ever use a midi track I didn't program.

So instead of looking for the best "drum program" you should focus on buying sample libraries. Once you find a good website you can find great sample packs that have drums recorded through great preamps, particularly for hip hop styles I've found way better results with a $35 sample library loaded into drum racks (live) or battery than chasing the best program.

I went in way deep with BFD and totally hate it except when I want the drums to sound live recorded. But for urban styles BFDs electronic kits were a joke in terms of getting the right sounds.

I found I was constantly looking for the "best" program to provide modern sounds and was just chasing my tail around. Most of the users are not drummers and use things like "humanize" an awful function, what drummer doesn't aim for consistency, programs that randomize velocity and timing without aiming for a consistent groove are off the mark.

Basically I've been in your shoes and found the answer in sample libraries. PM me if you'd like and I'll tell you where I get mine.

These are the samples used by real producers in pop production.

MrDuke wrote:This is a bit off-topic, but regarding "preset" drum grooves...

Does anyone know where one could download meticulous MIDI versions of famous drum grooves? I'm talking tracks like Mike Clark's "Actual Proof", Stewart Copeland's "Walking On The Moon", Pretty Purdie's "Babylon Sisters", Gadd's "50 ways", Jeff Porcaro's shuffle and so on?

There are MIDI interpretations of those whole tunes for sure...but they're all over the place and vary wildly and rarely focus on the drum track at all.
Its super easy to find midi recordings of all these songs for free that you can import in multitrack version. I have no idea why you are having trouble.
It'll be a pain to remap the notes but use google and PM if you get stuck. I often want to borrow a melody I can't transcribe and use midi to do that cuz I suck at transcribing anything in the high end. Drum beats get transcribed automatically in my head as I listen due to reading as a child, so I'll check my usual sources and see if the drum tracks are particularly difficult, I usually am just trying to steal a bassline or melody. You have to make sure your program (like live) can detect and import the midi parts into multiple tracks.

I think what we're all dying to know is how many levels of hihat openness??
Seeing as no mention of such is forthcoming, my guess would be to expect no more than the usual two positions.

Everything NI is top grade IMO

IMO the Abbey Road series (which now borrows the features from studio drummer) has the much better sound and variety. Actually, the best drum sounds I have heard so far! Much much better than I ever would be able to record it...

Here is the question that will answer if Studio drummer is better than the rest. Personally I think it comes down to hi hat articulation control mapping for the the td 20 and 30.

This means open close with and without hits and at different levels open half open almost closed closed and closed tight. SD2 can mimic this perfectly however there is no factory preset for it which is kinda mind boggling.

For a drum program this is a feature that has to be present in order for it to be usable in a live or played situation.

The TD 20 and 30 hi hats are a tricky things to get mapped right. If this is possible then I would say that Kontakt is on to something. However I bet there isn't 100% compatibility with the hi hat articulation. Hopefully I am wrong on this but from past experience with kontakt based drum libs I am skeptical about compatibility with the hi hat.
The sleeper must awaken.

Return to “Instruments”