Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

I reported earlier that charlatan was not visible on my xp machine.
Just before I installed w7 on that machine I looked at the specs...
It was still running XP sp1!
A strange thing is Tyrell n6 v1 was usable !

I am currently working on a large sound bank for Charlatan, to take advantage of the new features added in the latest versions.
128 patches spread over 4 complete sets of 32 presets (some of them are revised versions of patches included in my previous banks), plus an interesting addition :D (you will know at the right time).

karrikuh wrote:
brok landers wrote:
ENV1 wrote:If it doesnt scan it (anymore) then it probably put it in the sh*tlist during an earlier scan.

Reset and try again.
nope. the blacklist is empty. it's just like i said. s1 v.2.0.6/7 (win xp pro sp3) simply doesn't see it.
this is since the last 2 versions. the versions before were perfectly working in s1.
So I went and installed both S1 2.0.7 and latest FL Studio 10.9 demo in a Win XP SP3 virtual machine. I found that both recognize and load latest Charlatan release just fine! Sorry if I can't help you here since right now I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong on your system...
well, i wish i could tell you... everything's just fine... it's only charlatan that isn't being seen here... 2 versions ago it worked...
anyway, don't worry, just wanted to let you know... :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Sorry if it already has been asked before (it surely has been dozens of times), but is there a midi learn on this? And if not, what are the hard coded MIDI CC's? I would love to map my keyboard for this. :)

chk071 wrote:Sorry if it already has been asked before (it surely has been dozens of times), but is there a midi learn on this? And if not, what are the hard coded MIDI CC's? I would love to map my keyboard for this. :)
No, there's no MIDI parameter control because IMO this should be handled by the host application. For example, REAPER, which I'm using, has a very easy to use MIDI learn feature.

brok landers wrote:
karrikuh wrote:
brok landers wrote:
ENV1 wrote:If it doesnt scan it (anymore) then it probably put it in the sh*tlist during an earlier scan.

Reset and try again.
nope. the blacklist is empty. it's just like i said. s1 v.2.0.6/7 (win xp pro sp3) simply doesn't see it.
this is since the last 2 versions. the versions before were perfectly working in s1.
So I went and installed both S1 2.0.7 and latest FL Studio 10.9 demo in a Win XP SP3 virtual machine. I found that both recognize and load latest Charlatan release just fine! Sorry if I can't help you here since right now I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong on your system...
well, i wish i could tell you... everything's just fine... it's only charlatan that isn't being seen here... 2 versions ago it worked...
anyway, don't worry, just wanted to let you know... :)
There's still hope that I get it working again eventually. The problem occurs with the new Microsoft C++ compiler 2012 which, in its initial release, has given up Win XP support so I had to resort to some workaraound I found in the web (I really wanted to use the new compiler as it features much improved support for the latest C++11 standard which in turn provides enhancements that greatly improve programming experience). The workaround seems to work nicely in my test and I hope for most users stuck with XP?! For whatever reason, it might still not be perfect, which may be why you are experiencing issues. The good news is, however, that recently MS has announced that they plan to reintroduce official XP support in a future release of the compiler (hopefully to be released in the next few months).

I'm using Charlatan on WinXP SP3 32bit in Cubase 6.0 without any problems by the way!

Cheers
Dennis

Just DL'd and loaded onto a very old (1st gen Athlon-64) machine running Win Xp Pro with the latest SP3 updates*.

Loaded in Cantabile Solo 2.0 and Chainer, and it works fine.

Nice synth - thank you 8)

*which I "selectively" install, not just 'allow' to be installed in the background.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

karrikuh wrote:
chk071 wrote:Sorry if it already has been asked before (it surely has been dozens of times), but is there a midi learn on this? And if not, what are the hard coded MIDI CC's? I would love to map my keyboard for this. :)
No, there's no MIDI parameter control because IMO this should be handled by the host application. For example, REAPER, which I'm using, has a very easy to use MIDI learn feature.
Thanks. I still hope you'll be able to implement a midi learn function in the future though, as it is a bit of a pain in the ass with MANY host applications. Much easier to do in the plugin itself. Hence nearly every plugin has it nowadays.

A simple config file would be enough i bet

If you use several daws and want a very simple way to get exactly the same controls mapped you could look at MUX. Not free, but in terms of utility you get a lot more than just midimapping from it. I don't want to ninja the topic so look it up or maybe pm me (there's a thread about it also). Im not endorsed or have anything to gain except the joy of helping :)

(though i can say, that with mux, you can layer several charlatans for ultrafat unison sounds, you can make a chorder (ie press one key, play a chord), you can modulate any parameter .... the list is looooooooong - all to be saved as a preset that you can load in any host and it will be just the same there as where you first created it)
:hug:

Unfortunately, under Linux with WINE+REAPER it doesn't work((( Did somebody try to launch Charlatan under linux? or maybe someone know dlls that synth needs?

Crackbaby wrote:A simple config file would be enough i bet

If you use several daws and want a very simple way to get exactly the same controls mapped you could look at MUX. Not free, but in terms of utility you get a lot more than just midimapping from it. I don't want to ninja the topic so look it up or maybe pm me (there's a thread about it also). Im not endorsed or have anything to gain except the joy of helping :)

(though i can say, that with mux, you can layer several charlatans for ultrafat unison sounds, you can make a chorder (ie press one key, play a chord), you can modulate any parameter .... the list is looooooooong - all to be saved as a preset that you can load in any host and it will be just the same there as where you first created it)
Thx for the tip, but Mux is a bit above my budget i guess... it's no coincidence that i sneak into a freeware thread here. :hihi: Anyway, i guess i'll figure it out, even though it seems that, with my Cubase version (Elements 6), it's even more of a pain in the ass, as it doesn't feature the "Quick controls" of the bigger Cubase versions. Anyway, i don't give up hope that Karrikuh will one day implement a midi learn function. Because really, i know Reaper has a very nice, easy to handle midi learn function, but i also know that many other hosts do not. Don't want to sound ungrateful though, i like this synth, midi learn or not. :)

Erm, one question. When i midi learn Charlatan in Reaper, will the changes be saved in the Charlatan dll, so the change of the Midi CC's will also apply to Cubase 6 Elements when i load Charlatan there? Or does it stay Reaper internal then?

im 99.999999% sure it's only stored in reaper
:hug:

Well, i guess you're right, at least it would be pretty weird if the host could change the dll. I guess the plugin has to have a midi learn function to write it into the dll.

Return to “Instruments”